Favorite Backcountry Gear 2022

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Time to fire up the annual favorite gear of the year thread. I always love hearing what other people had that stood out to them. Rules are simple. Can be new things you used this year, or just items that you've had for a while that impressed you for some reason. I'm trying not to point out gear I've mentioned in the past, even if I really liked it (i.e. my Exo Pack). In no particular order:

1. Schnees Beartooth Insulated. Used these on a couple of late season hunts and they were a great balance between not being too warm for mountain hunting, but better than not having any insulation in my toes for glassing sessions.
2. First Lite Omen Rain Gear. These aren't new to me this year, but I really relied on the Omen this year in Alaska on a miserable Kodiak hunt and it was invaluable.
3. Nosler 6.5C Mountain Carbon. This is my third year with this rifle. Light, crazy accurate and fun to shoot.
4. Vortex 10x42 Razor UHD Binos. I don't know how many hours I have behind these, but I really like them. Would recommend to anyone.
5. RX Bars. I eat a LOT of bars. And I have a love hate realationship with them because most of them have too much sugar. I rarely get tired of these ones, and I buy them in bulk.
6. Patagonia Swiftcurrent Waders. These are my go-to waders for any travel, especially in Alaska. They pack down to a nalgene sized water bottle and are really light. I pair with a set of crocs for stream crossings and getting in and out of float planes. Almost lost them this year and it reminded me how much I like them.
7. Argali Absaroka 4P Tent. I know, this is self serving, but I do love this tent!
8. SOG PowerPint Multitool. I'm usually someone that thinks carrying a multi-tool is pointless, but this thing saved my bacon after a llama rodeo destroyed a couple pack saddles on an archery elk hunt. It's small enough to fit into my bino harness.
9. FHF Rifle Sling. I hate carrying my rifle on my shoulder, but this sling changed that for me. Well designed and incredibly functional.
10. Day Six Evo 100g Broadheads. I was lucky to do a lot of archery hunting this year. Killed 3 animals with the same broadhead, and a few others with these heads. I'm a fan.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Favorite new gear for me was my ThermaRest sleeping bag with their SynergyLink straps that hold the sleeping bag on the pad. I toss and turn in my sleep and the straps allowed my body to turn inside the bag without the whole bag turning. I slept much better with the straps than without.

sargent

WKR
Stand outs for me this year were

Crispi Lapponia boots: I'm on my second pair of the original version. I wore them a lot turkey hunting in the spring and for my elk hunt and packout, as well as a bunch of miles in between.

Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet pack: For the second year running, I used this pack to tote camp and food for a week long elk hunt and pack out the first load of meat. For an ultralight pack (17 ounces), it handles weight pretty well, and it keeps my base weight low.

Kimber Hunter .308: It's the lightest gun I've ever carried and it got the job done for me this fall. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Sitka Stratus pant and coat. Absolutely money for cool to mild temps.
Overwatch Transformer saddle. Great comfort and extremely well made.
Nock On Silverback. Really makes you work and trust your process.
I did not change much in my elk set up. Tried sheepfeet but still trying to get those right.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a western hunter but I did change my whitetail setup this year to go farther and lighter. These items for me made the difference.

EXO K3 1800
Barronette Radar Blind
Helionox Sunset Chair
Argali Game Bags

They allowed me to in light and come out heavy.

Elkangle

WKR
Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet pack: For the second year running, I used this pack to tote camp and food for a week long elk hunt and pack out the first load of meat. For an ultralight pack (17 ounces), it handles weight pretty well,

How much did your first load weigh ? That's wild a 17 ounce pack is handling that

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Sitka Ambient hoody. Times like 5,000. I’ve been so impressed with this piece. So much so I kind of want to try the full zip heavier version for later season.

SG enduro hoody - I like the fit and ability to move moisture, first real try for synthetic longer term. First polygiene piece that hasn’t stunk instantly for me.

SG Grumman pants - first season with puffy bottoms - late season awesomeness.

sargent

WKR
How much did your first load weigh ? That's wild a 17 ounce pack is handling that
That's why the pack made my list! Last year's first load weighed 65#. This year was 53# (I shot a small bull). Both times I packed a deboned front shoulder, backstraps and tenderloins, as well as emergency stuff, a spare layer, and my rifle. The MLD pack is built tough. Here's a picture of this year's first load. The main bag is full of meat.
First Load 22'.jpg

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Favorite new gear for me was my ThermaRest sleeping bag with their SynergyLink straps that hold the sleeping bag on the pad. I toss and turn in my sleep and the straps allowed my body to turn inside the bag without the whole bag turning. I slept much better with the straps than without.
Do they sell those straps individually? I did a quick google search but looks like they only come integrated

OldGrayJB

WKR
Do they sell those straps individually? I did a quick google search but looks like they only come integrated
The bag has loops sewn into it so you can attach the straps. I don't think you can buy them separately.

