Exo Mountain K4?

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Dude it’s going to be a banger setup. My only thing I need to decide on is do I stick with my SG grumman 15 down sleeping bag or go to a down quilt? I have used one for early season, but I'm nervous using one say 25 degrees or colder. The quilt sure does pack smaller though.
My wife and I’ve been using Katabatic flex 15 degree quilts with 2 extra oz of fill for the past three years. I’ve been in it down to 13 degrees and stayed warm wearing my base layer thermals and a medium weight hoody. I have a Western Mountaineering Kodiak bag for late season hunts, but I don’t think I’d ever go back to a bag for early to mid season hunts. I can open it up and use it as a blanket if it’s warmer or cinch it down to my pad if it’s cold. It’s nice having the lightweight and versatility. I sleep on my side a lot, which is nice with a quilt. Plus, when I’m in grizzly country I don’t feel like a wrapped up bear burrito lol

S.Clancy

WKR
I’m always truly amazed how some people are able to get all their gear in such small bags. I’ve got lightweight gear, try to pack like a minimalist, and I’d be damned if I can’t get it all in at least a 5500 sized pack for anything involving my camp. Now I don’t use the load shelf on my way in for holding food, etc. as I’m hoping to haul meat and my camp at the same time. Seriously, I’m going to need someone to give me a “master class” on how to pack!! Seeing stuff like this frustrates me, because I feel like I’m (and might truly be) doing something wrong.
I think there smaller then us. Only explanation i have. As my camp gear is minimal enough most people think I'm crazy.
I think its just size medium vs xl/2xl
I use the old 2000 bag for nearly everything. I can get 4-5 nights out of it, which covers basically all my hunting. I'm also not that small (6'1", 185-190). I only use the shelf for packing water in, if we are hunting a spot that it is needed.

I used my 5500 in AK this year, with 14 days of food my pack was 49 pounds (no weapon, I wasn't the one with the tag) weighed by the airline.

I use the old 2000 bag for nearly everything. I can get 4-5 nights out of it, which covers basically all my hunting. I'm also not that small (6'1", 185-190). I only use the shelf for packing water in, if we are hunting a spot that it is needed.

I used my 5500 in AK this year, with 14 days of food my pack was 49 pounds (no weapon, I wasn't the one with the tag) weighed by the airline.
Awe 190 cute little guy. This is mostly a joke.
But yeah I still consider 190 a small person.
I'm a big fat sob standing next to you.
I look like skin stretched over bone if I could even get to 205

I don't use the collar to its full potential either as I don't like it sticking way up.

But in a k2 3500 5 days and I thought that sob was going to explode.
And I use a 6x9 tarp and a bivy. I don't even use a full tent.
I can almost guarantee I'm about as minimal as it gets besides my sleeping bag.

S.Clancy

WKR
Awe 190 cute little guy. This is mostly a joke.
But yeah I still consider 190 a small person.
I'm a big fat sob standing next to you.
I look like skin stretched over bone if I could even get to 205

I don't use the collar to its full potential either as I don't like it sticking way up.

But in a k2 3500 5 days and I thought that sob was going to explode.
And I use a 6x9 tarp and a bivy. I don't even use a full tent.
I can almost guarantee I'm about as minimal as it gets besides my sleeping bag.
You must be a giant.

Here's my base stuff for warm weather hunting solo. If with a partner my shelter and stove would be cut in half. Weights are in oz.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121-174516.png
    Screenshot_20230121-174516.png
    270 KB · Views: 107
You must be a giant.

Here's my base stuff for warm weather hunting solo. If with a partner my shelter and stove would be cut in half. Weights are in oz.
See im not taking rain gear, gloves or a kindle.

No idea what it weighs nor do I care. I made good selections that work for me.

6x9 Tarp
Bivy
SG chilkoot 15
Pad
Sawyer squeeze w bag.
Kill kit
Trek poles.
1st aid kit, that isn't much.
Multi tool
Puffy
Mid layer
Dark energy battery bank
Jet boil
Beanie, neck gaiter.
Water bladder
Nalgene
I even started re packing my food in zip locks. That did really help.
If I used a real tent, or took another layer, or leggings idk how it would fit.

S.Clancy

WKR
See im not taking rain gear, gloves or a kindle.

No idea what it weighs nor do I care. I made good selections that work for me.

6x9 Tarp
Bivy
SG chilkoot 15
Pad
Sawyer squeeze w bag.
Kill kit
Trek poles.
1st aid kit, that isn't much.
Multi tool
Puffy
Mid layer
Dark energy battery bank
Jet boil
Beanie, neck gaiter.
Water bladder
Nalgene
I even started re packing my food in zip locks. That did really help.
If I used a real tent, or took another layer, or leggings idk how it would fit.
I guess if you are using a 6'6" and/or wide sleeping bag + bigger clothes I could see how your stuff takes up quite a bit more volume.

My buddy from Ohio calls me "a Midwest midget"...thank God for that.

Im not surprised when someone says they get a few more days. But when they say double. That's when I get a little caution.
Maybe if I blew the snow collar all the way to the top, and used a compression sack.
But idk how Steve gets 10 days in a 3200. I'll have to watch the video.

Xerute

FNG
Im not surprised when someone says they get a few more days. But when they say double. That's when I get a little caution.
Maybe if I blew the snow collar all the way to the top, and used a compression sack.
But idk how Steve gets 10 days in a 3200. I'll have to watch the video.

Also I just modified the gear list that Exo came out with to make sure everything is packed. It gives me a look at everything that goes in my pack on a sheet and how much is weighs. Here is a link to that: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAt2nd5uYr_Ab5UR_o7C7RII5074UEQI17Q94yaEfSc/edit#gid=0

No offense to spreadsheets but I did one when I started backpacking and then realized I’m gonna take the bare essentials for what I need, regardless of what it weighs. I use absolutely the best ultralight gear so whatever it weighs is what my pack will weigh. Sure I know I could cut 10 ounces by going to a quilt and that is appealing to me but I don’t need a spreadsheet to know that.

If the freedom of a quilt sounds nice to you, go for it. I love mine. If you like how a sleeping bag feels, don't sacrifice comfort.
Man this is such a simple statement but really spoke to me. I love my SG 15 degree sleeping bag and sleep well. Maybe the 10 oz and little more pack room isn’t worth sacrificing my comfort

prm

WKR
At the end of the day we’re all doing this for the enjoyment. Be comfortable enough!

I like having a spreadsheet as a checklist, but it also shows me where the weight is coming from and occasionally I see a better idea. No harm in it.

No offense to spreadsheets but I did one when I started backpacking and then realized I’m gonna take the bare essentials for what I need, regardless of what it weighs. I use absolutely the best ultralight gear so whatever it weighs is what my pack will weigh. Sure I know I could cut 10 ounces by going to a quilt and that is appealing to me but I don’t need a spreadsheet to know that.
Soooo I've come to a loose conclusion.
If you're not into spread sheets you won't be into quilts.
I think spreadsheeters have a more diligent and Analytical mindset, more through with the deets if you will.
They may also be into shelters that I consider overly complicated to set up.
I believe they think thru the setup more thoroughly and don't mind messing with all the straps and clips and dohickys.

Me im a baby gorilla, I just want to throw my stuff on the ground soon as I decide its night night time and sleep for every minute offered. I'm not looking very far for a spot, I'm not messing with straps. Etc etc.

There for I tried 2 different quilts and I hated both.

Soooo I've come to a loose conclusion.
If you're not into spread sheets you won't be into quilts.
I think spreadsheeters have a more diligent and Analytical mindset, more through with the deets if you will.
They may also be into shelters that I consider overly complicated to set up.
I believe they think thru the setup more thoroughly and don't mind messing with all the straps and clips and dohickys.

Me im a baby gorilla, I just want to throw my stuff on the ground soon as I decide its night night time and sleep for every minute offered. I'm not looking very far for a spot, I'm not messing with straps. Etc etc.

There for I tried 2 different quilts and I hated both.
Well said and I think you’re right after reading a few pros and cons and ultimately knowing I sleep really well and I’m comfortable in my sleeping bag. I will continue with that. I would rather buy the next pack up in size than jeopardize, the comfort and the system that I have built over the last 10 years.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Man this is such a simple statement but really spoke to me. I love my SG 15 degree sleeping bag and sleep well. Maybe the 10 oz and little more pack room isn’t worth sacrificing my comfort
I actually got heavier going to a quilt by a few ounces, I already used sleep bags unzipped as the restriction of being zipped in makes it hard for me to sleep. A quilt solved a lot of problems for me and I sleep better, which is why I will keep using it.

For people who are happy with their bags and only want to save weight, I think getting a second bag for warmer weather is a better us of money. Good or bad sleep carries forward for the entire day and the effect of poor sleep is cumulative.

I find my floorless shelters to be simpler than most free standing tents I have used, I have a spreadsheet though, so might just be broken upstairs.

I actually got heavier going to a quilt by a few ounces, I already used sleep bags unzipped as the restriction of being zipped in makes it hard for me to sleep. A quilt solved a lot of problems for me and I sleep better, which is why I will keep using it.

For people who are happy with their bags and only want to save weight, I think getting a second bag for warmer weather is a better us of money. Good or bad sleep carries forward for the entire day and the effect of poor sleep is cumulative.

I find my floorless shelters to be simpler than most free standing tents I have used, I have a spreadsheet though, so might just be broken upstairs.
Hahaha.
Just saying for instance.
Dicking with the pad straps, seemed like the end of the world for me at the end of a hard day chasing bugles.
I carried them one time. When it came time to put them on I was like awe hell no.
Had a seek redcliff.
Used it twice.
It fell over once because I didn't mess with it enough.
Sold it

sivart

WKR
I had an issue with some ladybugs in my tarp early last season. (like 3 million lady bugs).

Never again will I use a floorless shelter. And never again will I have a shelter w/o a bug net.

Live and learn

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
The boss lady is right ticked I want to sell my kuiu setup for one of these bad boys. The molle hip belt/shoulder straps is a great touch, something the kuiu is definitely missing.