Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

Shraggs

WKR
I got my tikka 223 finally, I decided for a potential 400 yard hinting and target gun 6x was enough.

ordered my second 1-6x24 hd. Really like that scope and the reticle even more. More money but I felt a better choice.

Juan_ID

WKR
I got my tikka 223 finally, I decided for a potential 400 yard hinting and target gun 6x was enough.

ordered my second 1-6x24 hd. Really like that scope and the reticle even more. More money but I felt a better choice.
Where did you find a tikka 223 if you don’t mind me asking?

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing up an old thread. Finally got out and shot this drill. I shot 2 rounds. Orange targets were adjusting zero. Random hole on the right half were some practice shots sitting unsupported. One thing that bit me was time management. I was rushing the shots when I had more time to use,

I cheated in that I used my range bag instead of a backpack. I will load up a backpack for future drills.

NV0ien1.jpg

First round with a Rem 700, 223 with SWFA 6x scope. Scored a whooping 12. Standing and sitting unsupported were troublesome.

WM7kkNA.jpg

Second Round with a AR-15, 16" BA barrel suppressed and 2.5-10 SWFA compact scope. Again I scored a 12. I changes my sitting position which improved my shooting, but using the shooting sticks with the AR seemed to be a problem.

qGZkyko.jpg

Will be doing this more as well as more practice with my 22RFs.

My shooting partner was helping me with timing and coaching. He is going to try it next weekend with an AR-10 with a ACOG. That should prove interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stu

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus

Form, would you be willing to share some information on mirage? Specifically:

1. How much and how mirage generated by higher ground temperature affects POA/POI

2. How much and how mirage generated by a hot barrel affects POA/POI

Your help in choosing what rabbit trails to go down and which to avoid, is as always, greatly appreciated.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus

Form, would you be willing to share some information on mirage? Specifically:

1. How much and how mirage generated by higher ground temperature affects POA/POI

That is totally mirage dependent.

2. How much and how mirage generated by a hot barrel affects POA/POI

Again temp/mirage dependent. Mostly it will move the apparent image up, resulting in hitting high.

Your help in choosing what rabbit trails to go down and which to avoid, is as always, greatly appreciated.

Get a suppressor cover, and if shooting higher round counts, and barrel mirage band.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
That is totally mirage dependent.
Thank you, sir.

Mirage generated by the ground causes the target to appear higher as well, correct?
Is it range dependent? i.e., given the same conditions, would there be more of a POI change at 600 than 300?

Is there a rule of thumb or way to predict those effects outside of experience?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thank you, sir.

Mirage generated by the ground causes the target to appear higher as well, correct?

Yes

Is it range dependent? i.e., given the same conditions, would there be more of a POI change at 600 than 300?

Yes. Think of it as a stick in the water. The longer the stick, the ore deviation.

Is there a rule of thumb or way to predict those effects outside of experience?

Not really. It’s a SWAG for the most part as far as I’ve seen.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ve learned more in the last year after getting a 223 and doing 10 shot groups than the 20 years prior

Antares

WKR
I've been meaning to shoot the course of fire outlined in this thread, but I haven't gotten around to it. However, I did shoot something else I'm please with. I shot a Distinguished (240+) score w/ a bolt action rifle on an AQT at a local Appleseed shoot. Had previously shot several mid-230 scores, but hadn't been able to break 240 until I shot this 243-15V. Shot w/ a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. The two circled holes are ones where I used the "30 cal" rule.

IMG_4213.jpeg

Last edited:

aschuler

FNG
I've been meaning to shoot the course of fire outlined in this thread, but I haven't gotten around to it. However, I did shoot something else I'm please with. I shot a Distinguished (240+) score w/ a bolt action rifle on an AQT at a local Appleseed shoot. Had previously shot several mid-230 scores, but hadn't been able to break 240 until I shot this 243-15V. Shot w/ a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. The two circled holes are ones where I used the "30 cal" rule.

View attachment 314047
Nice shooting!
Maybe my math is bad but shouldn't you have a 48 on the second stage?

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, when I ordered it, I chastised myself for impulse buying. I was wrong. I use it all the time for all the things.

Question, you got a line on tactical/FDE painter's tape?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Dude, when I ordered it, I chastised myself for impulse buying. I was wrong. I use it all the time for all the things.

Question, you got a line on tactical/FDE painter's tape?

Have one in the truck with me now. By far the most used pack.

7379BBF2-E980-49C0-A82F-3419986994FE.jpeg

Nah, I like bright tape.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
There is a difference in how you grip for trigger control and recoil control between an AR and bolt gun though.
Would you be willing to expound on this? I struggle to consistently group with my AR.