Final decision scope on my 6.5prc?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8-15-23
  • Start date

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’d just say, “reviews” are an opinion based on their approach. I’m still one of those people who haven’t broken even a $19.99 scope decades ago. Again, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with their testing, but I don’t know if I will do anything close to what they are “testing”.

Can you please show a picture of your most used rifle and scope, and how many rounds has shot with it, and do you have any pictures of targets where it was zeroed?

Also, do you check zero every year and/or after traveling a certain distance before you hunt?

Supposedly, there are lots of example of Leupolds failing, but the website search engine doesn’t seem to find them, or maybe I’m not searching correctly.

Google “Leupold scope failure”, or “Leupold lost zero”, or “Leupold problem” it’s nonstop.

This isn’t some fictional made up nonsense. I have shot withs dozens of people that claimed they have never seen a problem with Leupold hunting scopes, and every one that showed up to the range said their rifle was zeroed- yet all of them had to rezero.

Last edited:

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
One of my friends was talking about breaking a scope with a shotgun the other day. That was interesting, but really doesn’t matter since I don’t use scopes on shotguns.

I’d just say, “reviews” are an opinion based on their approach. I’m still one of those people who haven’t broken even a $19.99 scope decades ago. Again, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with their testing, but I don’t know if I will do anything close to what they are “testing”.

Supposedly, there are lots of example of Leupolds failing, but the website search engine doesn’t seem to find them, or maybe I’m not searching correctly.
Obviously, your link showed every evaluation … not just every Leupold failing.

@fngTony I'd like to change my name to master link curator or similar. Preferably something with pizazz but also a serious tone cause I'm a serious guy.

@jimh406 I am happy to help! This is a good step one to read the first four posts https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2x-leupold-mark-5-field-evaluations.278289/

https://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3173099

Where Leupold used to be

Maverick1

WKR
If you have a fixed power leupold from the 70’s I’d mount that. Or buy a fixed swfa.
I have a variable power Leupold Vari-X III from about 2000, does that count? A complete rando stranger offered to buy it from me the other day at the range, which I thought was a bit odd. Went to eBay and those scopes are going for a pretty good amount, maybe more than what I paid for it, which was surprising to me. No dials, nothing fancy. What’s up with that?

amassi

WKR
I have a variable power Leupold Vari-X III from about 2000, does that count? A complete rando stranger offered to buy it from me the other day at the range, which I thought was a bit odd. Went to eBay and those scopes are going for a pretty good amount, maybe more than what I paid for it, which was surprising to me. No dials, nothing fancy. What’s up with that?

Nostalgia and no one makes a gloss scope any longer so if you have a nice blued wood rifle and want a gloss scope you have to buy old stock. The price is artificially high since many of those flippers drive prices up on each others ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Where Leupold used to be

I could use only those scopes for hunting for the rest of my life and not worry a bit.

EdP

WKR
Op, I’m genuinely curious. How do you shoot 500 yards with no dials? What’s your process?

Not the OP here but I don't dial and shoot out to 500 and 600 yds using a BDC reticle with no problem. I don't plan to shoot at game beyond that. If I needed to shoot farther I would probably have to dial.

I've got a couple of Leupolds made in the last decade and several Vortex (Vipers and Diamondback HDs) and have never had a problem with any of them failing to hold zero. I also have a Trijicon Huron that I like a lot. Given all the chatter, the recommendation to look at Trijicon I think is a good one.

Maverick1

WKR
Nostalgia and no one makes a gloss scope any longer so if you have a nice blued wood rifle and want a gloss scope you have to buy old stock. The price is artificially high since many of those flippers drive prices up on each others ads.

Mine is matte black, not glossy.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Were they made in Oregon, or the same place SWFA sources, or unknown/other?

