Electrical Tape on muzzle

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
1 small piece over the muzzle and then one piece over the barrel to cover the ends of the piece you wrapped over the muzzle. Holds on better that way. No issues.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider

This talks about it.
I always do it here in the northeast. Helps keep gunk and snow out of my rifle barrel.

Pdzoller

WKR
You can either cover it or or risk it. I don’t risk it. A friend once took a tumble on a muddy trail and put his muzzle 8 or so inches into the mud. No cleaning kit. Ruined his elk hunt.

7RemMag

FNG
You can either cover it or or risk it. I don’t risk it. A friend once took a tumble on a muddy trail and put his muzzle 8 or so inches into the mud. No cleaning kit. Ruined his elk hunt.
Not to sound like a know-it-all, and it’s unfortunate that your friend’s elk hunt was ruined, but I can’t imagine not keeping some basic cleaning supplies in my pack , or at the very least, in the pickup/at camp. Especially if the hunt was a big one (e.g.. a Western Elk hunt while living in the East). Again, just my opinion/advice for what it’s worth, and sorry about your friend’s misfortune.

Pdzoller

WKR
Not to sound like a know-it-all, and it’s unfortunate that your friend’s elk hunt was ruined, but I can’t imagine not keeping some basic cleaning supplies in my pack , or at the very least, in the pickup/at camp. Especially if the hunt was a big one (e.g.. a Western Elk hunt while living in the East). Again, just my opinion/advice for what it’s worth, and sorry about your friend’s misfortune.
Oregon general season coast elk first season is very short, like three days. That’s where we’re from. Lots of those guys don’t even bring a backpack. It’s wake up, grab a bite to eat, get your knife, rifle, a couple extra rounds and a water bottle and drive maybe 3 or so miles to the elk. Not my cup of tea but he kills elk pretty much every year.

7RemMag

FNG
Oregon general season coast elk first season is very short, like three days. That’s where we’re from. Lots of those guys don’t even bring a backpack. It’s wake up, grab a bite to eat, get your knife, rifle, a couple extra rounds and a water bottle and drive maybe 3 or so miles to the elk. Not my cup of tea but he kills elk pretty much every year.
For clarity, it wasn’t an attack on your friend. I am sure he’s killed a pile of elk, and in fact far more than myself. My total is literally zero, as I come from the Northeast and have only lived in Wyoming for 2 years(almost to the day).

The difference is most likely a slight one in culture or mentality, and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, moving out West, it’s been a bit of a source of intrigue for me to hear the different perspectives of guys that enjoy the exact same sport as me. Just as you said about a few extra rounds, it was routine growing up to carry an extra mag, or even ten shells with us, and a lot of times we were literally walking out the back door and hitting the woods. On a similar note, we were lucky if between my grandad, Dad, and I one of us had brought a knife along. I can think of a few occasions over the years (particularly in the case of does) where there was one down, and it was later found that noone had thought to grab one of the antlerless licenses/tags that we did in fact have, but only a half mile to a mile up the hill at the house.

Without getting much more long winded, the main point behind my original comment was my own personal recommendation that a guy would be wise, if it was a concern, to not only tape their muzzle, but carry or have reasonable access to, a basic cleaning kit should it be needed. Doing so could very well save a person’s hunt.

I'm pretty much a novice on gun hunting out west. Ive bookef a moose hunt in western Alberta this year & have questions about taping the muzzle on my 300 Win Mag. Is it really necessary? Does it effect the point of impact? Is just electrical tape the best to keep moisture out of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!
Good luck on your moose hunt. I'll be hunting moose in Alberta as well in Oct.....Peace River area.

As far as tape on the muzzle, I'll slap a piece on when I remember. But if I don't, no big deal. It has not affected POI that I can detect.

Pdzoller

WKR
For clarity, it wasn’t an attack on your friend. I am sure he’s killed a pile of elk, and in fact far more than myself. My total is literally zero, as I come from the Northeast and have only lived in Wyoming for 2 years(almost to the day).

