Elk or Deer?

In y’all’s opinion what would you rather hunt, elk in September or high country mule deer what would y’all consider easier. Not just any rag horn elk or mule deer I’m talking about 300”+ bulls and 170”+ deer
Mule deer is easier and I will prefer to hunt that in September if I were in your shoes.

I can’t hunt deer if I’m hearing elk bugle! So much more exciting. As mentioned November is a different story, deer all the way. Mid August is also a good time for velvet muleys, before the elk rut 😂

Roosies and Blacktails! There are some killers on the coast who get it done every year and I am envious!

Go watch the YouTube vids of Corey Jacobson trying to kill a Roosevelt! Some real monsters in the coast jungles, but good luck finding and killing one if you don't have the experience!

Also a reason they call large mature Blacktails ghosts of the forest!

prm

WKR
Deer are a whole lot easier once they are down!

I love hunting both. Bonus, the Mule Deer I got this year tastes every bit as good (translated: non-gamey) as elk.

I would rather hunt deer, I tend to wait to go all in on deer hunting until October though. I keep trying to get excited about elk hunting but they just don’t get me excited like a big mule deer does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelhead

FNG
Elk. I find the chase, the bugling, the hunting strategy part extremely enjoyable, especially when its not insanely frustrating. The meat packing, as I get older, is more of a "hey, you lived through it!" type of rewarding.
If I had more time to hunt I would love to spend a buttload of time hunting mule deer. Typically I'm looking for deer while I'm hunting elk, early unit. Its completely opportunistic hunting though. If I can get out 3-4 days to hunt deer outside of elk season I consider myself lucky and I'm not a good enough deer hunter to really make that short of time productive.
Some day I'll have more time in a year. I figure that's when my knees will finally completely give out LOL.

NYSKIER

WKR
Muley's they just do it for me. Something about watching them for hours then sneaking in or sometimes even passing on them that gets me jacked up. If it were up to me get a muley in late August Early September them move on to elk!

Scoot

WKR
Elk! However, I find mule deer to be tougher to kill. Not totally sure why, but I'm just not as good at muley hunting. I think I have the right mindset going in (aggression kills elk, patience kills muleys), but my aggressive nature kicks in and causes me problems.

Either, but with the costs increasing its mule deer for now, elk has been a lifelong dream but just cost wise out of the range.