6.5 WSM Load for Youth

Is H4895 a powder option? I made a youth load in my .270 using 110gr Sierra prohunters at 2500fps. Accurate and excellent terminal performance. Very mild shooting.
If H4895 is a powder option it's certainly worth exploring
I jumped on their website and there are 2 loads listed. They have the pdf that explains how to work up the reduced recoil loads. The only thing I’ll add is I started using nickel plated federal brass for the loads and I was having some blowback. Long story short the brass wasn’t expanding enough to seal the chamber so I switched to Winchester brass and have had zero issues with the same loads. A 270 wsm is a great all purpose rifle. If you can work him up a reduced recoil load now, as he grows you can work up to a 100/110 accubond then eventually a 130. Hope this helps, best wishes and good luck.

To be honest we have friends who hunt with a 25/06 and a 110 accubond. This is their elk load, if you find a good load with a .277 110, it might not even be worth switching bullets.

OP
Eiden

Eiden

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the input. I think I will defiantly work on getting a suppressor coming. I am going to stay on the lookout for a rifle in a smaller chambering as well.

In the meantime, if a 6.5 bullet of 110 to 120gr were to be used for a reduced load. What bullet would any of you all recommend?

Thanks all for the input. I think I will defiantly work on getting a suppressor coming. I am going to stay on the lookout for a rifle in a smaller chambering as well.

In the meantime, if a 6.5 bullet of 110 to 120gr were to be used for a reduced load. What bullet would any of you all recommend?
The rifle I built for my nieces and nephews to hunt with is a Savage in .260 Rem, cut to 16”, handloads with the 123 Absolute Hammer. They’re right at 2800, and the recoil hasn’t been a problem. I have some of the 109AH that I’m getting ready to try. I don’t think the bullet will be the problem, there are so many great choices out there, finding a powder that gives good fill and not too much velocity will be the trick. Looks like H4895 might work, but you’d really have to do some research and testing.

I'm not a fan of brakes on hunting rifles, I value everyone's hearing too much for that. Suppressors make gun hunting better in every dimension, it will be a bigger improvement than downloading the ammo.

Last edited: