Exercise intensity: high vs moderate

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is too much of a tangent, feel free to ignore.

I'm personally trying to find the amount of intensity that isn't damaging joints. For example I don't think hauling 100# packs around is good for the knees. I'll do it on a hunt, but I'm worried doing it weekly will be detrimental.
I've slowly worked up to 70# rucks and can do it daily, but I don't do it daily for fear of joint damage. I'm also on collagen and working on growing joint strength, meaning I started at lower weights and am working up slower than my muscles say I can. I'm not as in tune with 'good' joint soreness.
Long story short, I'm trying to listen to my body, but I haven't found a Dr. or PT with a good answer yet.

Yeah hauling around 100# on your back as exercise probably isn't the best idea :)

I've had good luck with "rucking" loads about 8 weeks out from hunting season (prior to that I do get a lot of day hiking/backpacking where I'm wearing a backpack, but rarely exceeds 30 #).

I'll load up weight 2-3 times/week in that 8 week lead up (I'm hiking pretty much daily)- start with 30# of sand week one & two, 45# week three & four, 60# week five & six) and then the last couple of weeks back to 30#.

Knock on wood have never had any injury with this routine and never had any drama hauling out heavier loads of meat during the season.

Some folks ruck with weight year round, if that works for them- great. I haven't found the need (I do hike almost daily and strength train twice a week year round). I have also never found the need to ruck heavier loads than 60# (probably closer to 70# with the weight of the pack, water, etc); you start getting past a certain point (imho) you needlessly open yourself up to injury

I don't think there is a magic bullet but the study is interesting. When I bike, I am commonly in my 85% plus threshold. Not by intent it's just the way I have always ridden. Cruising around in the 50-70% max threshold seems like I'm doing nothing TBO. I know it's still exercise but the effort it very different. The results, IME, are very different.

I think they are all modifiers/variables. All pieces of the puzzle. I think the overly simplified version is keep your weight in check, eat healthy, avoid inflammatory foods in particular sugar, exercise 3-5x week for 45+ at moderate intensity, strength training, manage HTN/DM/Dyslipidemia if applicable, and pray your genetics don't get the best of you at an early age.

The constant, unfortunately, is genetics in which I have likely inherited BAD CAD genetics on my father's side. So, I do most of the above hoping to keep significant CAD at bay for as long as possible. Fingers crossed! If I do drop, DRT, I'm hoping it's walking up a pristine mountain in October. One of my favorite times of the year.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Assuming that these numbers are accurate (I've not dug into how they where arrived at), plus there must be variation based on stride length and other factors, so my guess is just two numbers are a gross over simplification.

Running produces impact forces on the knee at 8x bodyweight. Walking produces impact forces at 2.7x bodyweight.

Running, my knees experience 8x175lbs=1400 lbs impact forces.

Rucking with 120 lbs my knes experience 2.7x295lbs=796 lbs impact forces.

Using a running/jogging stride for rucking is asking for problems (8x295lbs=2360 lbs).

Now, tendon loads are effected by muscle activation forces. Some of those may be higher with rucking. Not sure though.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah hauling around 100# on your back as exercise probably isn't the best idea :)

I've had good luck with "rucking" loads about 8 weeks out from hunting season (prior to that I do get a lot of day hiking/backpacking where I'm wearing a backpack, but rarely exceeds 30 #).

I'll load up weight 2-3 times/week in that 8 week lead up (I'm hiking pretty much daily)- start with 30# of sand week one & two, 45# week three & four, 60# week five & six) and then the last couple of weeks back to 30#.

Knock on wood have never had any injury with this routine and never had any drama hauling out heavier loads of meat during the season.

Some folks ruck with weight year round, if that works for them- great. I haven't found the need (I do hike almost daily and strength train twice a week year round). I have also never found the need to ruck heavier loads than 60# (probably closer to 70# with the weight of the pack, water, etc); you start getting past a certain point (imho) you needlessly open yourself up to injury
Journal of mountain hunting had a good article about doing heavy pack work indoors on a box then just using lighter packs for outdoor ruck training.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I 3dited the OP, but will also post it.

This is a good review of the literature. To sum up, more calcium in the arteries of male athletes does not appear to actually increase risk. So, calcium scores likely are less significant in male athletes and as such are a poor intermediate measure for assessing risk. https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article/42/28/2737/6179516

In short, Ignore the conclusion I tried to make from the first article.

sram9102

WKR

Thats seems like a great idea. Boring as hell but a good workout all the same.

Clarktar

WKR
Thats seems like a great idea. Boring as hell but a good workout all the same.
Todd is a smart guy. He has a podcast and you can find a lot of good material from him at hunterpredatorpackmule on Instagram.

I do one of his HICT workouts each week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
Todd is a smart guy. He has a podcast and you can find a lot of good material from him at hunterpredatorpackmule on Instagram.

I do one of his HICT workouts each week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’ve been adding it in. It’s been good for catching up on podcasts.
I need to start doing more step up workouts anyways. 60 miles around the house this month running/rucking and less than 1.5k of elevation change. Its awfully flat here.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
This seems quite helpful and informative. Right now I’m only doing intermittent fasting and so far it’s going well.