Elk Bullet for 7mm rem mag

OP
T
We use the 162 eldx. Several elk so far. Great results. Reloder 26, close to 3k mv.

P
I shot a few whitetail with the ELD-X out of my 7mm. All of them dropped on the spot. My only concern was all three bullets were recovered but in several pieces and left quite the mess. They obviously dump a ton of energy into the animal and cause a lot of trauma. They were also very accurate factory loads for me. I guess I just have a little more confidence in a chemically bonded bullet like the accubond that holds together better. Not saying it’s better, just what I prefer at this point. Shot a whitetail at 40 yards this year with the accubond and had a pass through. I couldn’t find any evidence of fragments left behind, although there could have been.

The only one I’ve recovered.

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1709.jpeg

Center punched the humerus on a cow, about 375 yards, just below the big shoulder knuckle. Big bone.

Humerus, rib, double lung, rib, hide.

IMG_4592.jpeg

IMG_4589.jpeg

Stayed together remarkably well.

P

JGRaider

WKR
Sometimes a challenge to find, not to mention the price.

P
A 160 partition will do nicely then........not a nickles worth of difference in performance between the accubond and partition IME.

OP
T

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Partitions under 400 and Accubonds over 400. I have had accubonds at close range not pass through.
Partitions and RL26 are my normal go to.

Happy hunting.

Nothing wrong with the 160 accubond. If you need a mono with that twist look at a 132 hammer.
Not sure 150 Etip, CX, etc will be stable enough to perform the best. Speed and stability are really important with monos.

DanMan

FNG
I've loaded 180 vld and 175 EH Bergers for the past 15 years and done great. That said I would absolutely trust 160 accubonds for elk as I have used them also.
I wish Nosler offered the original accubond in a 170 to 180 grain weight as I've not had great results with the ABLR version.

Nothing wrong with the 160 accubond. If you need a mono with that twist look at a 132 hammer.
Not sure 150 Etip, CX, etc will be stable enough to perform the best. Speed and stability are really important with monos.
Agree, Accubond is great.

To clarify, stability is important with any bullet, not just monos. A 7mm Rem Mag has more than enough speed and twist to stabilize monos of 160 gr. If a person needs to go above that weight in monos are they hunting mastodons or a T-Rex, lol?

Monos and bonded bullets are some of the most stable bullets during penetration because they're not coming apart like diarrhea in a tornado. They expand and go places inside an animal from angles fanboy bullets dream about. In any situation, stability is necessary in flight and upon impact/penetration to reach vitals. With any bullet, specifically monos, if it "won't expand", get a bit closer than 500-600 yards. It's hunting for a reason, not shooting which is done at the range.

Last edited:

sendero7

FNG
I have shot the Berger 168 out of mine and have taken many animals with it before jumping up to a Berger 180 vld. The 168 was at 2990 FPS and the 180 is 2960 from a 9.25 twist.

I have shot the Berger 168 out of mine and have taken many animals with it before jumping up to a Berger 180 vld. The 168 was at 2990 FPS and the 180 is 2960 from a 9.25 twist.
What data are you using that gets 2960 fps from a 180 gr bullet from the 7mm Rem Mag?

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Im in the same boat right now and have came to the conclusion to try out federal trophy bonded tip 160 gr. I wanted to use 160 accubonds but federal doesn't offer them anymore and too hard to find in my experience since I don't reload yet. The TBT are an updated bear claw from what I've heard and maintain roughly 95% weight.

Bear Claws had a reputation for being viscous in terminal performance. Excellent bullet.