Elk & Water

jvon2011

FNG
First time poster to Rockslide and I think my question is different than you may expect.

This past season was my first year hunting elk and also my first season hunting with a bow. I came close on several occasions, but wasn't quite able to seal the deal. Anyway, i did my fair share of e-scouting which I think paid off, and I found this water source. I visited it on opening day and sat it for a couple hours (mid-day which may have been my mistake).

Based on how muddy it is, how recently would you expect it to have been visited by elk?

Would I be correct to assume they use this for drinking water versus a wallow (it didn't smell like elk at all)?

If this was the only water on a ridge for a half mile (maybe more) in any direction, would you sit it rather than still hunting the entire ridge (which was covered in sign, maybe 2 days old, for its entire length)?

How would you typically set up on a water source like this? Meadow is about 130 yards long by 30-40 yards wide oriented in the N/S direction.

IMG_7746.jpg

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
It isn't automatically a "hot spot". You might think it is the only water. The elk WILL know where every water spot is.

Look for fresh tracks. You will see fresh muddy in/out of area. Through a pine bough into puddle if you think they are wallowing. You will be able to verify wallow activity.

Let the sign dictate next steps.

cnelk

WKR
Small ponds of water like that will look muddy for quite awhile.

Now if you find a wallow that has a trickle of moving waster thru it, and its muddy, then you know its fresh.

That spot of the photo wouldnt exactly get much of my attention.

Good luck if you go back

I think if it was being used for a wallow it would be more tore up.

It depends on your area but in the places I hunt there is more water than I know about. I find new water sources every year, partly because they come and go. Have to learn which are reliable use. If I want to rest for 30 min I may sit that water if there isn’t a trail around. But I wouldn’t sit it as part of a plan.

Also, if you are in OTC unit I pretty much don’t sit any water in a meadow. Elk tend to use water in trees where it is safer and head to meadow water at night.

Gerbdog

WKR
Agreed with others in here about wallows. Theyre hit or miss and elk arent the only thing that will lay down and roll in those mud holes .... seen bear do it too.... i'd keep moving and hunting those elk cause its hard to say what made that water muddy.

that said, if you take an afternoon break, i'd post up on something like that for sure. Ive seen moose come in and lay down in those, like i said, bear.... all kinds of critters around those locations .... just not always elk.