Eldx vs Eldm again.

Scottf270

WKR
I know this has been discussed at length with opinions on both sides. But I have never been able to narrow down why folks think one is better than the other.

The Eldx has a thicker jacket, interlock ring etc. Seems like it should be the "tougher" bullet. But opinions seem to vary about that.

The Eldm has a thinner jacket, no interlock ring, but usually weighs a few grains more.

In very simple 1,2,3,4 terms, if you think one is a better hunting bullet, why is that?

Replace the word "tougher" with "less destructive". With the game I hunt (primarily deer, sometimes elk) I want as much consistent destruction as fast as possible. I have no need for penetration past 14-16".

From listening to the shoot2hunt podcast (specifically the one with form), they’re both really good bullets. Long story short just don’t shoot a copper bullet at long range with low impact velocity and expect a good kill (unless it’s a perfect heart shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends. Pick your tradeoffs.

I struggle with wind so ELDM it is.

Wouldn’t wind difference almost be non existence when compared to the comparable sized ELDx? They are usually only a few grains lighter than their ELDm offering

180ls1

WKR
Wouldn’t wind difference almost be non existence when compared to the comparable sized ELDx? They are usually only a few grains lighter than their ELDm offering

13gr in my 300prc. My gun also shoots the match stuff well.

I have found this guy's cross sections of different bullets to be pretty interesting. It might not answer the "better" question though.

I checked the 6.5 cal 143gr ELD-X vs 147gr ELD-M and it seems to cut 0.1 MRAD off of the wind drift inside 600 and past that it cuts about 0.2 MRAD

I checked the 6.5 cal 143gr ELD-X vs 147gr ELD-M and it seems to cut 0.1 MRAD off of the wind drift inside 600 and past that it cuts about 0.2 MRAD

If it’s a full 0.1 mill (assuming full value of 10mph), that would be 1.8” at 500 yards…. Pretty minimal

13gr in my 300prc. My gun also shoots the match stuff well.

If it shoots it much better I 100% agree, shoot it!Just didn’t want people thinking the ELDMs have significant wind benefits at typical +-500 yards compared to the ELDx

If it’s a full 0.1 mill (assuming full value of 10mph), that would be 1.8” at 500 yards…. Pretty minimal

Yeah it's pretty minimal but may as well take it if you think the bullet can kill as well or better than the ELD-X. I'll be trying out the 147 ELD-M's to see how they shoot in my rifles that I currently use ELD-X in.