Favorite Solid Color for Hunting

My two favorites are the KUIU Ash and KUIU Major Brown solids.. They blend/go good with their camo patterns too..

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Most areas I hunt are private blocks so I'm a big fan of greens.

When I hunt public land I throw on some blaze orange

Very simple topic, but I thought it would be fun. For those of you like me who hunt often in solid colors do you have a favorite solid color you think works better than others? What are your favorite solid colors you gravitate to for hunting? What is your reasoning? Is it the terrain where you hunt, what looks good to your eye, what you think your prey will be least likely to see, etc?

For me:

#1. Coyote Tan/Brown. It works great in so many different environments from deserts to fields to forests and mountains and looks bad ass.
coyote_tan-3.gif

#2. A medium grey / slate grey. Blends in well in a lot of environments, especially ones with rocks or trees. Not too light not too dark. Makes me feel like a ghost.
SG.tif.rendition.SG_1248.jpg

#3. Olive Drab. Depending on who you ask there's a lot of different shades of what people consider Olive Drab. I included images to illustrate what I'm talking about .Mostly I just like the look of it, but honestly I think it blends in really well with any green environments, especially evergreen thickets. Neutral enough that I don't really think you'd get a second look from a deer even if there isn't a lot of green in the terrain.
US_Army_Olive_Drab_MMP-026_grande.jpg

Honestly, between these 3 colors its hard to go wrong.
I've always kinda liked the tan or grey pants then the green top I feel like mixing the colors a little helps to break you up a bit and isn't as obvious as one solid color. I still love my camo colors but usually reserve them for archery or turkey hunting and wear the solids the rest of the time.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't it fascinating how there are thousands of different shades or browns, greys, and greens?

UncleBone

WKR
In this book I have, it says Indians would cover themselves in a red blanket to get antelope within arrows range! It also says they would do sommersaults and what not. I actually watched a decent buck run a few hundred yards closer to my buddy one day when I was pronghorn hunting. He had already tagged out and was wearing a red shirt and came out to bring me some food one afternoon. It got from about 300 yards to 100 and stood and watched him walk along for about 2 minutes before it took off.

Attachments

• 20230222_081715.jpg
    20230222_081715.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230222_081634.jpg
    20230222_081634.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
In this book I have, it says Indians would cover themselves in a red blanket to get antelope within arrows range! It also says they would do sommersaults and what not. I actually watched a decent buck run a few hundred yards closer to my buddy one day when I was pronghorn hunting. He had already tagged out and was wearing a red shirt and came out to bring me some food one afternoon. It got from about 300 yards to 100 and stood and watched him walk along for about 2 minutes before it took off.
Isn't the crazy they knew back then the animals didnt see red like us?

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
And you dont have hunting seasons, cpw, millions of people in huge cities all over America. Mustve been nice!
I'm in the middle on it. There's a lot about that I'd like but I also like modern medicine, indoor plumbing, and contact lenses.

UncleBone

WKR
I'm in the middle on it. There's a lot about that I'd like but I also like modern medicine, indoor plumbing, and contact lenses.
Shoot, they had indoor plumbing in ancient egypt and rome. And modern medicine... we only need that because of modern diseases. But some of the technology is nice for sure. Woulda been hard to have to shoot a grizzly or buffalo 15 or 20 times to put it down. Just give me a nice modern rifle, lightweight shelter, and some good solid boots and send me back baby.

UncleBone

WKR
Shoot, they had indoor plumbing in ancient egypt and rome. And modern medicine... we only need that because of modern diseases. But some of the technology is nice for sure. Woulda been hard to have to shoot a grizzly or buffalo 15 or 20 times to put it down. Just give me a nice modern rifle, lightweight shelter, and some good solid boots and send me back baby.
And to keep it on topic, some bright red shirts.