Final decision scope on my 6.5prc?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8-15-23
  • Start date

cmahoney

WKR
There are endless posts about those scopes failing.

Obviously those posts are all from NF bots and paid schills. I killed a bunch of blacktails under 100 yards when I was a teenager with a VX2 on top of my rifle and I always hit with it 6” of the vitals so that proves Leupold scopes are solid.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider

CorbLand

WKR

mt100gr.

WKR
So after my 10 day waiting period, Friday I decide on a 4x14 vortex viper, or a 4x14 leupold?? Leaning towards leupold after 50 years. Don't care to shoot over 500 yards. So what do I mount friday?
Nightforce SHV 3-10 or SWFA 6x

You're on the wrong track with Vortex and Leupold.

I looked at this review and maybe missed it, but was this scope mounted with the rings lapped? I personally have found that a scope that doesn't hold zero isn't necessarily always the scope. You have to look at the whole mounting system before just saying the scope is "junk". Most if not all of the problems, I have encountered have been remedied with lapping the rings, torque wrenching to proper specs, and locktite. I've found if the rings aren't lapped properly the consistently of pressure on the scope isn't held in a uniform manner by the ring, Because the pressure is isn't uniform across the scope, under recoil it tends to move. I believe this accounts for more point of impact change than anything.

I understand you get what we pay for and I'm not arguing that there is a better scope out there than the Nightforce. In my own testing the repeatability and reliability of every Nightforce scope I've worked with has been substantial. However, I never have had trouble with many Leupolds and Vortex scopes holding zero using the techniques stated above. Some have taken more work than others, but all the ones that I have mounted have held zero year after year even with hard use. Tracking and adjustment on these lower end scopes has been another story. If you plan on dialing, I would encourage everyone to shoot a vertical adjustment test because I've found a lot of discrepancy in adjustments stated by manufacture and what I've measured.
Take a look at the long range forum and “scope evaluation” tests. Pretty eye opening. Same rings different scope at it holds zero

SDHNTR

WKR
Op, I’m genuinely curious. How do you shoot 500 yards with no dials? What’s your process?

Lytro

WKR
I've had a VX5 on my 7RM the past 5 years and it has been reliable without losing zero. It's been used a lot and the setup has taken more than 20 deer/elk on local and out of state hunts after riding hundreds of miles in the truck and on an ATV. I haven't dropped it, but the rifle has tipped over onto rocks on steep hillsides more than I'd like to admit.

Although I haven't had any issues, the recent flood of poor reviews has steered me away from buying another Leupold recently. I'm currently finishing up a new 300 WM build and bought a Trijicon Tenmile for that. It seems to be a much higher quality optic for a fairly small increase in cost.

jimh406

WKR
Although I haven't had any issues, the recent flood of poor reviews has steered me away from buying another Leupold recently. I'm currently finishing up a new 300 WM build and bought a Trijicon Tenmile for that. It seems to be a much higher quality optic for a fairly small increase in cost.

One of my friends was talking about breaking a scope with a shotgun the other day. That was interesting, but really doesn’t matter since I don’t use scopes on shotguns.

I’d just say, “reviews” are an opinion based on their approach. I’m still one of those people who haven’t broken even a $19.99 scope decades ago. Again, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with their testing, but I don’t know if I will do anything close to what they are “testing”.

Supposedly, there are lots of example of Leupolds failing, but the website search engine doesn’t seem to find them, or maybe I’m not searching correctly.