Final decision scope on my 6.5prc?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8-15-23
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

So after my 10 day waiting period, Friday I decide on a 4x14 vortex viper, or a 4x14 leupold?? Leaning towards leupold after 50 years. Don't care to shoot over 500 yards. So what do I mount friday?

Highly recommend you look at this before you buy another leupold, or vortex for that matter.

This one lost zero riding in the backseat of a truck; let alone a horseback ride up to 14k feet.

If you want simple, reliable, durable strongly consider the nightforce SHV 3-10. You can get it in a plain duplex or a holdover type reticle. Trijicon is also doing well.

OP
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Highly recommend you look at this before you buy another leupold, or vortex for that matter.

This one lost zero riding in the backseat of a truck; let alone a horseback ride up to 14k feet.

If you want simple, reliable, durable strongly consider the nightforce SHV 3-10. You can get it in a plain duplex or a holdover type reticle. Trijicon is also doing well.
Thx, but 52 years shooting leupolds. Don't want knobs. turning, tell me distance, dead. 300 kills with leupold.

Sled

WKR
Thx, but 52 years shooting leupolds. Don't want knobs. turning, tell me distance, dead. 300 kills with leupold.

Do what you'd like but you could save some cash on a Burris fullfield. I don't run Leupold or vortex on my scopes that need to retain zero...knobs or no knobs.

Edit: if you have a 52 year old Leupold it'd be more trustworthy than the new ones.

jimh406

WKR
Which Leupold are you considering?

As far as the test goes, ”one” test from one person doesn’t mean a lot to me. I’m not saying anything was inherently wrong with the testing, but it seems that we’d be hearing more about failures if the model was complete crap. But hey, maybe we’ll be hearing about those soon. We’ll see.

ElPollo

WKR
A 52 year-old habit is hard to change, but there’s plenty of evidence showing that Leupold has changed for the worse in that time and that Vortex wasn’t that great from the start. If you want non-dialers that are likely to be more reliable at holding zero, look at the Trijicon Huron series. A friend of mine who is all about walnut and blued steel put one of their 3-12s on his 300 mag and loves it.

WKR
I'd say buy a leupold and let us know how it goes. Tons of them for sale on the classifieds forum here lately for some reason.

Just because a scope has turrets doesn’t mean you have to dial with it. Find a scope with an MOA or Mil reticle, do the math on where your yardages correspond to the hash marks, and use it like a bdc reticle.

It seems that the leupold guys are the most defensive about the testing done here. Just try and read the tests as well as the comments with an open mind. Just because you haven’t had issues with yours doesn’t mean other people made up their negative experiences. I owned 2 VX3HD’s recently and they were great for the year I owned them. But as I honed in on what I wanted in my rifles, they went down the road and were replaced by Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42’s.

To me it makes sense to put together as reliable of a rifle system as possible. I’d strongly suggest looking into Nightforce, Trijicon, Swfa before making an emotional decision on a Leupold or Vortex

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
So after my 10 day waiting period, Friday I decide on a 4x14 vortex viper, or a 4x14 leupold?? Leaning towards leupold after 50 years. Don't care to shoot over 500 yards. So what do I mount friday?
If you’ve had great luck with the Leupold, then stick with them. There is a lot to be said with being familiar and comfortable with a scope type, similar eye relief and similar reticles. People are passionate in the drop tests and it does have some great info in there. You asked between the two options though so I am sticking to your two given ones so stay with Leupold.

I looked at this review and maybe missed it, but was this scope mounted with the rings lapped? I personally have found that a scope that doesn't hold zero isn't necessarily always the scope. You have to look at the whole mounting system before just saying the scope is "junk". Most if not all of the problems, I have encountered have been remedied with lapping the rings, torque wrenching to proper specs, and locktite. I've found if the rings aren't lapped properly the consistently of pressure on the scope isn't held in a uniform manner by the ring, Because the pressure is isn't uniform across the scope, under recoil it tends to move. I believe this accounts for more point of impact change than anything.

I understand you get what we pay for and I'm not arguing that there is a better scope out there than the Nightforce. In my own testing the repeatability and reliability of every Nightforce scope I've worked with has been substantial. However, I never have had trouble with many Leupolds and Vortex scopes holding zero using the techniques stated above. Some have taken more work than others, but all the ones that I have mounted have held zero year after year even with hard use. Tracking and adjustment on these lower end scopes has been another story. If you plan on dialing, I would encourage everyone to shoot a vertical adjustment test because I've found a lot of discrepancy in adjustments stated by manufacture and what I've measured.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Which Leupold are you considering?

As far as the test goes, ”one” test from one person doesn’t mean a lot to me. I’m not saying anything was inherently wrong with the testing, but it seems that we’d be hearing more about failures if the model was complete crap. But hey, maybe we’ll be hearing about those soon. We’ll see.
There are endless posts about those scopes failing.