Finally ready for a “wall tent” style tent… Kodiak canvas 12x12?

After 3 years of elk hunting my hunting partner and I have decided we finally need a bomb proof truck camp setup. First year we went out with my Cimmeron and that was it… Talk about miserable (especially considering it got down to -15F!)

Next time I bought a SO 8 man, it worked, but we had four in camp, and even with some extra tents for sleeping the 8 man was tight. But the weather was fairer so it wasn’t so bad.

This past year we also had the 8 man with three. It was about perfect for backpacking in, but it was still cramped for near the truck, especially when the temps plummeted into the single digits. We tagged out on the first day and once the meat hauling began we longed for something a bit more spacious and comfortable.

Hunting wise what we are doing works, we’ve been into elk all 3 years and filled tags the past two years. We typically spike in for 2-3 days at a time on a 7 day hunt. Usually we get a hotel mid way through the week but that can cut significantly into hunting time, not to mention expense.

We’ve come to the conclusion that the lightweight tipis just aren’t that great for a base camp setup near the truck. The shape isn’t conducive to cots, the condensation issues are sort of a pain, and the titanium stoves, while awesome in the backcountry burn out fast when trying to R&R. Overall they are just too cramped outside of the backpacking/backcountry environment in inclement weather. We’re actually thinking about ditching tipis all together and going super light and running tarps when we backpack in next year, but that’s a subject of another thread.

Bottom line we want some sort of wall tent set up that can sleep 2-4 comfortably. Many years it might just be us, but occasionally a mutual friend wants to try elk hunting (usually discovering that being successful means a lot of work and a lot of suck, and it’s not just cool Instagram shots!😂)

I looked at the Alaknak series hard but I’ve come to the conclusion that Canvas is better for the purpose of a truck camp. I do want something floored for use with the family during warmer months.

I’m leaning heavily toward this.

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/12x12-cabin-lodge-and-stove-bundle/

I assume a 12x12 tent will do us fine most of the time, with the awning we can expand things a bit if we add some folks to camp. Anyone use this setup? Thoughts?

We also have come to the conclusion that a trailer is necessary. Once the extra gear comes out of the 150 and 110 qt coolers and the meat goes in, the short bed Tundra gets small quick.🤔

Interested to hear thoughts on Kodiak canvas, or if anyone else has gone through a similar evolution when it comes to what tent(s) you take on a hunt.

ETA this is for rifle season btw.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
For a week long elk hunt I wouldn’t want more than two people in my Kodiak 10x14 flex bow. With gear, etc 2 would be perfect. Any more and we would be short in space.

The cabin style looks to have more room

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally, for 2-4 plus a wood stove, I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 14x16 wall tent. I also wouldn't want a permanently attached floor.........because of the stove, and also for keeping things clean and fully drying the tent.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Davis Tent X3, get yourself a package with cylinder stove.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Alaknak and Davis wall tent for truck camping and packing in with animals. Davis tent is harder to set up but I think it will be warmer and last you longer (20+ years). Alaknak is very easy to set up but condensation can be an issue and it has a floor which I don’t like. Just get very light weight carpet to roll out

LaHunter

WKR
I used a Cabela's Alaknak in WY during October for a few years and it did pretty good for me, surviving all kinds of WY weather & wind. It is easier to set up vs a canvas wall tent, but when it's cold and really windy, you can't stop the drafts because the Alaknak has screen vents that don't have closures on them. I now have a 12X14 Davis wall tent with a wood burning stove, and I will never consider going back to an Alaknak. A canvas wall tent is the best truck camping / base camp option in my opinion. 2 people max in a 12X14 size tent with a stove, cots, and gear. As far as a floor goes, the detachable floor is the way to go. I used to not understand this, but since I have gone to a canvas wall tent with a detachable floor, I now realize this is the way to go. Just have a good 'mouse defense system' in place, which includes glue traps and poison.

svivian

WKR
This is my Kodiak cabin tent that’s about 15 years old. Great for 2 to 3 people max. If a SO 8 man was too small you’re going to need a large wall tent to meet your needs.

