Favorite deer catridge/rifle.

The last few bucks I’ve killed have been with a 6.5x55 model 70 custom shooting a 120gmx. Before that I was primarily a .257wby or .264WM guy.

It's hard to imagine anything better than the 270 win. But a 7/08 would be darn near as good, and it fits in a short action.

Most years I grab my 6mm Remington Ruger No. 1 for deer or antelope, but the 7mm Mag is getting the nod for everything this year. It's my dad's 1965 Remington 700 that I've updated with a synthetic stock, new trigger, and decent glass. Every time I think I need a new rifle, I look at those two and realize they handle everything I hunt.

Hell it's which ever rifle I grab on my way out the door. Mostly these four calibers 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 get the nod during deer season.

Hell it's which ever rifle I grab on my way out the door. Mostly these four calibers 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 get the nod during deer season.
Shad71 I like all the cartridges you mentioned. Especially 257 and 7mm08. I have used .358 Norma for bigger game but not deer. In fact I still have a lot of brass left over.

257 roberts ackley, 1909 mauser conversion, 100gr Barnes TSX, 4-12 leupold scope, boyds laminate stock. Also use 280 ackley, stiller, mcmillen swirley, 4-16 nikon, 140 nosler accubonds. Sight both 3" high at 100yds and hold right on to 300+ yds. Hunt oklahoma whitetails from stand and new mexico mulies spot and stalk. Freezer full!

Most years I grab my 6mm Remington Ruger No. 1 for deer or antelope, but the 7mm Mag is getting the nod for everything this year. It's my dad's 1965 Remington 700 that I've updated with a synthetic stock, new trigger, and decent glass. Every time I think I need a new rifle, I look at those two and realize they handle everything I hunt.
I have a Remington 700 ADL in 6mm Remington and it’s one of my favorite rifles. Just a shame it’s so hard to find ammo for (I’m not currently set up to reload).

In my youth 300 win mag, started with a rem BDL, moved to a tikka superlite.......I used a Christensen arms ridgeline in 7-08 for a few years and this year used a weatherby 300wsm. I had a 6.5prc built on a defiance action with proof barrel and mcm stock that I will see what it can do over the summer on coyotes and then probably use it on deer next year.....wish I would have built a 300wsm on that action instead but hindsight.

I hunt a lot of public ground. Muzzleloading season gives me a bit of a break from the orange army. So though I have nice centerfires, lately its been a 58 caliber hawken for my hunting.

Back