Elk Gun

uster19

FNG
This has probably been discussed many many times but I couldn't come up with a comfortable conclusion from everything I found. I am going to Wyoming on an elk hunt this fall. I just bought a Browning x-bolt in 7prc. Now due to ammo selection I am second guessing taking it. The main ammo options available are Hornady Eld-x, Eld-m, and Cx. I have heard good and bad for all. The Eld-x was my initial thought, but I have read some stuff that it expands too quickly, and you don't get penetration. FYI my barrel is 20" and I hope to keep the shots within 200yds or so but will go to 400 but no further.

I have found some loads available from Choice, Copper Creek, and others but I would rather not spend $100 a box and now I'm starting to get paralysis by analysis on what to do. I was really hoping to be able to find the Federal Terminal Ascent but no luck. My other option is to take my 6.5CM. I realize everyone has an opinion on what works and what doesn't. Is my concern with the Eld-x valid given this info? Any thoughts?

Use the ELDs with confidence. They’ve been proven ad naseum by veteran Western hunters on this site. Read the 223, 243/6mm, and 6.5 threads if you have any doubts.

If it were me personally, I would take the 6.5. Factory ammo is excellent, reasonably priced, and available everywhere. At the distances you’re planning to shoot, it is more than capable of killing the biggest bull. It will also recoil more than 50% less than the 7PRC and you will practice more often and shoot it better.

A few years ago I had to shoot a bull at 250 yards 5 times right behind the shoulder with 200gr ELDx out of my 300wsm to keep him down. Then had to finish him off when I got to him. Only the one lung had damage. Haven’t shot them since. Have killed multiple elk since then with one shot using copper bullets.

huntnful

WKR
A few years ago I had to shoot a bull at 250 yards 5 times right behind the shoulder with 200gr ELDx out of my 300wsm to keep him down. Then had to finish him off when I got to him. Only the one lung had damage. Haven’t shot them since. Have killed multiple elk since then with one shot using copper bullets.
That’s pretty terrible for sure! Definitely surprising hear! But good to have a perspective on performance!

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I shot one with a 28 nos a couple of years ago . The ELD-X left the most devastating wound I’ve ever seen. I could fit both of my fists in the exit hole. Penetration is fine with that bullet.

OP
U

uster19

FNG
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the consensus is anything in the 7 will work and the 6.5 will work too so I will go with whatever I shoot best and take the other as a backup. I appreciate the input. Being an engineer gets me evaluating way too much.

jo3hunter

FNG
i shoot the 160 cx out of my rifle same one as yours used it on mule deer last year worked great at 300yds and that's what I'm using on my Wyoming elk hunt this year

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Heard a lot of bad about Cx accuracy out of 7 PRC, in fact not sure I’ve seen any positive feedback. I’d be partial to one of the ELDs, especially with the yardages you list. Would not be concerned at all with performance.