Elk ruined deer hunting

I must say I was warned. I was always told by people if you go Elk hunting during the rut it will ruin Whitetail hunting for you forever. I thought no way, I love deer hunting. Well...they were correct. All I can think about, dream about, study and prepare for is Elk! What an addicting blast it was. Awesome first ever trip Elk hunting.

1f76101c2ac3aecc1dd67f706c105cdb.png

Right with you on that!!! Been working 12 hour shifts ever since getting back from elk hunting and Havnt been even cared. Mindset is making money for future elk trips

OP
N
Right with you on that!!! Been working 12 hour shifts ever since getting back from elk hunting and Havnt been even cared. Mindset is making money for future elk trips

Exactly! All I can think about is the next Elk trip. I've found it very hard to get out of bed to hit the Whitetail treestand.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I have started western hunting elk/ mulies/ and antelope. Sitting in a deer stand is much more difficult. I bought 3 mulie tags, 3 elk and 1 antelope this year. I will spend around 35-40 days out west this year. Nothing compares.

Nice elk! Yes, i dream of elk hunting all year, but there is still something about the mule deer. All I think about is hunting mule deer and elk. Makes it hard to work, especially after discovering this site. The good news is I do not need facebook anymore!!!

Yep, I have started western hunting elk/ mulies/ and antelope. Sitting in a deer stand is much more difficult. I bought 3 mulie tags, 3 elk and 1 antelope this year. I will spend around 35-40 days out west this year. Nothing compares.

Thank you!!! Now I will not feel as greedy when I go for 2 elk. Probably will need to donate some of the meat, and that isb not a bad thing if it goes to truly needy folks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was expecting to see a post that said a big herd of elk came through and busted the deer out of the basin.

But yes, bowhunting rutting elk is about the greatest thing ever. My wife always tells people "My husband disappears the month of September and I never know where he is or when he'll be back". That checks out.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I agree-still like whitetail but I don't lay awake at night dreaming about them anymore! My wife says I'm obsessed with my annual 1st season Colorado solo elk drop camp hunt. I am

danarnold

WKR
That's exactly how I feel, sitting in a tree stand for hours is just boring as hell compared to chasing screaming elk on the mountain....
I'm not Getting any younger and my workout routine is driven in hope of easier days on the mountain, When you were in shape it makes a hell of a difference

OP
N

I hate you. Well...jk sort of. Wow I'm jealous! Good luck on all those hunts! Haha

ncstewart

WKR
I agree that elk is an addiction! I haven't been able to make it out the last couple years but God willing I will be at them 2017.
As far as deer it has changed the way I deer hunt as well but for me in a good way.
I don't set as long now as I use to but I hunt farther in and have better quality sits than I use to when I hunted every day and 4 hour sits at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you have done it.......you took the first hit of crack. you are right, you have the sickness.

I used to sit all day in a 2ft lock on stand waiting for one shot. Now, 5 hours in, I am dying and dreaming about elk hunting. I love it all but nothing like elk hunting in the rut.

WRO

WKR
Mule deer have ruined elk hunting for me.

It's so much more a finesse game than screaming bulls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider

I had 4 elk tags, 3 deer tags and a antelope tag this year. I live out west though. I didn't have enough time to go on one of the elk hunts and barely got to deer hunt but I killed 2 bulls and the antelope so far with one deer tag and a cow elk tag left. I had to spend too much time with the wife on her cow moose hunt or I would of probably got to go on the 3rd elk hunt and deer hunting a few more days. My hunting partner couldn't dedicate the time needed for our Coues deer hunt so we only got to hunt about 2 days total. Not fun when we had to drive 1000+ miles each way. My wife shot a cow elk as well so we aren't hurting for meat at all. I actually gave away the meat from my 2 bulls to family friends. The wife shot her cow elk in August so our freezer was pretty full before my hunts even started and the moose filled them full.

Generally I prefer to hunt big mule deer but this year was more about elk. I will probably get a bow tag next year to hunt elk in the rut along with at least one rifle tag. Once the freezer is full of elk deer hunting usually takes precedence though.

njdoxie

WKR
Yeah, I hardly bother with deer anymore, I'm obsessed with elk (rifle), so all the energy that used to go into deer hunting now goes into concentrating on year around fitness, always try to get a little fitter, which is hard to do when your already in good shape, gains are hard to come by, often nonexistent, the easy gains were made long ago. Also, I have a master planning document I'm always tweaking, daily.

Last edited:

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hate you. Well...jk sort of. Wow I'm jealous! Good luck on all those hunts! Haha

Thanks, I will probally hunt 145-160 days this year between January elk hunt, two hog hunts, one exotic Texas hunt, spring bear, spring snow goose, bowfishing, spring turkey in two states, August bear hunt, September Idaho elk, September Colorado elk/bear, antelope hunt, 3 muley hunts, mo whitetail, sd whitetail both archery and now late muzzleloader, Oklahoma whitetail, Canadian mallard I have a full year!

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you!!! Now I will not feel as greedy when I go for 2 elk. Probably will need to donate some of the meat, and that isb not a bad thing if it goes to truly needy folks.

My wife and I will eat 1 elk and 2-3 deer, none of my family hunts much so they will take an elk and 4-5 Deer. I have 7 siblings. Also have a widow in our church with 5 kids that will take a couple. I am a professional butcher, 14 deer and 2 elk this year already. My wife heard a podcast of Jim and Eva shockey and they only ate wild game growing up. My wife said we should do that, so other then burgers on the grill and chicken we eat almost exclusively wild game.