Exercise Frequency vs Duration

My routine for the last few years is that I exercise 5 times a week. This usually comprises of three two mile hikes that involve walking down a hill, jogging about halfway up, walking up the rest of the way, and rinse and repeat with 75-95 pounds in the pack. Then two days a week it is just walking up and down a different, steeper hill for a mile with the same weight. Occasionally I’ll mix in a mile run or a mile on the tread climber if I’m short on time.

So far, it’s worked for me. I’ve felt adequately prepared physically for the hunts. That said, it’s getting harder and harder to get that many workouts in each week with family life, house maintenance, etc.

The question for you fitness experts is if I replicated the same amount of work (mileage and weight) but did it over four workouts instead of five, is that going to make any difference? Would having the extra rest day maybe even help a bit for recovery?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe. Individuals respond differently, there is no one answered. I say try it and see. Nothing clearly says it would be better or worse to me.

I'm no expert though, so there is that.

The question for you fitness experts is if I replicated the same amount of work (mileage and weight) but did it over four workouts instead of five, is that going to make any difference? Would having the extra rest day maybe even help a bit for recovery?
You will absolutely be fine consolidating your training.
The first bit of advice I would offer is to focus more on time out moving than distance covered.
You will find it easier to increase your work capacity if the metric you're trying to build upon is time moving, especially under load.
You can use NEPA (non-exercise physical activity) to increase the amount of time you spend moving. Things like walking farther from your car to the store, mowing the lawn, etc.....
You can also increase the weight of your ruck to get more work in.
More recovery is always better. You can only train as hard as you can recover from.
When I write a long-term training programs for my athletes the first variables I factor in are rest days and rest hours between training sessions. The next thing I factor in are active recovery sessions. Their actual training sessions are flexible. Programmed rest and recovery is concrete and non-negotiable.
Good Journey!

OP
G
The first bit of advice I would offer is to focus more on time out moving than distance covered.
You will find it easier to increase your work capacity if the metric you're trying to build upon is time moving, especially under load.
You can use NEPA (non-exercise physical activity) to increase the amount of time you spend moving. Things like walking farther from your car to the store, mowing the lawn, etc.....
More recovery is always better. You can only train as hard as you can recover from.
When I write a long-term training programs for my athletes the first variables I factor in are rest days and rest hours between training sessions. The next thing I factor in are active recovery sessions. Their actual training sessions are flexible. Programmed rest and recovery is concrete and non-negotiable.
Good Journey!
I appreciate the insight.

I should add that my time is about the same for both the activities I described above. And there is a third ruck route I run in the woods when I want to mix things up. All are 45-50 minute exercises even through the mileage can be half as much from one to the other because one involves partial jogging and one is much steeper and slower.

I’m a bit reluctant to add much more weight just out of concern for long term wear and tear on my knees. That said, I don’t know what amount of weight is too much.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
75-95# your certainly don't need to add more weight :D

Personally I'd cut back the weight a bit (75-95 lbs 5 times a week, could easily lead to an injury if not very careful) AND include a couple of no weight days, BUT with more time on your legs, ie longer distances.

Time on your feet is the most common thing I see missing from most routines. When hunting in the mountains it's not unusual to be on your feet 10-12 hours, sometimes more.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with Chris that definitely include rest/recovery into your routine; doesn't have to be a full day off— a 2-3 mile hike in Zone 2-ish is a great active recovery.

MThuntr

WKR
Adding a rest day seems to be an important part of a routine. Rest doesn't necessarily equal doing nothing though a lazy day is ok. Maybe instead of a heavy long day, you go for an easy bike ride or walk on flat terrain. Give your body some time to repair itself.

And there is a third ruck route I run in the woods when I want to mix things up. All are 45-50 minute exercises
You're weekly time out is between 90 - 150min?
I would suggest looking for other activities in your daily life that you can walk or at least be on your feet in locomotion instead of drive or use some other form of mechanized transportation.
Count that towards your weekly total time out.

If you're worried about your knee health and longevity the very last thing you want to be doing is jogging with a pack on.
If you want to run, run.
If you're rucking to train for hunting, just ruck.
If you want to increase your pace I would suggest doing your toughest route with a minimum amount of weight and really push the pace.
Good Journey!

Good Journey!
Nailed it. Active rest is a fitness multiplier, the only contradictory thing I would add is to train aerobic capacity with less weight/higher intensity - Energy System Development (ESD) is worth a few minutes of google reading, killer way to get more in less time.
1718767283500.jpeg

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
75-95# your certainly don't need to add more weight :D

Personally I'd cut back the weight a bit (75-95 lbs 5 times a week, could easily lead to an injury if not very careful) AND include a couple of no weight days, BUT with more time on your legs, ie longer distances.
Agreed.

What are you trying to achieve with your training? In other words, give us the worst case scenario you’d get into where you would need to train with that much weight on a constant basis?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID