Figuring out how to enjoy life

SDHNTR

WKR
Better yet, find a job where no one cares how much time off you take as long as the job gets done.

7mm-08

WKR
Everything in life is a balance. My problem is that I was unable to recognize those consistent 65-hour weeks for 32 years was NOT. Then, one day I come to (age helps with this) and realized that I neglected to properly manage the most important aspect of my life - time. Time with your loved ones, time outdoors, time helping others, etc. Everyone eventually gets to that spot in life that time is more valuable than money, but you have to have banked sufficient funds to then feel that you have the resources to go out and enjoy life. Good luck finding your balance.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Ya know me and a couple buddies are in the same boat on this. Money is not an issue we’re of the age we could quit working but then what? A guy can’t drink beer ALL day well not all day everyday lol. I wake up 7 days a week and my first thought is what do I need to get done today that’s all I ever really been good at is working. It is a disease some have it some don’t. Maybe the downside of being self employed

In my mind retirement is doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. Retirement just took out the egos and stupidity out of the equation. I enjoy working on my terms and schedule.

I am from a solid railroad family. My father was the first generation to break the 7 day a week schedule . Most railroaders died within 6 months of retirement. I think it is because of lack of bio-rythums. At ten years after retirement, I still work most days but at my pace and desire.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
This has been a great thread for me to read, a 26yo. I have had a few late nights wondering what im looking for and if I'm keeping up with the jonses. I am very frugal and get made fun of for it, but having big boy job for 5 years now and being frugal has paid off. Over the last 3 years, I have acquired lots of higher end gear as I have nailed down what I wear and how I hunt/fish, and I don't skimp out on things I love / need to be comfortable in the outdoors and alleviate down time from broken equipment.

I try not to settle for cheap low quality, I have got burned to much. I want to buy a house, but being within 15 miles of NYC, it's hard to find a place that has a few acres and affordable. I can find the land, but with falling down house, or it's just plain out of budget. Im only looking for 2 acres, just something to have some space, shoot my bow and have a nice garden and garage I know anything bigger is unrealistic.

I moved out at 22 to a more remote Maine, and it was great except it offered less hunting and fishing opportunity and decided to move back after 2 years. Hardest part as an east coast guy is getting other to go out west and put their money where there mouth is. Everyone I know wants to, but Im the only one building points (looks grim), planning trips, researching areas and harvest data and making time to go, even when I have the least schedule flexibility and vacation time.

I work a Monday-Friday desk job, most of my friends do not, seeing them hunting on a Tuesday, or going out at midnight for stripers on a Sunday because the tide is right, and they all own homes/new trucks/quads/boats makes me jealous. No other way to put it. And it's not that Im upset at them, im upset at myself, thinking im behind, I'd never buy a new truck. I know what they make, and I dont know how they afford it.

But, I bought the truck I wanted, a 17 year old pre emissions diesel, I bought a 24 year old aluminum boat that I can use for duck hunting and fishing, then upgraded the fish finder, spot lock trolling motor, Van staal reels, waders, lamiglas rod, new mathews bow, etc... and they ask me how I can afford all of these accessories on a whim.

Can't get much better for me, and I know that, but the grass is always greener is a failing mindset that's hard to shake. Im trying to work and save now and goal is by 40 to look into partially retiring early. I don't need/want much, just time to do what I love while I still can physically. Get away from the desk and work a job to get health benefits with low stress. I'll stock shelves if it gives me flexibility.

I’m 60. Do what you want to do when you are young and healthy but that doesn't mean being financially irresponsible , balance is key. If you do things when you are young you have memories all your life of it. If you wait you are rolling the dice you will be healthy in your older years. Maybe drive a truck that is nice but not over the top. Maybe live in a nice home but not a mcmansion. Shoot a nice rifle but maybe not that custom $5000 set up.
I watched my Dad work his whole life not doing things because he thought he would do when he retired. A big house and property was important to him. His health failed him at no fault of his own and he spent the last 10 years of his life unable to work or enjoy life. I have always done things I could afford to do and got into a business that afforded me the time and money to do it. I have not done or bought everything everything I wanted but much of it I have.
I feel myself slowing down some and my buddies are as well. So we have modified what we do to meet our abilities. Still having a blast.

fmyth

WKR
Many years ago my mentor gave me the following advice: "Don't be afraid to spend money on experiences that create good memories with your family and friends. One day those memories will be the most valuable thing you possess." At the time I was 30 and it didn't resonate with me. Now at 55 I find myself giving that same advice to my younger friends.

rmelville

FNG
We aren't here to pay bills and die. I always try to experience new things but just treating yourself to an adventure every now and then makes life a lot easier. Getting caught up in day to day life and work feels like I'm wasting away. Live life on your own terms and make those memories with your family and friends.

Great post, Thanks for sharing.

Stalker69

WKR
Devils Advocate checking in here…. There are presently thousands of Boomers retiring each day with insufficient savings and leaning on inadequate Social Security. This is a massive problem and a burgeoning systemic economic burden, only getting worse. Most people don’t save enough.

Get a comprehensive financial plan done. Know exactly how much you need to save annually to enjoy retirement the way you want. Once you have met your savings goals each year, then you can spend any excess. But not until then! Save first! Then play.

There are far more Americans wishing they had saved more during their earning years than there are those who wish they had spent more!

Sounds as though your saying exactly the opposite of what the OP was. And what many are " complaning" about. More work, less play. When it's suggested here to play more work less.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
@Stalker69 I don't think @SDHNTR was saying the exact opposite. I think we all desire more time to do the things we love but its not an excuse to be a fool with money.

