Favorite mid layer hoodie

I find the ambient hoody as warm as the celcius midi and fit is similar comfort-wise but less bulky. The jacket is a great piece as well but without the hood, heavier weight but still less bulk than the midi jacket.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Under 30 degrees, I like the Patagonia Nano Air. But the Arcteryx Proton FL is really proving to be next-level.

Above 30 degrees, I like the Sitka heavyweight or the 97 Peloton. I do add a windproof vest often in these scenarios.

I think the fit on the Sitka Heavyweight is about perfect. I think the weight of the 97 Peloton is awesome.

For merino (which on multi-day trips are a must for me), I’m using the Sitka apex.

The Sitka Traverse Cold Weather Hoody is a great option for sitting still in most weather (way too warm to walk in). My truck hunting setup is that with either the WS hoody or the Jetstream.
Question on the Arcteryx Proton LT. I wanted to try this one out as it looks like it could honestly be the best mid layer out there based on reviews I’ve seen. Nobody has reviewed it for fabric noise that I’ve seen. How noisy is it with nothing over it?

I like the FL Klamath for temps below 40°. I run it under a Sitka Jetstream. If it’s colder than 30° or so I usually throw on an Arcteryx Atom LT under the Jetstream.

If it’s 40° or more then I just wear the Jetstream with a merino base layer like a FL Wick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vorfield

FNG
Question on the Arcteryx Proton LT. I wanted to try this one out as it looks like it could honestly be the best mid layer out there based on reviews I’ve seen. Nobody has reviewed it for fabric noise that I’ve seen. How noisy is it with nothing over it?

Proton LT will have some nylon noise when the face fabric rubs against itself (e.g. arms). Otherwise it's not that noisy. It has a tighter chest fit wise so it's hard for me to layer underneath it

It’s not too bad. As @vorfield mentioned, it has a nylon face fabric, but the nylon has a softer feel than other higher denier face fabrics. In fact, it mirrors the uncompahgre 2.0 if you’re familiar with that piece from FL.

You might check out the Proton LT from Arc’teryx as well. Similar to the Atom, but supposedly more breathable when active, higher insulation (100g vs 80g), and a fave fabric that is “60x more” rip-resistant than similar face fabrics.

It’s expensive, but comparable to the Ambient ($300 vs $279 MSRP).

prm

WKR
I’m still using the 240 Peloton. I wear it over either a silkweight base layer or merino blend such as Aerowool. Very wind resistant which keeps me comfortable across a wider range of conditions. When temps drop I add either an Arc’teryx Atom light puffy or a Kifaru LPP. Add in a light rain top on occasion, and that layering system covers everything from early archery through late season cold.
I like 240 so much I now own four 2 camo and 2 solid (wearing black right now) and a vest.

Badger327

FNG
Yes- the pro is not warm but breathes really well. I have one in green and I wear it a ton at work. The Peloton is slightly warmer but not crazy warm. Think like a hoody for running or something lIke that
I'd second that. Not warm, but like a high tech long sleeve t-shirt. Good for warm weather hunts and good odor resistance.

JRS3

FNG
I have various Kuiu, Sitka, and First Lite and like them all for various reasons.

My newest and current favorite is the Eberlestock Pioneer Half Zip. The webbing makes it very cushy and comfortable. I have worn it over a 145 Merino base layer and was impressed. I will get another color.

I love my Sitka Fanatic Hoodie and the SG Helio Hoodie. They’re both basically the same. I‘m a tall and usually do an XLT in Sitka but the SG in XL fits the same. I’m usually good to just wear a vest over it.

Attachments

• 88430766-3AAF-4B4D-BAC3-5C10C3393310.jpeg
    88430766-3AAF-4B4D-BAC3-5C10C3393310.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 6B7BF5F2-F411-4995-98A3-C9551D713425.jpeg
    6B7BF5F2-F411-4995-98A3-C9551D713425.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 45

ManBun

FNG
I use the FL Kiln Merino Hoody for my mid-layer. With a light merino T underneath i use the setup for temp ranges of 50-0 degrees, the only difference is the type jacket I’ll use.

I have various Kuiu, Sitka, and First Lite and like them all for various reasons.

My newest and current favorite is the Eberlestock Pioneer Half Zip. The webbing makes it very cushy and comfortable. I have worn it over a 145 Merino base layer and was impressed. I will get another color.

I'm starting to really like the looks of many of the eberlestock products I've seen. How is the long term durability so far?

I love my Sitka Fanatic Hoodie and the SG Helio Hoodie. They’re both basically the same. I‘m a tall and usually do an XLT in Sitka but the SG in XL fits the same. I’m usually good to just wear a vest over it.
That's an awesome couple pictures of you and your son. Man that really warms my heart to see good dudes getting their kids outdoors and into hunting.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies like their duck camp gear... never had my hands on it yet to try it. How does the sizing run?
For me it's been right on the mark for the most part. My experience has been that different pieces are slightly different in sizing.

I'm 6'1 230ish. I typically wear an XL in most clothes. Their Barnburner and Head Guide (Now Contact) hoodies fit perfect. The XL drydown vest fits perfect. The XL Bamboo hoodie I got fits comfortably, but is just a hair on the small side (mostly in length, I have an abnormally long torso). The Camp Shirt, which is basically just a flannel, in XL again fits me comfortably, but is just a hair baggier than ideal, but not bad enough I would size down. In general I would say their clothes are cut to look flattering and semi-athletic without actually being a slim fit.

There are items from them I would highly recommend such as the Barnburner, Head Guide Hoodie, Giddy Up jogger and Bamboo hoodies. But try to get them on sale. I haven't paid full price for anything there and they give a good military discount.

I've been disappointed with the fleece bibs I got from there though. For the price you can do a lot better IMO. I've heard bad things about most of their pants as well, but I haven't tried any myself.

Their customer service is excellent.