AC8C21F0-631C-4751-A7D5-0872C6CAF1BA.jpeg

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Our setup for four works well and rhymes with what others are recommending. I can't remember the dimensions of the canvas wall tent, but two in the wall tent + wood stove + cots + eating area. The other two go in a camping style tent that fits two cots and we can stand in with a mr heater buddy. We only run the stove/heater when we're getting ready otherwise, we have zero degree down bags for sleeping in the cold. For a floor, we use a tarp with a cut out for the stove that works well. We also have a tarp on the roof with a cutout for the stove.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 10x14 flexbow. It will fit 3 cots and a table but I don't hang out in it. Easy to warm up not as easy to dry clothes out in. Handles the wind great but will lean to help absorb the pressure. Snow hasn't been a problem but I've never had it out where dumped feet at a time.
Packs smaller and wieght less than a wall tent easy set up even for one guy. Honestly my biggest concern is finding a suitable spot as 10x14 is a large foot print.
ccb7002e654bfbb1aee9aad1c13438d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Our setup for four works well and rhymes with what others are recommending. I can't remember the dimensions of the canvas wall tent, but two in the wall tent + wood stove + cots + eating area. The other two go in a camping style tent that fits two cots and we can stand in with a mr heater buddy. We only run the stove/heater when we're getting ready otherwise, we have zero degree down bags for sleeping in the cold. For a floor, we use a tarp with a cut out for the stove that works well. We also have a tarp on the roof with a cutout for the stove.
Yeah this is the only reason I keep coming back to the Kodiak lodge vs a traditional wall tent like Davis, the modularity of the system.

Just the 12x12 would be really comfortable with me and my buddy. I could set it up solo for camping with the kiddo. We could add the 8x8 awning if we wanted to add people to camp, have an enclosed cook/eating area, etc.

Keeping in mind I still have the 8 man tipi which we could throw 1-2 guests in as well. There is a reason we want a wall tent, but I wouldn’t feel bad throwing a camp guest in there with a buddy heater or the stove. I have the liners to help with the condensation as well.

All that being said, this is an investment and I want to be fully informed of all my options. Max budget for this is probably 2k. Not opposed to a traditional wall tent, but they are definitely more expensive when I budget all the features I want.

A 14x16 wall tent would probably be ideal, but if it’s just the two of us trying to fit that in a small footprint I’d probably have some purchase regret.

Several years back I joined a friend on a Nevada hunt. He had a Kodiak cabin tent with the enclosed awning and ran a propane tank top Mr. Heater 30 - 45 K (
). The 12x12 with awning and tank top heater (this heater will cook you out of the tent in a few minutes) can work very well for 3. If you want to run a heater all night you might consider a NuWay or smaller Mr. Heater, buddy heater or the like. Or a wood stove.

The 12x12 Kodiak is significantly less bulk than a wall then and frame, made of canvas so it still breaths, and is fairly quick to set up and take down. Their 10x10 can easily work for 2 guys with cots, but does not have the option of an awning (you of course could make something work.

Fatcamp

WKR
This is my Kodiak cabin tent that’s about 15 years old. Great for 2 to 3 people max. If a SO 8 man was too small you’re going to need a large wall tent to meet your needs.

View attachment 468857

We have this one with the enclosed vestibule. Set our kitchen and food up in the vestibule and heat the cabin with a Big Buddy heater.

With us, two teenagers, and a 70# dog it works well, but we are a close family.

We have had it for years and used it all over with great results.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 4 on cots in my 10X14 KC. This was sleeping only. With 4 cots there was no extra space. Three on cots is better, there is a little room for a small table. It is ideal for two.

OP
B
Alright now I’m sort of leaning Davis 14x15 or even 12x15 with a cook shack?

Still a little concerned with the lack of a true floor for family camping in the warmer months however. Completely comfortable with floorless in Oct in the Rockies, but in Ohio in May and Sept the wife might prefer a sewn in floor.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sewn in floor in wall tent adds a lot of weight and bulk. I've got a 16x20 Davis tent setup that I've decided I'm going to sell, but there's no way I'm shipping it lol. My group has shrunk from when I bought it, just way too much tent for my needs now. With 4 or more people it's perfect though.