Favorite weightlifting programs

Teaman1

WKR
Just looking for some programs that you thought worked well for you.

6 to 12 week programs, bulking, powerlifting, or general strength training; what would you suggest?

Marshfly

WKR
I got back into weight lifting last summer. I jumped on the Allpro routine that is catalogued on the Bodybuilding.com forums. I found it a great way to build strength fast for someone that hasn't been in the gym in a while. I'm 5 rounds in at this point and plateauing so need to swap it up. But I really like how it's full body 3x a week. I think doing the entire body each time is a way more functional way to train for hunting than isolation days.

My 14yo son jumped in the summer and just got through his first 5 week round and I can definitely see a difference in his strength and muscle tone.

If you have been lifting for a while ignore this post but others may benefit from it.

Loo.wii

WKR
If you just want to get strong. All you need to do is lift 3 days a week.
Compound lifts: Dead lift, Squat, Bench at 80% of max weight for 5x5. There are plenty of lift calculators online that you you can use to calculate your 80% based on your 1 rep max. I would always start my work out with the above compound lifts and then move on to more accessory work for 4x12-16. Dumbbell flys, lat pull down, cable stuff, etc. I would then go back to the compound lift of the day and do 3 sets of super light weight till failure. If you have a bit of juice left i recommend grabbing a spotter and trying to put up 85-90% of your 1RM for 3xFailure.

As always Nutrition is the most important/annoying part of any workout plan. Eating chicken and rice gets old quick. especially maintaining a caloric surplus and trying to hit 1g of protein for every pound you weigh.

I did the aforementioned workout regiment when i was deployed i so just doubled my normal intake of food and got really strong really quick. By the end of my deployment i got up to 225 and was well into 1200lb total weight for all three lifts. BUTTTTTT i was busting out of my uniform. YMMV.

I recommend incorporating cardio. now my split is 3 days of running 2 days of lifting with a minimum 5k run every time.

Im not nearly as strong but good cardio makes it easier to hump a ruck.

as someone mentioned above. bod//ybuil/di/ng./com// is your friend

Start with Starting Strength if you haven't done a program in a few years then transition into 5/3/1. There's enough info out there to learn them for free and they are both very simple to follow. The most important part of any program is that it's something you actually do. A lot of people come out of the gate and get into these complex programs then burn out because of it

SloppyJ

WKR
5/3/1 never appealed to me unless I worked out with someone. Even then, I'm not a fan of doing it for a long period of time. When I was younger I was all about how much weight I could get up. At one point I was benching 405, squatting over 500 and over 600 on deads. I got talked into doing a show and getting my diet dialed in was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Diet is what separates the boys from the men.

What I learned is that what works for you won't work for most. You have to listen to your body and figure out what works for you. Not what some magazine or internet article says will work. I struggled for years doing low carb and other cookie cutter BS. Ultimately, timing my carbs and other specific nutrients was the golden ticket that unlocked the secret code. The Nutrient Timing System is one of the books I read that made it click for me. Complex carbs before a workout and a mixture of protein, creatine, and BCAAs mixed with sugar to exploit the insulin response during a workout is what works for me.

These days I maintain. I've found that higher volume is easier on my body while still maintaining and even growing mass. How many days per week are you working out and for how long? What are your goals? Happy to help if you'd like.

Seeknelk

WKR
+ on starting strength. Follow the program. Get the basic app they have. It's an incredible motivator to see the measurable increases.
Getting coaching from an SS coach would be money extremely well spent.
After running it as far as you can, switch to 5-3-1 or Texas method or something like that...you'll know more at that point.
The SS programming book is good to have also.

LostArra

WKR
What is the OP's age?

After doing a Linear Progression (Starting Strength) your age might determine where you go in the Intermediate Phase. Your ability to recover is most important which is why something like the Texas Method can totally crush the wrong trainee. Stress>Recovery>Adaptation(get stronger). You don't get stronger by lifting weights. You get stronger by recovering from lifting weights.

I'm old and use an HLM method with an emphasis on Minimum Effective Dose of training. Everything is barbell compound lifts except some dumbbell rowing. Zero vanity lifts, minimal accessory lifts, no spreadsheets, no AMRAP.

Remember that the most important training variable is consistency, not which program you use or which accessory exercises or which supplements you take. It's showing up 3-4 times a week. Not for 6 weeks but like zap says, a lifetime.

