Enlightened Equipment Quilts

luke moffat

Super Moderator
One's a rokslide member and ones not. Also though I think Tim is a little more liberal in his sizing. I've only seen the one zpacks quilt in person (Justins) but they defiantly lean towards the slim side. One reason I initially went with EE aside from what you get fro the price is the owner. Tims a big guy, I'm a big guy. Only big guys really appreciate true to size stuff. For example I wouldn't ask luke who makes the most comfortable long wide any thing. That guy knows his gear but he's a smurf

Come on now! I didn't think of that pic from my last backpack hunt got out.

Really the $$$ to what you get is very high with the EE stuff that Tim builds. Also you can curtail your options there to fit your budget which is another huge reason to go that route.

I for one am looking forward to the modular system that combines two quilts into one big quilt for my wife and I to use separately or together depending on the trip. We've shared single quilts when we bivy out around 10 nights the past couple years and the X-wide certainly works for both of us to share, but the modular system should be that much better.

I would love to see two litttlebufs sharing a X-wide though, now that would be some backcountry cuddling that Becca and I just couldn't compete with! :D

Hey Tim, I emailed you yesterday with questions about your Prodigy quilt. By the way, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I would really like to go with down for the additional wt. savings, but I'm very apprehensive to do so because of moisture. Like I said in the email, I tend to use my current sleeping bag to dry my wet clothes out while I'm sleeping. This has worked very well for me with a synthetic bag. Do you think this would be possible with the Downtec? Also, if so, what would be the recommended shell to use for allowing the moisture to get out?

littlebuf

Banned
I think that's officially the first time any one has said " I would love to see two littlebufs"

littlebuf

Banned
Hey Tim, I emailed you yesterday with questions about your Prodigy quilt. By the way, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I would really like to go with down for the additional wt. savings, but I'm very apprehensive to do so because of moisture. Like I said in the email, I tend to use my current sleeping bag to dry my wet clothes out while I'm sleeping. This has worked very well for me with a synthetic bag. Do you think this would be possible with the Downtec? Also, if so, what would be the recommended shell to use for allowing the moisture to get out?

I got into my non treated down rev X in wet clothes several times last year and woke up warm and dry. Also got the quilt itself wet with the same results

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Officially synthetic is better than down in extreme wet environments even treated down. However my experience has been similar to littlebuf's.

The most breathable shell options are the 10d. Moisture should pass through that system the easiest. The 20d will keep more external moisture out but will be a little slower in passing internal moisture. All 10d with the extra water protection is a good balance. More waterproof where you want it more breathable where you need it.

-Tim

I just pulled the trigger on a EE 10 degree treated down Enigma. I never thought that I would consider anything but synthetic for conditions that I normally hunt in, but here goes. I sure hope that you're not screwing me Tim.:) I'm kidding of course.

mtbshark

WKR
Littlebuf if you where to start over with a quilt would you get the treated down version or stick with what you have at this point?

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
AK Troutbum. Nothing will be better than synthetic in full on wet conditions but the downtek will for sure allow the down to deal with a lot more moisture than if it were untreated.

Yeah, I understand. I don't think that I'll have too big of a problem keeping it dry from outside sources. My biggest concern is will I be able to dry my clothes out overnight when I crawl into it with damp clothing on. I've spoke with several folks, whose opinions I trust, that don't think I will have an issue with this. Fingers crossed.:)

littlebuf

Banned
Littlebuf if you where to start over with a quilt would you get the treated down version or stick with what you have at this point?

i would have no qualms about buying the exact same quilt. reg goose down, 850 if i remember right (the old rev x) ive gotten it wet, ive gotten in it wet, ive slept directly on 12 inches of snow with a neo air xlite pad in it. im still alive, was rather comfortable and woke up dry and warm in all occasions. i do however have an enigma with down tech being built for me now and cant wait to get my hands on it. 20 D outer with a 10 D inner and based on the performance of my rev x with non treated down i have high, high expectations for this new quilt. im not real worried about being disappointed either . between the options of duck down or goose down (treated or other wise) the only reason id go duck would be if price were and issue for you.

i would have no qualms about buying the exact same quilt. reg goose down, 850 if i remember right (the old rev x) ive gotten it wet, ive gotten in it wet, ive slept directly on 12 inches of snow with a neo air xlite pad in it. im still alive, was rather comfortable and woke up dry and warm in all occasions. i do however have an enigma with down tech being built for me now and cant wait to get my hands on it. 20 D outer with a 10 D inner and based on the performance of my rev x with non treated down i have high, high expectations for this new quilt. im not real worried about being disappointed either . between the options of duck down or goose down (treated or other wise) the only reason id go duck would be if price were and issue for you.

You should do a review when you get it. Interested in the Enigma, but want to see how it attaches to a sleeping pad and seals to it etc. I feel you would do an unbiased good honest review.

littlebuf

Banned
You should do a review when you get it. Interested in the Enigma, but want to see how it attaches to a sleeping pad and seals to it etc. I feel you would do an unbiased good honest review.

i plan on it. also going to do more in-depth field reviews and pics with this one

i plan on it. also going to do more in-depth field reviews and pics with this one

I sleep all jacked up.. I can't sleep unless I'm on my side or stomach. I feel a quilt will facilitate this better? I also hate sleeping zipped into a bear burrito. I had one issue with a bear sniffing around camp, and like the idea of getting to my pistol faster.

7mag.

WKR
I sleep all jacked up.. I can't sleep unless I'm on my side or stomach. I feel a quilt will facilitate this better? I also hate sleeping zipped into a bear burrito. I had one issue with a bear sniffing around camp, and like the idea of getting to my pistol faster.

I am the same way, sleeping on my side or stomach most of the time. I just got my EE revx quilt a few weeks ago, and only have 3 nights in it outside, and so far, I love it. I've never had a better nights sleep, while sleeping outside, on the ground.

Officially synthetic is better than down in extreme wet environments even treated down. However my experience has been similar to littlebuf's.

The most breathable shell options are the 10d. Moisture should pass through that system the easiest. The 20d will keep more external moisture out but will be a little slower in passing internal moisture. All 10d with the extra water protection is a good balance. More waterproof where you want it more breathable where you need it.

-Tim

I believe littlebuf said he was going with a 10d liner and 20d shell. If someone is a restless sleeper and occasionally ends up with their head covered, would you recommend 10d liner, 10d shell? Extra water protection on the shell, or both? Or go 20d for both?

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
In that case you want the moisture to pass through easily so all 10d. If the moisture is outside you want to keep it out , but if its inside you want to move it out.

-Tim

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Can any one tell me the differences between Enlightened Equipment and the Zpack? Price for the two I am comparing is within just a few dollars.

I own both brands of quilts and if I was buying one tomorrow, I would get one from Enlightened Equipment.

I have no complaints at all with my Zpacks quilt and I plan to continue using the heck out of it this year like I did last year.

The reasons that I would go with the EE are the pad attachment system, the option to make it a flat quilt and the fact that they sponsor Rokslide. Even though I'm an ounce counting nut sometimes, I really like the way the foot box works on the Rev quilts.

I have a 30 degree Prodigy X that I used last year. It got completely soaked in WA state and kept me warm at night. It also got wet in Colorado and served its purpose being synthetic. After the trip to wA state I'm happy I go with all synthetics. I'm 6'4 and about 260 lbs I got the long/wide and it works great for side sleeping and stomach sleeping.