exo mountain pack

jwatts

WKR
Hey Josh, Were you able to give it a work out with some heavy weight? What did you think?
I never did. Between turkey season and yard work I didn't have time. I am working the next 2 weeks. Hopefully my wife has the flower beds finished by the time I get back and I can load it up and give it a shot.

Nice... I took screenshots as well when the site was up... keep drooling over them... Looks to be a solid pack. Pack was supposed to ship this week, hopefully next week we will be good to go! I know Steve has been really busy :)

Guys, I got my pack today and did some testing. I find that sand is too compact for its weight to be a real test of a pack, meaning that it's easier to load heavy weights close to the frame than with a real load of meat. Instead of sand I loaded the bag with 40 pounds of gear (the weight I usually take for a 3 or 4 day hunt) and then added 2 bags of fertilizer and a partial bag of salt. I ended up with 110 bulky pounds on the load shelf with a total pack weight of 150#. After strapping it all in I was surprised how stable it was. There was no front to back flex of the frame. I did a few laps around the yard and had no shifting. 150 on this pack feels better than 125pounds of sand on my external frame I've been training with. Very impressed!
View attachment 24391

mtnkid85

WKR
With the new floating lid on the 2015 packs. Can you run just the lid on the frame without the pack body?
Say if you had the frame, beaver tail and the lid?

Also any plans to offer a Blaze Orange beavertail?

With the new floating lid on the 2015 packs. Can you run just the lid on the frame without the pack body?
Say if you had the frame, beaver tail and the lid?

Also any plans to offer a Blaze Orange beavertail?

Yeah you can definitely do that, I'll post some pics up tomorrow of that combination. We do hope to have a blaze orange beavertail ready by summer.

parshal

WKR
Would be awesome to have a dedicated day pack that mounts on the frame!!

Not thinking through all the details here but it seems it would be kind of cool to have a small day pack that is attached to the frame behind the main bag. In order to use it you'd only need to remove the main bag. It would kind of sit where the meat shelf sits when not in use. I'd guess that would be extra unnecessary weight since the larger bags compress so much but it makes for an interesting thought (at least to me early in this AM).

That is one of the reasons I bought a different pack system as I just didn't want to use the bigger pack for a day pack that I use every day, all day, plus I didn't want to have to switch out daypack gear and camp gear. That was just my preference. With the UL gear out there, it is minimal weight difference.

mtnkid85

WKR
That is why I was wanting to know if the lid could be used separately. Between the lid, the little pocket on the frame and having a beaver tail to compress jackets or whatever else, that is going to make for a pretty nice little day pack with out needing to purchase or carry anything else.

Randle

WKR
I am looking at it as a compression Panel bag that is used with the beavertail to hold a meatballs for first load out

Not thinking through all the details here but it seems it would be kind of cool to have a small day pack that is attached to the frame behind the main bag. In order to use it you'd only need to remove the main bag. It would kind of sit where the meat shelf sits when not in use. I'd guess that would be extra unnecessary weight since the larger bags compress so much but it makes for an interesting thought (at least to me early in this AM).

They do... the Slurpy Stalker pretty much can do exactly what you are describing seems to me...

http://exomountaingear.com/shop/water-bladder-carrier/

Maybe not as big as you were thinking, but if you don't have a bladder in it should do just fine.