Favorite Backcountry Gear 2022

FL 1/4 zip grid fleece. Was pretty warm during rifle mule deer, mid 60s-low 70’s during the day. Was a perfect stand alone top with the sleeves pulled up. Was also a great mid layer with merino base layer and soft shell or puffy over the top.

Friggin foot warmers man. No matter what boot/sock combination I’ve tried, cold feet are always the ticking time bomb of when my glassing session turns into a hike just because my feet are aching with cold. This year during a mid November rifle elk hunt in the mid 20’s I just slid some of those generic boot length foot warmers into my boots as soon as I got sat down and didn’t have to leave a minute before I was good and ready to be done glassing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
My list for this past year.

Swarovski NL Pure 10X42 - Wanted to use them this past season to see if they were worth it. For me, zero buyers remorse, they are spectacular.

Flextail Air Pump - A nice addition to my kit.

Primos Surround View Blind - Obviously not a western piece of gear per se, but was a game changer for my Kansas WT hunt. It is awesome to be able to see out of your blind when sitting for a long time.

Kuiu Peleton 97 - I had overlooked this piece for a long time. Saw a friend with one and gave it a try. I'm super impressed for the warmth you get out of such a light package. Definitely will be in my arsenal going forward.

S.Clancy

WKR
Scarpa Ribelle HD boots- I put several hundred and ~80K vert on them between training, shed hunting and regular hunting. They are awesome.

Hammer Hunter 126 (.277)- 3rd year with these bullets. The FPS and energy I can produce with a 270 Win with these bullets turns it into a 600 yd gun, in the even I ever need it to be.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
what made you go for the 6 creedmoor over the 6.5?
Oh, I have both. As well as a 6.5 prc and a 6.5 x 284.
Each has there own "personality"
But the 6 creed is the easier of them all to shoot and spotting impacts is a hoot with it.

Randy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
-wigwam moose hunter socks
-simms g3 waders
-kifaru LPP
-260g accubonds (.375)
-nitecore headlamp
-Barney’s pack frame
-rafts by pristine ventures and alpacka

rootacres

WKR
Great Thread!

New sleep system for me,
El Coyote Quilt / Klymit Static V Insulated Pad / Sea to Summit Pillow

I have a pretty wide back and am a stomach sleeper. A narrow thermarest and mummy bag like everyone else seems to use just didn’t work for me. It sucks but I’m a very light sleeper. This combo made a huge difference. Waking up refreshed 5, 6, 7 days in was a game changer. The pad is a little heavy, the quilt is super light, they kinda cancel each other out (or at least that’s how I’m justifying it).

Zoleo for the win.

Leupold Mark 5HD (3.6-18x44) was perfect.

Last edited:

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo Tensor Insulated Wide sleeping pad—that extra five inches makes all the difference. And this is my first pad with the inflation sack and I love it.

Farpointe Cruiser-alpha direct material is crazy. At 6oz, this will be going everywhere. I have had a Patagonia Houdini jacket forever and this pairing is great and super light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New item that impressed me was marmot lithium 0 degree bag. Had it down to -5 in idaho with only sweats and a Puffy vest underneath and stayed warm...except my nose lol

rideold

WKR
Maven B.6 12x50 binos.. Just spectacular
Swift Instant Coffee. Still instant but better than any I've tried. Loved that mid-day hot cup of coffee after lunch!
VIAM game bags. Used them and washed them twice in the course of a week. Cleaned up super easy and worked great.

Dented

WKR
Mavin B2 6x30 binos
Hoffman Pac boots
Mavin RF1 Rangefinder.
Fallkniven H1 knife.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been very partial to mine; have got it to under 6 lbs all in (scope/mounts/ammo)- folks that heft it say it feels almost like a toy rifle :D

My 25+ year old Schnee Hunters got a real workout this year with a foot of snow (and more to follow) on the opening weekend of elk season. To be able to hike 10+ miles in pac boots still seems really impressive to me.

In attempt to thin the herd of my many packs, I replaced my trusty SG frame/pack bag with what was my "winter" backpacking pack- the SO Divide. I used the Divide on a 8 day (arduous w/ lots of scrambling) trip through the Sierra's late summer and used it a bunch antelope/deer/elk hunting. So far I'm impressed with my experimentation.

My Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt continues to be a staple in my year round adventures; easily my most used garment- summer though winter.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my new knife- it's a Charles May Bird & Trout II LB (long blade-4"). I won't be using it on bird and trout, but it makes an excellent knife for boning/breaking down big game. SV30 steel allows me to breakdown game up to an elk w/o sharpening, at home some light stropping and it's back to hair popping. Orange G10 handle so I can find it when I set it down!

toOD1s6.jpg

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Two new items for me this year that impressed.

Tarptent double rainbow dw - I went from a 1p big agnes tent to a 2p tarp tent. I think it was .5lb heavier but the extra room I got out of it has made life in the backcountry so much more comfortable. Set up and take down of it are crazy fast and easy.

Sitka arrowhead Mdwi hoody - I got this after reading @mtwarden review of it. I got it when it was on sale but was still really skeptical of its performance for the price for such a light weight jacket. It has become my go to jacket for just about everything. I know the insulation is similar but a little different than the ambient but the hype is real and it punches well above its weight class.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had decent, actual hunting clothing. This year I was able to get first Lite wick hoodie top, furnace top and zip off bottoms, Sitka active hoodie and Sitka active jacket thanks to several sales that happened this year. Really impressed and excited to continue refining my kit.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi birksdal boot. 2 years on them and love the support.
SG chilkoot 15 degree is a great bag.
Sea to summit Ether lite XT although not the lightest option, being a side sleeper, this pad is warm and comfy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Not backcountry but the Kodiak Canvas Swag was the shining star of my season. Kept it rolled up in the bed of my truck with a pillow and sleeping bag inside… doesn’t matter where I am at, if I am near the truck I could be comfy in about 2 minutes and get an awesome nights sleep.