Ectomorph Training Ideas???

LionHead

WKR
I have been battling tennis elbow for a few months now and it's making some progress, but I have been limiting my upper body workouts to hangs.
The TE diagnosis took me away from training for a while so I have been working back into daily routines for 3 weeks now.
failure?

Try this . It works, I can vouch for it

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
Hardcore ectomorph here.
I have started training to build strength and my cardio is very limited right now. I have been battling tennis elbow for a few months now and it's making some progress, but I have been limiting my upper body workouts to hangs.
The TE diagnosis took me away from training for a while so I have been working back into daily routines for 3 weeks now.

Here's what they have been consisting of the following body weight movements:
M, W , F - 10 reps of single leg RDL's each leg, 10 reps single leg hip bridge each leg, 15 reps lying leg lifts. 3 rounds of those 3.
T,Th, Sat - 20 to 30 minutes of beginners yoga

The plan is to move past just body weight and start adding weight.
I wanted to incorporate the Yoga in order to gain flexibility with a side benefit of strengthening my core. I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was 4!

I have been staying away from cardio while I try to build strength, hoping to "get around to it" after I build some muscle.

Am I on the right track or am I destined for failure?
I tried for years to gain weight and muscle mass, I ate like there was no tomorrow, at one point I think I was averaging 1 g protein per pound of weight daily. I was also doing the 5x5 strength plan or something similar. I never gained shit. I went from 6’2” 165 to 6’2” and 165. I eventually just gave up. I got so frustrated I quit working out all together for a several years. For the last few years I’ve been doing mostly running, and rucking. I sprinkle in a few mtn tough workouts here and there.
Anyhow, if you’re a true ectomorph you’ll have to work like hell to build any muscle and eat a small fortune in food. But really though if you just want to get in shape for hunting, man running and rucking is where it’s at and we can do it quite well, as ectomorphs we don’t carry a lot of excess weight that can kill cardio.
Building muscle and cardio is a long process. You should listen to the others and start both from the beginning, they compliment each other so well. You’ll get super winded lifting weights if your cardio sucks and then your weight lifting will suffer. Anyhow as a friendly ectomorph these are my two cents.

hubbs77

FNG
You can stay away from using your elbow but honestly you should probbaly address the TE and go to a Physical Therapist or look at some treatments for TE. Online you should be able to find some ex's or treatments. The solution should no to be to stop doing certain ex's it should be to figure out why the TE was happening, fix your posture maybe reduce reps but then you should be able to incorporate them back into your regimen. Ice massage usually do well for TE yes rest will be great but you should look for the root of the problem.

starting strength for sure. if you've never done any serious lifting its amazing how much stronger you can get with linear progression. keep adding weight gradually until you max out then reload and start again. if ADS is a legitimate issue as at least one post suggested i don't see any draw back to adding some aerobic base work, especially in the early stages of training. zone 2 heart rate work is generally slow enough that you aren't really taxing your muscles much, might even be a nice recovery effort between lifts. obviously if you want to be REALLY strong you have to sacrifice on the cardio side but that seems like its a ways off if its even a road OP wants to go down.

P Carter

WKR
Good thread.
To me, we also all should keep in mind that we’re not dealing with the dichotomy of a college-level runner vs competitive weight lifter. I’d bet that most of us on here are well short of — and will always be well short of — both of those. It’s really about the best mix to keep us fit and healthy, able to spend time in the mountains doing what we love for as long as we can.

for example, when I talk about “running,” it’s like 30 miles a week of mostly slow and steady, with some intervals, on trails when I can. With a goal of getting outside and staying fit. A collegiate runner, that’s like 80 miles per week, all miles under 7:00/mile and many in the mid-5:00s, with workouts tuned specifically to hit their various thresholds with specific race goals in mind. (And those guys/gals overwork and get injur

Not sure what an amateur weightlifter type does—I have no exposure to that world—but i imagine the ends of the spectrum are similarly broad.

LionHead

WKR

$25 book to cover your exercise execution and programming needs for your first 6months

A gallon of whole milk is NOT expensive and it's meant for growing baby mamals, try it for 6 months and see.

Second if you don't give your body a stimulus to adapt too there is nothing to trigger the stress/recovery/adaptation cycle so muscles don't grow.

You WILL add fat mass while you gain muscle one CANNOT happen without the other...proper diet and training will skew your gains towards lean mass vs fat.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread I loaded 65 pounds (up from 55) in the pack and marched around the neighborhood. At 59 I need all the exercise I can get in preparation for real backcountry hunting.

I've gone from 5"8"/152 to 168# in the last 2 months. Meat, veggies, and actually plenty of whole grain carbs. Almost no sugar. No pre-packaged foods. No dairy. Moderate lifting. Lots of sustained cardio (170 bpm for an hour at a time riding dirt bikes or surfing).
20181003_203957.jpg