Finally ready for a “wall tent” style tent… Kodiak canvas 12x12?

idcuda

WKR
Agree with those saying buy two Kodiak canvas 10x14 flex bow deluxe setups. Two people per tent with buddy heaters. You'll have plenty of room and warmth.

OP
B
After much consideration I think I’m going to go 14x16 Davis wall tent. I’ll get the full detached floor, might not be 100% bug/snake proof but neither is my house for that matter.

It’s not cheap ($2500 for everything) but it’s a long term investment, and a helluva lot cheaper than a camper/travel trailer.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
The 10x14 kodiak flex bow setup is great for 2 guys and just run a Lil buddy off a 20lb bottle. And not worry about wood. They hold heat surprisingly well. And for 700$ vs 2k+ for a wall tent can't go wrong

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After much consideration I think I’m going to go 14x16 Davis wall tent. I’ll get the full detached floor, might not be 100% bug/snake proof but neither is my house for that matter.

It’s not cheap ($2500 for everything) but it’s a long term investment, and a helluva lot cheaper than a camper/travel trailer.
Living in Colorado I use mine 30-40 nights a year. If you use it a lot, the average cost per night really brings it into perspective. So $2500 for one night........or $250/night for a 10 day hunt. Or like me......I'm right around $1.70-$2.00 per night in my 15 year old Davis 14x16 ($800 in 2008). And that average drops every time I use it.

To chime in with the rest, don't put more than 2 folks in the 10x14 Kodiak. I used mine solo for elk camp this year and it was great, but 2 would have been a bit tighter, and 3-4 would have just sucked. If you're going the Davis route, get either a legit wood stove or the Big Buddy heater. The 18k on those is awesome. Just bring a few 5gallon propane tanks and you'll be golden.

Gone4Days

WKR
I had both a Davis Wall Tent and a Kodiak 10x14 flexbow. I only kept one…. the Kodiak. So much lighter, easier to set up, easier to store, etc.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Smart move on the 14x16! A comfortable camp makes all the difference. I sold my tipi and stove with ZERO regrets. A hot wall tent is absolutely amazing for moral while hunting.

Anybody run the Kodiaks in heavy, wet snow? How do they hold up?
The tent does great. Shovel out the edges daily and you’re good to go. The awning doesn’t like it. I had to scrape my awning a couple times a day. It doesn’t drain water perfectly (at least how I had it set up) and snow won’t roll off it. When that freezes, it gets so heavy it starts pulling on the front of the tent. A foot or two of snow would have been a problem with my awning.

OP
B
Smart move on the 14x16! A comfortable camp makes all the difference. I sold my tipi and stove with ZERO regrets. A hot wall tent is absolutely amazing for moral while hunting.
My tipis still have there place as spiking in a few miles has worked out quite well for us.

But when the packout begins, the temps plummet, or just after 3-4 days on the mountain the tipi just doesn’t cut it IMO.

TxxAgg

WKR
The tent does great. Shovel out the edges daily and you’re good to go. The awning doesn’t like it. I had to scrape my awning a couple times a day. It doesn’t drain water perfectly (at least how I had it set up) and snow won’t roll off it. When that freezes, it gets so heavy it starts pulling on the front of the tent. A foot or two of snow would have been a problem with my awning.
I just cut the awning off mine. That is the one thing I dont like about these tents. Otherwise, I love my 10x10.

I just cut the awning off mine. That is the one thing I dont like about these tents. Otherwise, I love my 10x10.
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but they need modification. One of the earlier posts in this thread showed the awning with a strong down and outward lean which would shed water well, but doesn't leave much room for walking under. After this years elk camp, I've been daydreaming options. I think I'm going to have a local canvas company sew 4 sleeve pockets into the awning, get a few spring steel rods like my hunting blind uses, and try to make a dome essentially out of the awning. That should keep it from holding too much snow/water without adding a ton of work to the setup of things.

Alaknak for me. In AZ I don’t need mice scorpions and snakes coming in. I have a 12x20 and it would be ok for 4 guys including a stove. It’s easier to setup and lighter to setup solo if need be.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but they need modification. One of the earlier posts in this thread showed the awning with a strong down and outward lean which would shed water well, but doesn't leave much room for walking under. After this years elk camp, I've been daydreaming options. I think I'm going to have a local canvas company sew 4 sleeve pockets into the awning, get a few spring steel rods like my hunting blind uses, and try to make a dome essentially out of the awning. That should keep it from holding too much snow/water without adding a ton of work to the setup of things.
Can also just flip it backwards and tie out.

NB7

WKR
You can also just roll it up. The awning on this tent isn't the greatest. It's really only good for creating a place to stop and take your boots or gear off if it's raining. In my picture ealrier, I did have it pitched that way because if it does rain that's the best way to divert the water so it doesn't collect back at the seam between the awning and the main body.

Gone4Days

WKR
I bought an extra awning pole for $9 and cut about 4” off the bottom. Now when I set up the awning it has a slight tilt to one side and shed water without pooling.

You can also just roll it up. The awning on this tent isn't the greatest. It's really only good for creating a place to stop and take your boots or gear off if it's raining. In my picture ealrier, I did have it pitched that way because if it does rain that's the best way to divert the water so it doesn't collect back at the seam between the awning and the main body.
I considered that, but with the snow we were having it gave me a sheltered spot to kick most of the snow off my boots before going into the tent. I had some rugs thrown on the floor, and I tried keeping them dry as I could. So I like having the awning, but would like it to work a bit better

Reactions: NB7

Superdoo

WKR
I'd take a hard look at a White Duck Avalon. You get a lot for your money there. I have a 16.5 foot Regatta and you could sleep four with a stove and still have room for a table.