Elk in CO - Spotting Scope needed?

Mowy33

FNG
Hi all - First-time poster, long-time lurker.

I'm heading to CO for first rifle season in the Flat Tops area. The plan is to hike in a few miles, set up camp, and then day hunt from there.

I'm going back and forth on whether a spotting scope is truly needed as I don't currently own one. I will be running Swaro 10x42 SLC's.

For those who have experience in this area, or have gone back and forth with this debate - what are your thoughts? Is it worth getting one (looking at the Vortex Razor), or will my Bino's be enough? I am not looking to score a gigantic trophy elk as this is my first hunt, so using a spotter to score the elk isn't necessary. I would just to ensure it's legal.

What are your thoughts?

First off, I’m a newbie also for elk. Hunted them once in the Flat Tops with bow. There were a couple areas we used our spotting scopes. But this year, I am not bringing the spotting scope. Didn’t feel they helped. The elk we found were not out in the open meadows anyways.

I’d say your binos will be enough.

Having said that, I carry 8x32 binos elk hunting and will be packing a compact spotter. I wouldn’t buy one for my trip if I didn’t have it already though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always pack a spotter. But if I didn’t have one and was only looking for a legal bull I wouldn’t purchase one for the hunt.

No spotter needed unless you really want to score a bull from the opposite ridge, I.E. highly coveted draw tag. OTC or low point draw just pack the binos and chase it if it has horns (with 4 points on a side)

I generally carry a tripod if I'm going to be in places high enough to do much glassing, especially under a full moon for those first few minutes of daylight in the morning. If I'm hunting lower timber I don't carry the tripod.

A new hunter not picky about the size of an elk has no reason to carry a spotter. 10 power binos can see elk for as far as you need to. If you’re not interested in a cow just look for the one or 2 really light colored elk or one that’s chasing other elk around. That’ll be a bull. Good luck.

hobbes gave you some good advice..you should be fine leaving the spotter behind in the Flat Tops..good luck 1st season

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t remember where I heard it, but “use binos to look for elk, use a spotter to look at elk” seems applicable. If you’re looking for any legal bull and don’t care about scoring, don’t carry the extra weight of a spotting scope.

elkguide

WKR
I have my 10X42 Swaros and a spotter. I use the spotter a lot during the spring and summer but 95% of the hunting season, it stays in the truck.

There are few places for elk I would want a spotting scope. It can be nice to have if you are looking across a valley into timber.

But if you are headed in and setting up a day camp I might at least bring it to camp.

No spotter needed unless you really want to score a bull from the opposite ridge, I.E. highly coveted draw tag. OTC or low point draw just pack the binos and chase it if it has horns (with 4 points on a side)

I generally carry a tripod if I'm going to be in places high enough to do much glassing, especially under a full moon for those first few minutes of daylight in the morning. If I'm hunting lower timber I don't carry the tripod.
Pretty much the same here. I use my spotter mostly from my truck these days, but I will take it with me on scouting hikes before season, when I'm not carrying a weapon. Once the season starts, I don't really have a use for it. I am not a trophy hunter, and I just need to tell whether an animal is legal or not. I've been able to do that from over a mile away using only my 8x binoculars on a tripod, numerous times now.

I guess what I'm saying is that if an animal is too far for me to tell whether it's legal or not with my binoculars on a tripod, it's probably further than I'm going to travel that day anyway.

Buy the best pair of 8x or 10x binoculars you can justify, and spend the rest on another tag.

Your binoculars are fine for what you described. Even better when put on a tripod, but elk are big and branch antlered bulls are usually pretty easily identified from a long long ways off.