+ on starting strength. Follow the program. Get the basic app they have. It's an incredible motivator to see the measurable increases.
Getting coaching from an SS coach would be money extremely well spent.
After running it as far as you can, switch to 5-3-1 or Texas method or something like that...you'll know more at that point.
The SS programming book is good to have also.
I'm not a fan of SS low bar-head down squatting technique at all. My daughters are both nationally ranked Olympic weightlifters and very few elite lifters squat like this. I think this is more accepted with power lifters. I lifted with my girls in the past and competed a couple times in the Master's class (I'm 49) and played high school sports and college football. I never lifted with good form until I started with an excellent Olympic weightlifting coach. We execute high bar-head straight/up technique and ALWAYS squat below parallel.

I like Loo.wii's advice, and would add some cleans and snatches into this routine. For older less flexible folks, stick to power cleans and power snatch until you loosen up and master the technique. It will take some time, but once you have these lifts down, there's little need for additional cardio if you get after it.

In between lifting days do some walking, rucking, etc..., to work out soreness and stay loose.

Everything is barbell compound lifts except some dumbbell rowing. Zero vanity lifts, minimal accessory lifts, no spreadsheets, no AMRAP.

Remember that the most important training variable is consistency, not which program you use or which accessory exercises or which supplements you take. It's showing up 3-4 times a week. Not for 6 weeks but like zap says, a lifetime.
^^^this right here.

Back squats
Front squats
Military press
Push press
Clean grip deadlift
Snatch grip deadlift
Clean/power clean
Snatch/power snatch

Maybe some light bench, upright rows, and pull ups are great if you can do with good technique.

jahaze

FNG
USAPL has a decent app that gives you several options and is easy to customize. It cost @ $32/month. I'm 54 and a competitive powerlifter, it's all I use know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I'm not a fan of SS low bar-head down squatting technique at all. My daughters are both nationally ranked Olympic weightlifters and very few elite lifters squat like this. I think this is more accepted with power lifters. I lifted with my girls in the past and competed a couple times in the Master's class (I'm 49) and played high school sports and college football. I never lifted with good form until I started with an excellent Olympic weightlifting coach. We execute high bar-head straight/up technique and ALWAYS squat below parallel.

I like Loo.wii's advice, and would add some cleans and snatches into this routine. For older less flexible folks, stick to power cleans and power snatch until you loosen up and master the technique. It will take some time, but once you have these lifts down, there's little need for additional cardio if you get after it.

In between lifting days do some walking, rucking, etc..., to work out soreness and stay loose.

Very few olympic weightlifters squat low bar, but there are very many elite strength athletes, elite powerlifters and extremely strong general population trainees who squat that way. I'd also say, what elite athletes do has little bearing on what benefits the general population. Olympic lifting is a fairly specific sport and the squatting style is geared towards supporting the 2 competitive lifts. That, however, has little to no bearing on the translation of the low bar squat for the general strength trainee.

I have a bit of a background competing in the olympic lifts myself and I'd say, unless a general trainee, particularly one over 35 just has a real desire to perform the snatch and clean, there's very little benefit to them when compared to the squat, bench press, press and deadlift. They are complex lifts that require a lot of practice and a lot of training time. A person looking to spend 3 hours a week in the gym has no room in their schedule for those movement.

I'm a big fan of push/pull/legs and just doing whatever exercises you enjoy, without neglecting any muscles, can do without hurting yourself/proper form, and you can have good muscle/mind connection. In doing that though, I believe in progressive overload (increasing resistance as sets go on and decreasing reps), solid intensity of workout, and training consistency. I would say don't cheat yourself first 2-3 months, training needs to be a habit that you don't think about, to the point where rest days are weird.

Also, tracking your workouts is a great habit too. It helps me stay motivated by trying to beat previous workout numbers. Always looking forward to the opportunity to outdo myself.

Others have mentioned, your eating habits, yes this will speed up your progress or be the reason why you make progress. Eat 1 - 1.5 g. of protein per lb. of body weight, weigh yourself everyday (good for motivation/progress). For right now, just eat healthy and you'll see results. Tracking meals and getting super strict with macronutrient intake and calories is good, but the desire to do so will come about naturally when you aren't content with your results.