NM, AZ, Water Filters during Elk hunting the back country.

Mike76

FNG
It's a blessing to be able to filter your water if you're in country with very little or no water accept ponds with water or a creek with very little.
With the draw s starting in a few states, it's great subject for all of us whom like to be off gid and away from as many as possible.
It is a subject we can and should all know about. It can be a life saver in situations chasing bulls and getting a long way with a bull down and no water accept a pond with much water and some clarity. What are we going to do.
I think a lot of us are creatures of habit and chasing Bulls can take a hunter, miles from where he started. It's happened. Infact many times. It's always good to be prepared for the worst. In all situations.
What kind of filtration do you have? Have you thought about low on water of non and run onto water that if you had a filter, your now in good shape? We all leave and hike deep in many situations and don't think of what if. It's not in most DNA to think about the worst.
It is all good to think and remember when you're putting your pack together. They are lite they will take care of you in the need.
We all have a long time for next season and what's a better thing to remember just in case.
Remember it's on you and no one else. Thanks guys good hunting in 24 and good luck in the draws.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I always have a lifestraw or sawyer in-line filter for hydration bladder as well as iodine tabs or aqua mira.

Katadyn Hiker pro filter if going overnight

I carry lots of water. Heaviest thing in my pack. No game bags with me. One knife, small roll of paracord, emergency gear, first aide, a small paper back book. Food and snacks. Water in NM and AZ can be few and far between depending on where you are hunting. Backpacking I carry a Katadyn water filter.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
1998 Hunted NM and water everywhere. I used a handheld filter/water bottle combo. No issues.

2000 Hunted same area in NM. Had same filter/bottle set up. Drought year. Only water near hunting area had leeches or was the color of chocolate milk. My buddies filter system plugged after 5 days. I had to replace my system after hunt. (Bring a coffee filter to prefilter water!) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Have not pulled a NM tag since!

Carry water so that you know that you will have some. No guarantees that water will be available as sources tend to dry up and can be very seasonal. Seen far too many water holes that are nothing more than a septic tank for all the animals, including humans, that pass through the area.

Nothing wrong for relying on a purification system if your life truly was on the line. But I'd not recommend doing that as a primary means of hydration for a hunt.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t seen much for water I would even want to attempt to purify unless it was major emergency.

11boo

WKR
Our water is clear, and we have a lot of it. I carry a sawyer squeeze in the pack,
but in camp we keep a big gravity filter going.

IMG_5297.jpeg