Elk Decoy Worth It?

I have 3 Montana's and the Headsup. My first experience with the MT.....set my bow in the blind and went 20 yds to setup the decoy. As I pushed the last stake in the ground with my foot while I was sitting on the ground behind the decoy, I looked up to see a 5 pt bull staring at the decoy. Long story short I never got to my bow to get a shot so I'll never set my bow down away from me again! I use some older alum. tent poles in lieu of the heavy fiberglass poles on the MT decoys and plan to rig up a string to hang them. When I backpack in, I've only taken the Headsup because of the weight but try to bring at least 2 when I'm just hunting from a road camp.

Steve

FNG
Being a backpack hunter, which decoy would you guys recommend. The Headsup or the poison arrow. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the MT decoys but didn't want to take the extra weight.

I have a Heads Up and the big ole umbrella type but am getting a poison arrow for my next hunt, I think I am deep into the learning curve on deeks.

cnelk

WKR
I have used a Montana decoy quite a bit in the past 10+ years with decent success.
If hunting solo I like to place it behind me and to the side 20-30yds in hopes the elk locks on it and I can adjust if need be.
Once an elk locks on a decoy, you can darn near do jumping jacks and they don't care.

In the same % of success I think the Montana decoy can be a detriment.
There have been times when I am cold calling, and the elk don't cooperate and hang up or move away, and then I need to go back and get the decoy, roll it up stuff it in my pack, then go chase elk. That sucks.

About a dozen years ago, I set out a MD near me and a buddy was out in front about 30 yds or so standing near an aspen stump.
I called in this Raghorn on a trot down this draw, as he came right to me, my buddy dusted him using his top pin.
His first archery elk.

When they work, they work.
When they don't.... eh... +/-

They are certainly not a 'Silver Bullet'

Good luck

Manosteel

WKR
I used the Poison Arrow Cow Elk Decoy when I harvested this monters last season.

When I drew on the big bull I was on a ridge line with tall grass around me, some small bushes and a willow bush to my right and back about 10 yards. To get the shot off I had to expose myself, their were cow elk to my right at about 40 yards and down the ridge a bit, the big bull was heading toward them browsing and below me. None of them spooked when I rose to shoot, the big guy just stared at me broadside, I had the elk decoy out and got away with drawing my bow in the open.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the Heads Up Decoy over anything on the market. Quick, light, portable, effective, and fast!

I used the Poison Arrow Cow Elk Decoy when I harvested this monters last season.

When I drew on the big bull I was on a ridge line with tall grass around me, some small bushes and a willow bush to my right and back about 10 yards. To get the shot off I had to expose myself, their were cow elk to my right at about 40 yards and down the ridge a bit, the big bull was heading toward them browsing and below me. None of them spooked when I rose to shoot, the big guy just stared at me broadside, I had the elk decoy out and got away with drawing my bow in the open.

That's as awestome a story as the photo!!!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

Awesome Bull.

Last edited:

groe

FNG
Our Cow Elk Decoy is our most popular. We've been around since 2009 and we continue to gain a great following for the products effectiveness, versatility, and realism.

Good Luck this fall.

GR, Heads Up Decoy

rhendrix

WKR
So if you've got a heads up decoy or a poison arrow decoy and you've got two guys, who uses the decoy, the shooter or the caller? I would imagine the caller would, but it doesn't appear that the caller has the ability to be hands free with the heads up or poison arrow setup.

groe

FNG
So if you've got a heads up decoy or a poison arrow decoy and you've got two guys, who uses the decoy, the shooter or the caller? I would imagine the caller would, but it doesn't appear that the caller has the ability to be hands free with the heads up or poison arrow setup.

You can clamp the Heads Up to a tree, but a caller being hands free with the Heads Up has not been an issue for me. The philosophy of our decoy is to have the caller hold it, call, and move the decoy...or have the ability to change positions quickly to "steer" a bull by the shooter.

GR, Heads Up Decoy