Northpark

WKR
Not many changes for me in 2022. The ones I liked are:

1. Kuiu bone out game bags. Got a couple for free to try and decided I actually really liked them.
2. 12-27x56 maven spotter. Lightweight and clear glass. Won’t be changing up my spotter for awhile.
3. Silencerco harvester evo suppressor. Really can’t imagine going back to unsuppressed at this point.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Time to fire up the annual favorite gear of the year thread. I always love hearing what other people had that stood out to them. Rules are simple. Can be new things you used this year, or just items that you've had for a while that impressed you for some reason. I'm trying not to point out gear I've mentioned in the past, even if I really liked it (i.e. my Exo Pack). In no particular order:

1. Schnees Beartooth Insulated. Used these on a couple of late season hunts and they were a great balance between not being too warm for mountain hunting, but better than not having any insulation in my toes for glassing sessions.
2. First Lite Omen Rain Gear. These aren't new to me this year, but I really relied on the Omen this year in Alaska on a miserable Kodiak hunt and it was invaluable.
3. Nosler 6.5C Mountain Carbon. This is my third year with this rifle. Light, crazy accurate and fun to shoot.
4. Vortex 10x42 Razor UHD Binos. I don't know how many hours I have behind these, but I really like them. Would recommend to anyone.
5. RX Bars. I eat a LOT of bars. And I have a love hate realationship with them because most of them have too much sugar. I rarely get tired of these ones, and I buy them in bulk.
6. Patagonia Swiftcurrent Waders. These are my go-to waders for any travel, especially in Alaska. They pack down to a nalgene sized water bottle and are really light. I pair with a set of crocs for stream crossings and getting in and out of float planes. Almost lost them this year and it reminded me how much I like them.
7. Argali Absaroka 4P Tent. I know, this is self serving, but I do love this tent!
8. SOG PowerPint Multitool. I'm usually someone that thinks carrying a multi-tool is pointless, but this thing saved my bacon after a llama rodeo destroyed a couple pack saddles on an archery elk hunt. It's small enough to fit into my bino harness.
9. FHF Rifle Sling. I hate carrying my rifle on my shoulder, but this sling changed that for me. Well designed and incredibly functional.
10. Day Six Evo 100g Broadheads. I was lucky to do a lot of archery hunting this year. Killed 3 animals with the same broadhead, and a few others with these heads. I'm a fan.
Favor

The Kuiu rifle harness really made a difference this year. Did not have to deal with the rifle sliding down my shoulder, should have gotten something like this long time ago.

Kuiu super down ultra puffy pants - Made a huge difference in those long cold sits and only 8 oz perfect for CA late October weather.

gggaff

FNG
My Favorite new gear was a Kifaru Stryker XL. I like how it can carry a large load if I'm hiking in or am carrying out meat, but will compress down into a small package for day hunt mode.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kimber Hunter .308: It's the lightest gun I've ever carried and it got the job done for me this fall. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

I've been very partial to mine; have got it to under 6 lbs all in (scope/mounts/ammo)- folks that heft it say it feels almost like a toy rifle :D

My 25+ year old Schnee Hunters got a real workout this year with a foot of snow (and more to follow) on the opening weekend of elk season. To be able to hike 10+ miles in pac boots still seems really impressive to me.

In attempt to thin the herd of my many packs, I replaced my trusty SG frame/pack bag with what was my "winter" backpacking pack- the SO Divide. I used the Divide on a 8 day (arduous w/ lots of scrambling) trip through the Sierra's late summer and used it a bunch antelope/deer/elk hunting. So far I'm impressed with my experimentation.

My Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt continues to be a staple in my year round adventures; easily my most used garment- summer though winter.

TD3LOWn.jpg

Ram94

WKR
Durston XMid 2P Solid was my favourite new piece. Very well thought out design and really impressed with the silpoly over silnylon.

SG Grumman jacket gets an honourable mention as well.

WyoKid

WKR
Crispi Nevada boots. Good boots will you take places.

Last edited:

Pdzoller

WKR
1. Enlightened Equipment custom Enigma quilt. Used in single digits and up to 80 degree nights. No issues and the weight is nothing.

2. Sitka sun hat for glassing. Folds into bino harness, keeps head cool during the heat and fits over the jetstream beanie so it’s still useful for snow glare.

3. Bino bivy. If you don’t have one, get one! Weighs nothing and costs very little, makes a HUGE difference.

4. Kuiu Attack pants. I actually don’t even use them for hunting but use them for work. I’m a utility arborist and have found them to be the cats meow in the PNW for climbing trees. Had them over a year now with extreme use. No major issues.

5. HydraPak 8 liter skin. No punctures (knock on wood) with heavy use. Great for cutting down on water trips while spiking out.

sndmn11

WKR
Some new, some old.

-Proper fitting boots (Hanwag Alverstone wide, Hoffman Explorer, and Hoffman Pacs)
-Seek Outside UltraPE Goshawk
-My cork handled knives
-Seek Outside DCF cimmaron
-Western Mountaineering quilt