US made. Quite frankly what Leupold could be making. They came about due to the US Army. Details are hard to find but the base version is that when the Army was testing the M24 SWS in the 80’s, the scopes that were available weren’t holding zero during parachuting. In static line jumping, the rifle is lowered in a padded soft case before the jumper hits the ground- they were dropping them and shooting live ammo to check zero before and after jumping… what a novel idea. Leupold said they could fix it and came back with the Ultra M3A, which morphed into the Mark 4 fixed powers. There were some other changes requested, but that’s the gist of it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I will say that I used those scopes for more than a decade, and by used I mean “used” and not one time did I have one lose zero. The only time I had to rezero them were with ammo lot # changes.
Anything made can and will break, and they certainly did, however they are about as solid as a scope can get. Roughly equal to SWFA fixed X and HD’s, probably not quite as durable as NF Milspecs.

Something to note about the Leupold M3A’s- the lenses are bonded inside.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
US made. Quite frankly what Leupold could be making. They came about due to the US Army. Details are hard to find but the base version is that when the Army was testing the M24 SWS in the 80’s, the scopes that were available weren’t holding zero during parachuting. In static line jumping, the rifle is lowered in a padded soft case before the jumper hits the ground- they were dropping them and shooting live ammo to check zero before and after jumping… what a novel idea. Leupold said they could fix it and came back with the Ultra M3A, which morphed into the Mark 4 fixed powers. There were some other changes requested, but that’s the gist of it.
In other words, the end consumer for this scope wasn't buying it unless it passed some prescribed testing that solved a problem.

I don't think hunters will ever get there because our standards are trash.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
In other words, the end consumer for this scope wasn't buying it unless it passed some prescribed testing that solved a problem.

I don't think hunters will ever get there because our standards are trash.

Correct. And unlike today, that problem was proven and shown with live fire “tests” not simulated impacts.

SDHNTR

WKR
Not the OP here but I don't dial and shoot out to 500 and 600 yds using a BDC reticle with no problem. I don't plan to shoot at game beyond that. If I needed to shoot farther I would probably have to dial.

I've got a couple of Leupolds made in the last decade and several Vortex (Vipers and Diamondback HDs) and have never had a problem with any of them failing to hold zero. I also have a Trijicon Huron that I like a lot. Given all the chatter, the recommendation to look at Trijicon I think is a good one.
Want to hear from the OP.

Totally fine using a proper reticle to shoot 500 yards. But the op has stated, iirc, he prefers a duplex. So I’m curious to know how he does it. It can be done, with a VERY detailed understanding of subtensions and ballistics. Something tells me that’s not what’s happening here though.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Not to pile on but I used to be die hard leupold. Hell most the rifles in my safe still wear them but for my new rifle build I’m looking else where. 4 leupolds of different ages and models in 5yrs is more than I can handle going forward and for a backpack rifle im setting up. Not saying they don’t make good scopes some guys are having great luck with I just must be getting the lemons. All but one died after moving from one rifle to the next and would not adjust. The vx6 was DOA

VXiii 3.5-10 (on 7rem mag BAR)
VXiii 2.75-7.5 (I think)(on a 45-70)
Vari x ii 2-7 (on Springfield 1903 30-06)
VX6hd 4-24 (on 300 RUM)

jimh406

WKR
This isn’t some fictional made up nonsense. I have shot withs dozens of people that claimed they have never seen a problem with Leupold hunting scopes, and every one that showed up to the range said their rifle was zeroed- yet all of them had to rezero.

Of course, I didn't say your testing was nonsense. How I use my scope doesn't really matter either.

Fwiw, if you do searches for almost any brand of scope, you can find failures.

jimh406

WKR
But it does!!!!

Thats the point of the testing!

Get rid of the emotion and focus on objectivity. Seriously.

Most people think Nightforce makes some of the best scopes out there.

Most also think Zeiss scopes are good.

Some thing Swarovski scopes are good.

Vortex scope problem.

I could go on and on and on. Are all of these one offs ... I have to think so. I could be wrong. We also could just use iron sights, but maybe those have issues, too.

amassi

WKR

Vortek scope problem.

I could go on and on and on. Are all of these one offs ... I have to think so. I could be wrong.

Welp Jim
If you were paying attention only nighfrorce gets the nod around here. Those other scopes failed testing and have been repeatedly shown to be unreliable.

SDHNTR

WKR

Vortex scope problem.

I could go on and on and on. Are all of these one offs ... I have to think so. I could be wrong. We also could just use iron sights, but maybe those have issues, too.
Comedy.