Elk Gun

OP
U

uster19

FNG
Heard a lot of bad about Cx accuracy out of 7 PRC, in fact not sure I’ve seen any positive feedback. I’d be partial to one of the ELDs, especially with the yardages you list. Would not be concerned at all with performance.
I also heard that about the CX accuracy. Seemed people had issues in x-bolts with it.

I just did a quick search on the Federal page for 6.5 ammo. They have 21 offerings in 6.5 including a handful of "custom" offerings for the cartridge. They start around $40 per box and run up to over $100 for "custom" ammo.

In 7PRC they have 3 out of 6 available, and the minimum price is $77 per box.

If you check your local big box or outdoor store, I'm willing to bet the selection and price of 6.5 is going to be far better than the 7 PRC. It's just cheaper and easier to shoot. Bring the 7 as a backup like you mentioned.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I will be taking the ELD-M or ELD-X in 7 PRC, depending on which one shoots best.

Last couple times I bought 6.5 CM, I got it at Academy. I searched on the line and found it cheaper, they price matched at the register. (Not sure if they will price match Gun Broker)

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I will be taking the ELD-M or ELD-X in 7 PRC, depending on which one shoots best.

Last couple times I bought 6.5 CM, I got it at Academy. I searched on the line and found it cheaper, they price matched at the register. (Not sure if they will price match Gun Broker)
Well, I may have to retract this statement. Two stuck bolts with the ELDX and one with ELDMs (Both factory loads)

It’s a new gun so I will see how it goes.

The gun shot the Federal TAs very well and no issues with the bolt. Try to find more of them. Also saw where Midway now has the Federal Fusions in 7 PRC.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I may have to retract this statement. Two stuck bolts with the ELDX and one with ELDMs (Both factory loads)

It’s a new gun so I will see how it goes.

The gun shot the Federal TAs very well and no issues with the bolt. Try to find more of them. Also saw where Midway now has the Federal Fusions in 7 PRC.
Update: I went back to the range yesterday. This was the second time out with this gun. I did use some CLP on the bolt beforehand.

Savage 110 Ultralight with the proof barrel. Maven RS 1.2

The fist outing I got the gun pretty hot and had some suppressor issues. It was also a very hot day and I was at the range mid day.

This time I would shoot a few rounds, check suppressor, shoot a different rifle, shoot a few more rounds. Almost 80 rounds in and the gun is shooting very well and the Maven is amazing

-Federal TAs: Supper accurate and grouped very well

-Hornady ELDMs: Shot in the same hole as the TAs. Very accurate and no stuck bolts.

-Hornady ELDXs: This is the one I was concerned with. No stuck bolts this session and the gun shot them very well.

I will try to get them on a crono soon.

Accuracy wise I think they all deserve a look.

There's lots of good concerns and great answers with all this, and you'll figure it out just fine. But one thing you should disregard entirely is the price of ammo.

Ammo is one of the cheapest things on your entire hunt - you'll spend more on food, on gas, on clothes, etc, etc. Find the load that you shoot best, and spend the money you need to maximize your chances of killing and retrieving that animal as effectively as possible. You owe it to yourself, all the rest of the money you put into that hunt, and to that animal itself.