F&*kin Pack Rats!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A livetrap on the front porch, and 22 birdshot..... Then toss them up on the roof to keep the dogs from getting them.

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_5076.JPEG

IMG_5026.JPEG

IMG_1445(1).JPG

IMG_9024.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_1561.JPEG

IMG_1565.JPEG
Very nice pistols and revolver. Revolver looks like a S&W, yes?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
These little bastards like(d) chewing into my jugs of Sluggo and then depositing it my rubber boots in the garage. It's a "green" kind of slug bait we use in our veggie garden here. In Western WA we have an enormous slug problem with enormous slugs. Some of the bananas are 8"+. I started baiting some heavy duty glue traps in my garage with the slug bait. Problem solved.

Had rats a couple years ago. They had tunnels under my plastic shed and green house. I dropped about 15 poison baits in pinch points and areas of access. dropped about 8 on day 1. Went back day 2 and 5 of the 8 were missing, so I dropped more in the same locations. day 3 found a 16" rat dead in my driveway.

I don't F-around. We demolished the green house and moved the shed not long after and found 5 more rats dead. I also keep small dishes of anti-freeze and rat bait in mouse and rat access areas in my garage

So let me get this right.. When I'm hunting out west I need to put down traps to prevent rats from chewing up my trailer or truck?

*zap*

WKR
Many newer vehicles have wiring that is made from soy (I believe) and it smells like food....

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So let me get this right.. When I'm hunting out west I need to put down traps to prevent rats from chewing up my trailer or truck?

Not sure about traps, but if there are packrats in the area, might not hurt to leave the hood up on your vehicle—notorious for building nests in the engine bay and chewing a few wires while they are at it.

I unknowingly brought one home, surviving a 100+ mile drive in the Summer. Drove my truck and the damn thing had no power. It was older vehicle and thought maybe get it out on the interstate and open up for bit—nope still had no power.

Popped open the hood and saw a bunch of dried grass, fur etc wondering WTF? It had built a big nest in the engine bay. I looked around and saw a wire chewed in half; it happened to be a wire to the throttle body (just two on this old jeep), one was intact the other cut. Spliced the wire (and cleaned out the nest!) and truck was good to go again.

Justin (Raz) Rasmussen

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I did battle with one of those dang creatures last fall in one of my favorite elk spots. Id be parked for 5 mins and the dang thing would come right to my truck and have a field day. Happened three or four times. I'd leave the hood unlatched but mostly closed trying to stab the little terrorist with a broad head as he was never in a spot i could shoot him with my pistol. Finally found this product at the farm supply and he never came back.

Earthkind - Botanical Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent 4-Pack

Just leave a pack in the engine bay all fall and no more rat problems

Bucky44

FNG
Saw one on my sidewalk at at 430 this morning, big fat mofo. I'm officially at war, any tips would be appreciated as I prepare for battle.
I used a live trap with peanut butter, Pack rats are smart. Best was to lock the trap open for a night or two until they get used to going in, then set the trap. Works for me every time for the last 30 years. Then dispose as needed.

Sled

WKR
Not sure about traps, but if there are packrats in the area, might not hurt to leave the hood up on your vehicle—notorious for building nests in the engine bay and chewing a few wires while they are at it.

I unknowingly brought one home, surviving a 100+ mile drive in the Summer. Drove my truck and the damn thing had no power. It was older vehicle and thought maybe get it out on the interstate and open up for bit—nope still had no power.

Popped open the hood and saw a bunch of dried grass, fur etc wondering WTF? It had built a big nest in the engine bay. I looked around and saw a wire chewed in half; it happened to be a wire to the throttle body (just two on this old jeep), one was intact the other cut. Spliced the wire (and cleaned out the nest!) and truck was good to go again.
20230906_023201.jpg

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
We have a rat ir more that burrowed under our chicken coop. I had 2ftx2ft pavers down for the inside floor. Had tunnels all through it when my son and I ripped them up and got rid of all the chickens. Killed 2 that day and thought they were gone. Nope still digging holes under the shed where the pavers were. Have 6 snap traps out and a cage trap. Tried peanut butter, chicken food, dog food, bacon, cheese, just placing the traps at the holes and around the edges, and nothing has worked. I figured once I removed the food source they would move on. So I'm at a loss. Thinking about crushing up rat poison and putting the powder down where it likes to travel. That way it gets on its fur and feet. Then it will kick itself at some point and ingest the poison. Any other ideas?

Sled

WKR
We have a rat ir more that burrowed under our chicken coop. I had 2ftx2ft pavers down for the inside floor. Had tunnels all through it when my son and I ripped them up and got rid of all the chickens. Killed 2 that day and thought they were gone. Nope still digging holes under the shed where the pavers were. Have 6 snap traps out and a cage trap. Tried peanut butter, chicken food, dog food, bacon, cheese, just placing the traps at the holes and around the edges, and nothing has worked. I figured once I removed the food source they would move on. So I'm at a loss. Thinking about crushing up rat poison and putting the powder down where it likes to travel. That way it gets on its fur and feet. Then it will kick itself at some point and ingest the poison. Any other ideas?

I know potguts can't handle double bubble gum. Might see if a dozen of those down a hole won't stop them up first. It kind of works like the plaster of Paris but they're more likely to eat it.