Elk ruined deer hunting

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife heard a podcast of Jim and Eva shockey and they only ate wild game growing up. My wife said we should do that, so other then burgers on the grill and chicken we eat almost exclusively wild game.

For 6yrs now basically the only red meat we eat is elk/deer/antelope. This year is squared away again (with a bit of next year covered too), I hope to continue this for a long long time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yeah, I hardly bother with deer anymore, I'm obsessed with elk (rifle)

I was always obsessed with rifle hunting elk.......until I picked up a bow. I can't even begin to express the obsession now. I have zero interest in rifle hunting them anymore. So if that obsession ever starts to dwindle at all.......spend a season bowhunting them and see what happens. If anything......the addiction grows even more every year.

OP
N
I was always obsessed with rifle hunting elk.......until I picked up a bow. I can't even begin to express the obsession now. I have zero interest in rifle hunting them anymore. So if that obsession ever starts to dwindle at all.......spend a season bowhunting them and see what happens. If anything......the addiction grows even more every year.

Hunting them during the rut was the biggest part of the experience if you ask me. Hearing them scream off in the distance made you think a dinosaur was heading your way. Archery is an addiction in itself let alone adding Elk to the equation. Couldn't agree more.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
For 6yrs now basically the only red meat we eat is elk/deer/antelope. This year is squared away again (with a bit of next year covered too), I hope to continue this for a long long time.

I'm in pretty much the same boat except I don't generally eat anything but elk and occasionally moose. I guess I've become a "good" wild meat snob :D. I still buy some tri-tip, pork, and chicken but the vast majority of my freezer is full of game meat and it's been that way for 20+ years now. I give away my deer and antelope to my dads neighbor or family friends but to be honest I don't kill many deer. I trophy hunt deer most of the time so I'll go several years without killing a buck.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm in pretty much the same boat except I don't generally eat anything but elk and occasionally moose. I guess I've become a "good" wild meat snob :D. I still buy some tri-tip, pork, and chicken but the vast majority of my freezer is full of game meat and it's been that way for 20+ years now. I give away my deer and antelope to my dads neighbor or family friends but to be honest I don't kill many deer. I trophy hunt deer most of the time so I'll go several years without killing a buck.

It all tastes fine to me, I don't hold elk on a pedestal above the other two. Haven't drawn a moose take yet, someday!

DWinVA

WKR
Congratulations on your elk.

Been archery elk hunting in CO the past two years (haven't killed one yet) and now VA Whitetail hunting just isn't the same.

God Bless.

Turkey southern style are the same thing as hunting elk. Too many not hunting turkey the right way. We invented it down here, and I can tell you first hand it's just like elk, which basically equates to me arrowing 11 elk last year...10 had feathers(-:

Deer hunting is optional... elk and turkey, not so much.

njdoxie

WKR
Thanks, I will probally hunt 145-160 days this year between January elk hunt, two hog hunts, one exotic Texas hunt, spring bear, spring snow goose, bowfishing, spring turkey in two states, August bear hunt, September Idaho elk, September Colorado elk/bear, antelope hunt, 3 muley hunts, mo whitetail, sd whitetail both archery and now late muzzleloader, Oklahoma whitetail, Canadian mallard I have a full year!

Wow, how do you have the time and money to hunt that much? I'm just curious. That's crazy. I know my question is kind of personal, so feel free to ignore it. But I know a lot of folks would like to know how you manage that :)

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, how do you have the time and money to hunt that much? I'm just curious. That's crazy. I know my question is kind of personal, so feel free to ignore it. But I know a lot of folks would like to know how you manage that :)

I married an amazing woman!

I work for myself I always have. Started my own business when I was 17 now I am 21.

my wife begs to go with on all my trips and almost makes most of them

I keep my priorities straight, I am involved in our local church both time and money, invest into my future financially, live very carefully within my means. I keep growing and expanding it almost 30-40% a year. For all of you others wondering it's not my dads money, he is a pastor with 7 kids who taught us a great work ethic and how to be men filled with integrity and it works in the world we live in today. Opportunity is amazing to be an entrepreneur and do your own thing.

I have a seasonal business running 7 employees all summer. And I do pretty well. Also almost all my hunts are on my own besides bear and hogs.