Enlightened Equipment Quilts

wetzel

FNG
I think I am already a quilt guy as that is how I usually sleep with my sleeping bag. I can't seem to regulate the temperature in a sleeping bag when I sleep in it like a sleeping bag, I am either too hot or too cold. My question for you guys is about having no hood, it worries me. I made a ray way quilt a few years ago and found when it got really cold I could wrap the quilt up and around my head (side sleeper here) and have just my face exposed. Do you just wear a hat with these quilts or can you wrap the thing up and around your head?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear a fleece or wool watchcap every time I'm sleeping under the stars, even in the middle of summer. But I'm usually above 11k feet so not always super warm. I will admit that I have NEVER in over 30+ years of camping and hunting used a sleeping bag with a hood, and that includes sleeping in a tent in sub zero temps. I've woken up with a sheet of ice covering my bag many times over the years, but never saw a need for a hood. Personally I can't stand anything around my head......don't even like hoods on jackets.

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I've slept to -2* in just a thin poly balaclava and wool watch cap. My heat puts out tons of heat when I sleep though.

-Tim

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
There is not. We had one last year when we had built too much stock but this year building as fast as we can were shipping 3 weeks from order. We will have something sale wish over memorial weekend but no idea what yet.

6t4nova

WKR
Took the plunge and just ordered a quilt. Went with a 10 degree Rev, 800 fill, 10D charcoal inside and 20D sunrise orange outside. Looking forward to using this thing!

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any photos or videos showcasing the size differences particularly during compression between the 750, 800, and 850DT Revelations?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any photos or videos showcasing the size differences particularly during compression between the 750, 800, and 850DT Revelations?

I just got my 750 fill rev 10° today. Unfortunately I am out of town till Monday. I can compress it then for you if you don't get an answer sooner!

colonel00

WKR
I have a 10° older version Rev X with I believe 750 fill. It is a bit of a fight but it can be stuffed into a Sea to Summit compression dry bag size small or an Outdoor Research 10L dry sack.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot I don't have a compression sack for it yet. But here it is in the sack it was shipped in. You can easily compress it to 1/2 this size.

u5ezuse9.jpg

I am really thinking about getting one of these and this thread is not helping. I will most likely pair mine with one of the bags I have. Now my decision to figure out which temp rating I want.

Clarktar

WKR
I have a marmot helium 15 degree down sleeping bag. I wanted to be able to get my sleeping system down to 0 degrees, but I did not have the cash to buy another sleeping bag. So I decided to get a quilt.

I choose a EE prodigy quilt in the 30 degree range. I chose this quilt as it is synthetic insulation, and I thought this would be great to go OVER my sleeping bag. B/c I am using this as an over quilt, I figured synthetic would be a better option. I also choose the high temperature rating so I could run this quilt by itself during those warmer months. I have not slept in 0-20 degree weather yet with this system, but after using the quilt by itself on a few occasions I think it should add the extra warmth I am looking for and help bring down the comfortable temperature rating for my sleeping setup.

just got my new rev, love it cant wait to get out. one question ,it came with two bags,i feel like im missing something obvios here,but what is the large one for?