Favorite/best headlamp?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just received a nitecore and got one of their power banks (fancy word for a battery). So far I really like it. Bright, rechargeable and easy to use. I’m messing around more with my zebra too and it’s ok.

Neuro

FNG
Was planning on a nitecore nu25 to replace my bargain bin headlamp, but this thread convinced me to get a d25lr.
Will be a bit heavier, but i figure thats offset with more durability on the housing.

Seeknelk

WKR
Zebralight with 18650 for me too. Use it daily several months a year doing chores and throughout hunting season. Excellent battery life and incredibly bright when on full power.
Got a zebra light 18650...I dunno. Not too enamored with it. Had It a few years...but running on high,.seems like it's suddenly overheating or switching to low power way sooner than I'd like.
And I suppose it's higher tech than others, but why can't they make an adjustable beam like my petzls and stuff. It's just pick one and live with it for everything...or get another one.

twall13

WKR
Got a zebra light 18650...I dunno. Not too enamored with it. Had It a few years...but running on high,.seems like it's suddenly overheating or switching to low power way sooner than I'd like.
And I suppose it's higher tech than others, but why can't they make an adjustable beam like my petzls and stuff. It's just pick one and live with it for everything...or get another one.
Ya none of these are going to last super long on the highest power, but I don't typically need that much light for long periods of time. My 18650 Zebra will go a lot longer at 400 lumens than any AA powered headlamp I've ever tried at that same output. That said, I've also found there are big differences in the 18650 battery quality. Better batteries last much longer. With typical use at moderate light output I can easily go an entire weeks backpack trip with the Zebra and know I'll have plenty of juice to spare. Save the high settings for when you really need it in short spurts and it will last a long time.

I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on the adjustable beam. Most of the time I want a floody beam pattern, but I don't want to carry an extra light just for when I want some throw. So I either have a floody light and miss out on the throw when I want it or I pick the standard beam pattern and live with a hot spot I don't need or want most of the time. I have an Ultraspire running lamp (waist mounted) that also uses an 18650 battery and I can move back and forth between flood and spot with a quick twist on the lens housing. I really wish Zebra would incorporate that feature. The flood and spot might not be as totally uniform, but I'll gladly take that flexibility over having to choose one for all situations.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Ya none of these are going to last super long on the highest power, but I don't typically need that much light for long periods of time. My 18650 Zebra will go a lot longer at 400 lumens than any AA powered headlamp I've ever tried at that same output. That said, I've also found there are big differences in the 18650 battery quality. Better batteries last much longer. With typical use at moderate light output I can easily go an entire weeks backpack trip with the Zebra and know I'll have plenty of juice to spare. Save the high settings for when you really need it in short spurts and it will last a long time.

I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on the adjustable beam. Most of the time I want a floody beam pattern, but I don't want to carry an extra light just for when I want some throw. So I either have a floody light and miss out on the throw when I want it or I pick the standard beam pattern and live with a hot spot I don't need or want most of the time. I have an Ultraspire running lamp (waist mounted) that also uses an 18650 battery and I can move back and forth between flood and spot with a quick twist on the lens housing. I really wish Zebra would incorporate that feature. The flood and spot might not be as totally uniform, but I'll gladly take that flexibility over having to choose one for all situations.

Right. I need to study the paper to figure out the programming and setting. Brush up on it. See if I still have it around. And Im not sure what light I even have anymore,.is.there a way to ID the things? It's a floody, with the 18whatever batteries, but that's about all I know.

Seeknelk

WKR
Yeah it seems like being so advanced, they'd make an adjustable beam. When you get cliffed out , listening to creeks roaring down in the alder choked blackness, you suddenly wish you had the giant spotlight type like my old black diamond.

twall13

WKR
Right. I need to study the paper to figure out the programming and setting. Brush up on it. See if I still have it around. And Im not sure what light I even have anymore,.is.there a way to ID the things? It's a floody, with the 18whatever batteries, but that's about all I know.
Easiest way I know to ID them is to pull up my email from when I bought it. I think they've made some little changes to the body as they have gone through different upgrades but I haven't tracked it enough to know the differences over the years. Either way, the operation shouldn't change between models. If you have a Floody model, the biggest difference from that and other floody Zebra 18650's would be the light color.

I’ve been happy with my Fenix HL32R used for the past 2-3 years. Probably just need to learn the function better but I do occasionally with I could see further at night.
I did order 2 of the sofirn linked on page 1 for under $35 with batteries and free shipping. Don’t have any other 18650 lights to compare against but I do have an old 123A battery flashlight with more yellow light and a Fenix that runs on AA which is pretty bright to compare with.
Wish I would have gotten a charger, extra batteries and 14500 rechargeable batteries

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds more like a bad battery.

Zappaman

WKR
Depends on the model. I just purchased a HS10 and it is USB C.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
The large majority of Sofirn lights use USB C and have for years now. The only model I have (out of about 8 or so) that uses the older micro-USB cord are (all) the D25 headlamp versions.

Glad all are enjoying their Sofirns!

Another NU25 here. Also have some 18650 type lights, but I use those around the cabin since they are heavier..

Lukedog

FNG
Just ordered a D25L and a D25LR based on the value and feedback on this thread. Will report back when I receive them and how they stack up against my Petzl Reactik - which I have had for years.

I’ve been happy with my Fenix HL32R used for the past 2-3 years. Probably just need to learn the function better but I do occasionally with I could see further at night.
I did order 2 of the sofirn linked on page 1 for under $35 with batteries and free shipping. Don’t have any other 18650 lights to compare against but I do have an old 123A battery flashlight with more yellow light and a Fenix that runs on AA which is pretty bright to compare with.
Wish I would have gotten a charger, extra batteries and 14500 rechargeable batteries

Ordered Monday 4/25 and received today 4/30.
Much brighter than my Fenix and better distance. Just what I was looking for only weighs an extra 0.4 oz too.
Fenix 3.8 oz vs Sofirn 4.2 oz

Kpdaniels

FNG
I like my fenix hl60r. I have had for about 4 years and never had an issue with it. They have probably come out with newer and better ones since I got that one but I’ve never felt the need to upgrade