Exo vs stone glacier

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or two. Any reason to choose one over the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I couldn't tolerate SG's lumbar pad, too aggressively built. I have this issue with a lot of packs.

The bags matter a lot less, but I didn't care for SG's lid, particularly how it rode when the pack wasn't full.

Both are great pack makers with excellent customer service. One just may fit you better, and I don't know a way to determine that without trying them.

fatlander

WKR
Exo bags are laid out better, IMO. SG fits me better. I ended up with a SG.

EXO is coming out with a new frame muiltpe packs to go with it. Their current packs will no longer fit the new system. Might want to hold off until the K4 comes out. If you’re perfectly happy with the K3, you’ll be able to get a great deal on one in a few months when the new frame comes out.

SG is also releasing some new packs. They just launched new R3 packs. Not sure if they have new xcurve and EVO packs coming.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Exo bags are laid out better, IMO. SG fits me better. I ended up with a SG.

EXO is coming out with a new frame muiltpe packs to go with it. Their current packs will no longer fit the new system. Might want to hold off until the K4 comes out. If you’re perfectly happy with the K3, you’ll be able to get a great deal on one in a few months when the new frame comes out.

SG is also releasing some new packs. They just launched new R3 packs. Not sure if they have new xcurve and EVO packs coming.

Lol this doesn’t help any

I’d see if a couple people local will let you try one or the other on. That’s what I did. Other than fit, look at bag features. Horseshoe zipper, how the meat shelves are accessed, hip belt accessory option, weapon carry options, internal storage options, etc.

I don’t like the hood on the SG, don’t like the side pouches on the Exo.

They’re both going to perform, it’s just down to preference on the little things and fit.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your shoes last year, but no rumblings of K4. I went with the Exo 4800 Born and Raised. 1000% satisfied with it and packed out a big bear this summer. Was a heavy load, but managed it very well.

For what it's worth, all Exo makes are packs. Ti frame. I like the design and frame a lot. Both are made in the USA, so hard to go wrong with these too from what I can tell.

sivart

WKR
after trying both, I prefer the EXO, both in frame and bag configuration. I'll be trying the new K4 when it comes out.

Gonna pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or two. Any reason to choose one over the other

if you live in lancaster or chester county shoot me a PM, I have an SG X-curve you can try on today and today only if you come over. I've also got sand and rock bags, you can load it up to 100+ pounds.

Last edited:

K98

FNG
I purchased an EXO 3500 last year and can't believe how comfortable the pack is.

If you don’t mind losing a bit of money with shipping, buy both, put 45 pounds of clean weight in the bag/load shelf, and walk around your house, up and down stairs, bend over, draw your bow, sit and then stand up…stop before you start sweating.

See what fits best and return the other.

skeptic

FNG
I don’t like the hood on the SG, don’t like the side pouches on the Exo.
Packs are big time personal preference. I absolutely love the side pouches on my Exo packs, especially my 3200. I wore mine religiously last year during my goat hunt and loved that I could quickly access my spotter and tripod off the side pouches without having to get into the bag.

I also love the stretchy outside pocket. I would stuff my "puffy" glassing layers in there and they also had really easy access. As an added benefit, when you have puffy layers stuffed in the outside stretch pocket, as well as other items in the pack, it makes an incredible rifle rest. When I ended up shooting my goat I messed around with my bipod for a little bit, but the snow was so deep I couldn't make it work. I just ended up laying my pack down and my rifle nestled in perfect on the puffy layers.

I do echo what everyone else says here though, if you can order a couple and test fit I would do that.

nobody

WKR
Depends on your build, but my vote is SG. Nothing against Exo, hunting partner runs one. But his just doesn't fit my build. And I've heard that the big, soft, squishy pad can slide super easily down on your hips depending on your build, and I heard it from a few guys who were built similar to me. My buddy is built very long and lean (opposite of me), and he even fights it. He fights it bad enough that his hips and toes fall asleep under a moderate load, which he chalks up to "just what happens with a pack on." I heard enough of those types of stories that I bought the SG and haven't looked back. It's been great.

With all that though, I also hear lots of people loving the Exo and being very happy with them, so again, fit is crucial.

EDIT: On the pack lid positioning on the SG, the key is to keep the straps that run over the top of the frame and bag to the lid tight. If you put enough slack in them they WILL sag, but I keep mine tight and I've NEVER had my lid sag down the front of the bag, ever.

Packs are big time personal preference. I absolutely love the side pouches on my Exo packs, especially my 3200. I wore mine religiously last year during my goat hunt and loved that I could quickly access my spotter and tripod off the side pouches without having to get into the bag.

I also love the stretchy outside pocket. I would stuff my "puffy" glassing layers in there and they also had really easy access. As an added benefit, when you have puffy layers stuffed in the outside stretch pocket, as well as other items in the pack, it makes an incredible rifle rest. When I ended up shooting my goat I messed around with my bipod for a little bit, but the snow was so deep I couldn't make it work. I just ended up laying my pack down and my rifle nestled in perfect on the puffy layers.

I do echo what everyone else says here though, if you can order a couple and test fit I would do that.

Yeah specifically the stretchy "water bottle" pouches on the sides. They don't work well for water bottles apparently. I always have to hand my buddy his bottle and put it back for him. If he can pull it out, he can't put it back in.

GotDraw?

WKR

I am in MD just off 95 near DC and have both EXO and SG, you can try mine if you like.

PM me

JL

I’ve had both and have gone back and forth. I like Exo bags the best but the SG frame fits me the best and doest slip. Initially the Exo feels softer and more comfortable and the SG feels little stiffer more rigid but over time with heavy load if you have to fight slipping and always adjusting it’s a pain. I find the SG just stays where it’s suppose to ride.

Also I’d you use load shelf the SG is the best. Exo is easier to get to but actual function goes to SG.