The difference is most likely a slight one in culture or mentality, and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, moving out West, it’s been a bit of a source of intrigue for me to hear the different perspectives of guys that enjoy the exact same sport as me. Just as you said about a few extra rounds, it was routine growing up to carry an extra mag, or even ten shells with us, and a lot of times we were literally walking out the back door and hitting the woods. On a similar note, we were lucky if between my grandad, Dad, and I one of us had brought a knife along. I can think of a few occasions over the years (particularly in the case of does) where there was one down, and it was later found that noone had thought to grab one of the antlerless licenses/tags that we did in fact have, but only a half mile to a mile up the hill at the house.

Without getting much more long winded, the main point behind my original comment was my own personal recommendation that a guy would be wise, if it was a concern, to not only tape their muzzle, but carry or have reasonable access to, a basic cleaning kit should it be needed. Doing so could very well save a person’s hunt.
You were spot on. No offense taken at all and my buddy could use a couple attacks lol. I’ve killed zero elk and prepare for everything short of a tornado.

WCB

WKR
I agree but then have to remember MANY MANY guys bring 1 rifle on these hunts also or only own 1 rifle and when something goes wrong their "season" is ruined. The majority of "hunters" are joe blow blue jean that barely has a sharp knife. To expect them to prepare for the out of the ordinary is really reaching.

Pdzoller

WKR
I agree but then have to remember MANY MANY guys bring 1 rifle on these hunts also or only own 1 rifle and when something goes wrong their "season" is ruined. The majority of "hunters" are joe blow blue jean that barely has a sharp knife. To expect them to prepare for the out of the ordinary is really reaching.
My favorite is when you come across the lifted pickup that has a flat and no way to change the tire. 🤣

I have been guilty of making many mistakes and will probably continue doing so on occasion. This forum has definitely helped me improve and given plenty of food for thought.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I always use tape. It’s already been said many times but tape is the best option as the rubber options end up tearing. Tape is super durable and works perfect.

MDT did a test on it with slow mo cameras and the tape blows off the muzzle long before the bullet gets there. Also no POI shift.

Kenn

WKR
unless you are sitting for days in severe weather there is no need to protect your muzzle. Let's hear from someone who went to take a shot and fouled it because there was too much rain or snow in their bbl?

I'm not talking about debris from poking in the mud
The problem with that is that if you got rain or debris in the barrel you would never know that it caused you to miss. Since the tape is completely harmless I don't see a downside.

FredH

FNG

A basic cleaning kit? A cleaning rod that would be unnecessary to carry if you taped your muzzle? I carry a pull through which would not help much with a mud plugged barrel.

FredH

FNG
unless you are sitting for days in severe weather there is no need to protect your muzzle. Let's hear from someone who went to take a shot and fouled it because there was too much rain or snow in their bbl?

I'm not talking about debris from poking in the mud
Most of my elk hunting was done on hunts where we camped out in the wilderness for 2 weeks or more. Below zero temps, lots of snow. Just don't see a reason not to tape a muzzle.

i watched a youtube video where they tested this and the electrical tape seemed to make to difference in accuracy. wether its the best for moisture or not i can't say. i run a brake so I'm thinking I'm gonna try balloons

jdub17

FNG
I have tried a few different things - finger cots, electrical tape, balloons. All of them have gotten pulled off at some point crashing through the alders in AK. I found another solution that works for me. I had an extra neoprene fishing rod sleve so I cut about two feet off the end. It covers the barrel and goes over the end of the stock to hold it on tight. It keeps debris out of the barrel and hasn't gotten pulled off.

2-Stix

WKR
i watched a youtube video where they tested this and the electrical tape seemed to make to difference in accuracy. wether its the best for moisture or not i can't say. i run a brake so I'm thinking I'm gonna try balloons
I tried the finger covers pretty much the same as a ballon. To fragile and rip. I have muzzle breaks and use electrical tape with great success on them.