Final decision scope on my 6.5prc?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8-15-23
  • Start date
Most people think Nightforce makes some of the best scopes out there.

Most also think Zeiss scopes are good.

Some thing Swarovski scopes are good.

Vortex scope problem.

I could go on and on and on. Are all of these one offs ... I have to think so. I could be wrong. We also could just use iron sights, but maybe those have issues, too.
I don't think anyone said there is a scope manufacturer that has a zero failure rate. What many here seem to be saying is that they want a scope with minimal failure rates. What would you prefer, a scope that has a 90% failure rate, or a 1% failure rate? Is there a failure rate that is acceptable to you? What failure rate is acceptable to you?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
How I use my scope doesn't really matter either.

It matters greatly. Everything is equal sitting on a shelf. Only in use do differences start showing themselves. The more use, the more differences are apparent. A vehicle with 500 miles on it and not a scratch, doesn’t tell anyone anything about its reliability or durability.

“Working” has a different meaning for everyone. Near everyone that says “x” works great with never a problem, always show rifles and scopes that could be sold at 99% condition…

Fwiw, if you do searches for almost any brand of scope, you can find failures.

It isn’t one offs. Everything has a failure rate. Those scope companies you mentioned don’t generally make good aiming devices except NF. Though the thread you linked to is about NF benchrest scopes…. Which are not the same as their field scopes.

So after my 10 day waiting period, Friday I decide on a 4x14 vortex viper, or a 4x14 leupold?? Leaning towards leupold after 50 years. Don't care to shoot over 500 yards. So what do I mount friday?
Trij, SWFA, NF.
Thx, but 52 years shooting leupolds. Don't want knobs. turning, tell me distance, dead. 300 kills with leupold.
This reminds me of convos like this.

“Should I take A street or B street?”

“Neither. Take C street. C street is about the same distance, has cell service the entire drive, and is a good road. A street is a decent road but zero cell service. B street is a crap road with intermittent service. Since there is lots of snow and ice, and you are driving your new born baby you should take C street.”

“I asked about A and B street. I’ve been driving these roads for blank years. I know what I’m doing.”

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer zero for my use cases. So far, Leupold has worked for me.

Maybe I've been lucky for the past few decades. Maybe my next one will fail.
You've never tested any of your scopes.

I would bet most people in this thread actually used to think just like you. I did for a long time.

But I have learned what I didn't know before.

What I learned is that the vast majority of scopes on the market WILL NOT HOLD ZERO with even light use.

If you truly believe your scopes hold zero, you will have no issue testing a couple and posting the results.

OP
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

I would bet most people in this thread actually used to think just like you. I did for a long time.

What I learned is that the vast majority of scopes on the market WILL NOT HOLD ZERO with even light use.

If you truly believe your scopes hold zero, you will have no issue testing a couple and posting the results.
Thx, but 50 years of leupold holding zero. All good, not a big deal inside 400 yards. Thx for your input.

jimh406

WKR

I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I will say what I've done. I've shot animals several years in a row with no misses with the same rifle and scope. I've hit where I've aimed every time. I'd call that field testing, but of course, a sample size of one.

Maybe I'm just shooting too close, so it doesn't matter. My longest shot was 350 yds. Most are 250 yds and closer. I have a lot of time to hunt, so I generally wait until I can get closer. I have no reason to dial with my 300 Wby. Fwiw, it's 9 1/2 lbs with 3.5-10 Leupold scope.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I will say what I've done. I've shot animals several years in a row with no misses with the same rifle and scope. I've hit where I've aimed every time. I'd call that field testing, but of course, a sample size of one.

Maybe I'm just shooting too close, so it doesn't matter. My longest shot was 350 yds. Most are 250 yds and closer. I have a lot of time to hunt, so I generally wait until I can get closer. I have no reason to dial with my 300 Wby. Fwiw, it's 9 1/2 lbs with 3.5-10 Leupold scope.
Let’s all get together and shoot!

We can put your setup through the paces and see what sets it apart from the others.

You’re close, being in Western, MT. I’m confident we can come up with a place and a time to get together.

jimh406

WKR
We can put your setup through the paces and see what sets it apart from the others.

I think the more interesting and less painful case is putting my new combination through it’s paces. Savage Ultralite, 300 WSM, Leupold 5 HD, Banish 30 that are all supposedly pretty bad based on some opinions here. Note: scope is mounted but hasn’t been shot yet.

We’ll see. In the mean time, I’ll try to shoot the Wby a few times to see how the zero is holding this year compared to previous years. I can’t actually remember how many years it hasn’t moved.

OP
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Testing scopes? Yes, 50 years, killing over 200 animals, my leupold has never failed me. So I guess that's testing my scope.??

SouthPaw

WKR
I think the more interesting and less painful case is putting my new combination through it’s paces. Savage Ultralite, 300 WSM, Leupold 5 HD, Banish 30 that are all supposedly pretty bad based on some opinions here. Note: scope is mounted but hasn’t been shot yet.

We’ll see. In the mean time, I’ll try to shoot the Wby a few times to see how the zero is holding this year compared to previous years. I can’t actually remember how many years it hasn’t moved.
Save the target, and shoot a group at a different dot each range trip at the same distance. The data will all be right there in the same place.