Favorite mtn rifle scope under 2k

jtrav543

FNG
Hey all,
Got a Weatherby Backcountry Ti headed my way soon and want to put a nice lightweight (Illuminated) scope on it. The budget is up to $2k. What would you recommend? (thinking something in the x42 or x44 for weight purposes).

Will be getting a cds, bt type system so the vertical hashmarks are not hyper critical, but I do like a windplex type reticle.

Leupold 3-18 vx-6 tmoa reticle.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Swaro Z6i is probably my all time favorite mountain scope. Light, great out to 7-800 yards, and amazing low light.
I used to agree, and still want to. The package is amazing on paper. Light and phenomenal glass. Good FOV and forgiving eyebox. Great reticle in the 4W. All around, it has nearly perfect specs for what I want in a hunting scope. But the plastic internals and paper thin tube are deal killers for me. I found out the hard way. If they could only figure out a way to keep that scope as light and make it more durable! They’d have a category killer. Titanium maybe? Under $4-5k I’d actually buy one.

Macintosh

WKR
Spent 2 years looking for a nxs 2.5-10 with a mil dot reticle, which they stopped making right about when I started shopping. Finally gave up and bought a S&B Klassik 3-12. It’s a really nice scope that checks the “awesome glass” box as well as the “durable” box, and fits into your budget. Only reason I can see they aren't more popular is you are limited to a bit over 3 mils elevation travel, which is “only” 450-600 yards depending on cartridge.

Blue72

WKR
I like my mountain rifles light!

a 1 ounce red dot is sufficient for me, especially since most hunts are under 100 yards in the mountains of the east coast

Canny

FNG
There's better and fancier out there, but I do love the VX5HD. Just a great value scope, and the CDS system is simple/fast.

This^. A close second for me is the VX3 4.5-14x40, which gets real light and with 40mm can keep it low to the bore to make a really streamlined rifle rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCMCUBIC

WKR
My favorite, S&B PMII 6x42. I like simple things.

Others I use, have found reliable, and are ~22 oz or less:
SWFA 3-9 - milquad
Klassik 3-12 - mildot w/illum, add the BDC
NXS 2.5-10 - I prefer Velocity 600, mainly for visibility in mixed cover use - SFP
SWFA 6x - milquad
SHV 3-10 - Forceplex w/illum - doing some hunting with a MOAR version this season, like it in the open, prefer the Forceplex otherwise - SFP

Pro's/con's on all. Consider your preferences and make your choice.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta throw out the Maven RS2. It is bomb proof and weighs in at 11 ounces. 2-10 power. I love how fine the crosshairs are. Gives you plenty of reach for any ethical shooting distance. I run swarovski for the most part, but my CA Mesa topped with the rs2 is by far my favorite rifle for high country deer hunts.

BjornF16

WKR
Gotta throw out the Maven RS2. It is bomb proof and weighs in at 11 ounces. 2-10 power. I love how fine the crosshairs are. Gives you plenty of reach for any ethical shooting distance. I run swarovski for the most part, but my CA Mesa topped with the rs2 is by far my favorite rifle for high country deer hunts.
I’m not sure “bomb proof” and Maven RSx are synonymous

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy used. If I have $2k to spend on a scope,

If I HAVE to buy new at $2k, Nightforce NX8, Razor HD II, Leupold MK5, Burris XTR III, Maven RS.4, or Tract Toric in that order of preference.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Spent 2 years looking for a nxs 2.5-10 with a mil dot reticle, which they stopped making right about when I started shopping. Finally gave up and bought a S&B Klassik 3-12. It’s a really nice scope that checks the “awesome glass” box as well as the “durable” box, and fits into your budget. Only reason I can see they aren't more popular is you are limited to a bit over 3 mils elevation travel, which is “only” 450-600 yards depending on cartridge.
I was looking at mine yesterday and thinking they could get at least 4 mils if not more on that BDC turret....

I'll take a S&B PMII 10x42 for an open country bombproof scope most likely above all others, for my uses.