Could I go on 2-3 hunts a year? Yes. Do I? No.
Could I hunt sheep? Yes. Do I? No.
Could I go out to dinner 3-5 times a week? Yes. Do I? No.
Could I buy a new truck every couple years? Yes. Do I? No.
Could I go buy a $25,000 sidebyside? Yes. Do I? No.
Could I go buy a new gun every couple weeks? Yes. Do I? No.

Like some of you, I'm a saver. I keep my belongings clean and well maintained and I do my best to fix things instead of just tossing them in the trash.

Retiring early is my goal. When I turn 55, I am not answering to any man from that point forward... I'll have time to hunt all I want then. Will I still be alive? I am gambling that I will be, and I will be enjoying the last 30 years of my life while all of the "live in the moment people" are still reporting to their shitty job until they are 65-70...

I still go on hunts and enjoy life, but I don't blow my money on unnecessary possessions.

From 55-70 I will be able to go on two-three hunts/year and not stress about when I need to be home and how much PTO I am using.

My plan only works if I live that long though. lol

16 more years until freedom.....

Everyone has different goals. You do you and I will do me. Just don't let me hear your crying when you find out that you live into a ripe old age and your so broke you can't take a crummy bus tour with your wife.

Last edited:

Coldtrail

WKR
I'm 52, worked over 30yrs of weekends, holidays, call outs and overtime & though the money was nice, I am embarrassed to see how much those extra hours affected my family, friends, and fun time. I recently decided to retire, I'm not rich but getting by fine and have time to do what I want and in good health. I'd never ask for, or expect life to give me more than that, money really wouldn't change my daily routine at this point because I do what I love to do daily & learned years ago that a guy really doesn't need to spend huge $$ to enjoy hunting, fishing, friends, family.

Working those extra hours is like a dog chasing cars, it looks appealing at the time and you might get away with it, but chase enough and you might get hit and lose a leg, chase too much and you get run over. The human body can send some pretty interesting messages to get your attention that you need to dial it back, the goal is to find the sweet spot to make enough money but not kill yourself trying.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
This thread really hits home for me. I've spent the last 17 years building a business from the ground up. Me and my wife were dirt poor for a good portion of that but the ridiculous hours and stress have really paid off for the last few years. Now I've got 2 kids and I don't get to see them nearly enough and when we are together I'm stressing over the business. I've finally decided to sell my biz and spend more time with my kids. I've also realized that there is nothing in this world I can take to heaven with me except people. All my gear and boats and house will one day be dust and ash. Spending time with my family and spreading the gospel are now my primary goals in life.

Billinsd

WKR
My beautiful wife taught me a good life lesson. If you wait until you have the time and money to go and do what you want to do in life. You probably won't get there.
Seems to me anyhows that when I'm working extra n have extra bucks, no time. Or time n need the bucks to live on. It's kinda endless.
Hey make the time. And the memories. Only got one chance man.
Plan what you want to do and how to live your life and be ready to adjust your course. I just told my 19 year old grinding away at her civil engineering degree, life is full of choices and compromises. It's important to CHOSE what to do, how to live your life. We tend to forget we have the choice to push hard or slack off or a combination. Of course our choices have consequences, so choose VERY CAREFULLY on the important stuff. While alive, LIVE, be PASSIONATE about whatever the hell you are doing most of the time! That's what I do whether enjoying myself or working with my nose to the grind stone. I'm 60 and ready to retire and play, play, play, thoroughly enjoy myself. However, I've been living and enjoying the ride to get here!! I've done a whole lot and lived a great life so far, full to the HILT!! with some bumps, and train wrecks I walked away from. CHEERS! BILL

Last edited:
It depends on where you work and what field/business.

My wife is a VP of corporate finance. She worked her way up rapidly and although it took some sacrifices it wasn’t too terrible. She has amazing flexibility in her schedule now.

I work in healthcare. I’m stuck in the middle of nursing administration. I work absurd hours and don’t make much more than what I did as a bedside nurse. I have no flexibility in my schedule.

I have two choices. Take my lumps for a 3-5yrs in the spot that I’m in and then probably move up to a higher level position such as director or even VP. Or say f@ck it and go back to working my 3 12s as a bedside nurse.

I was much happier doing my 3 12s.
3 12's would be nice. Not sure where you are at, but around here all I hear of are nurses getting mandated for extra shifts. I decided to go back for a career change into nursing. I'm hoping to find somewhere to fit that I can also do the things I want to. There are defiantly days I wish I had not left working on a State Forest.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Probably time for some self reflection here. 29 years old, union carpenter. 60 hour weeks are the norm. Still make time to hunt and be with family but could probably do a better job there. It ain't easy when you like to work and like the work you do though.

3 12's would be nice. Not sure where you are at, but around here all I hear of are nurses getting mandated for extra shifts. I decided to go back for a career change into nursing. I'm hoping to find somewhere to fit that I can also do the things I want to. There are defiantly days I wish I had not left working on a State Forest.
When I was at the bedside we got mandated OT usually during peak flu season and of course during the height of the pandemic.

But you get paid time and half for that. Plus hospitals throw out bonus pay and crisis pay all the time for extra shifts. Wasn’t uncommon for me to get OT pay and $500 bonus for working an extra shift.

I’m salary now. I work Monday-Friday and on call every other weekend. I go in to work at 0730 every day and I’m lucky to leave before 1900. And many time when I get home I’m still working. Taking phone calls, answering emails or doing chart audits. When I was a bedside nurse, when I punched out my day was over.

Coldtrail

WKR
Probably time for some self reflection here. 29 years old, union carpenter. 60 hour weeks are the norm. Still make time to hunt and be with family but could probably do a better job there. It ain't easy when you like to work and like the work you do though.
I was this guy once, just remember that no matter how much you love the job.....the job will never love you back