entry level hunting rifle advice

Apollo117

WKR
There is a 270wsm tikka in the classifieds for $400 shipped FS - Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM
That's a great deal on a good Tikka. But, I wouldn't recommend it to a friend who doesn't hunt much. 270 WSM isn't exactly common, cheap or low recoil. This rifle is for someone who hasn't hunted or doesn't hunt much. If I'm introducing a new shooter to the sport I like to start them with a caliber that is low recoil and common. IMO, cheap and low recoil means it's more likely that person will enjoy and continue the sport.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a great deal on a good Tikka. But, I wouldn't recommend it to a friend who doesn't hunt much. 270 WSM isn't exactly common, cheap or low recoil. This rifle is for someone who hasn't hunted or doesn't hunt much. If I'm introducing a new shooter to the sport I like to start them with a caliber that is low recoil and common. IMO, cheap and low recoil means it's more likely that person will enjoy and continue the sport.

Agreed but I'd rather get someone a solid rifle over a clunky one push comes to shove, it was an affordable tikka I happened to see. This person should have been looking a couple months ago when the T3 in plain black were being liquidated from euro optic.

KJH

WKR
You can get a TC Compass for $225 delivered right now (after a $50 rebate) and put a cheaper or used scope on it. I bet it will out shoot the hunter... even with inexpensive optics and rings. I just saw it on the kentucky gun co website...

Or I guarantee you can find a older used rifle with a scope for that price. I come across them almost weekly.

howl

WKR
Ruger American is the best bet. It doesn't shoot group any better than a T/C compass, but it is a much handier hunting rifle. The Ruger American is lightweight rifle. It will be a little much recoil in 30/06.

Budget kinda people should use .308s due to ammo cost.

Steelhead

FNG
one of my hunting partners has an American '06 and hes had a couple issues with it. my Savage 111 '06 has been bomb proof for a cheap rifle FWIW.

Apollo117

WKR
This is why I drink the Savage Kool-Aid. Here's a sub MOA group my buddy shot at 100 yards with his Savage Axis in .270.

This was with a crappy trigger, and factory Winchester ammo. Imagine a trigger upgrade and reloads.
52262cb8c3f9e2dc582c113eac4917fc.jpg

I think either the American or the axis 2 with the accutrigger is a solid bet. I’ve got the Ruger in 223 for when my nephew starts hunting and it shoots great. A buddy of mine just bought an axis in 25-06 with a scope in a package for 350 out the door and that thing is money! I was amazed at how well it shot.

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fan of the savage axis. Can get a solid package deal with a scope from your local sporting store or on the classifieds here potentially.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I'd vote for either the TC Compass (I've had fantastic luck with TC barrels) or the Ruger American.

As for chambering, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08, whichever has more off-the-shelf options where you're at.