Eating Wild Hog

Eaten a bunch of them, as in about 200. Only 3 out of 200 was rank. 90% of what I have killed were boars. You won't have to guess if one is rank, you will know 10' away on the downwind side. I don't know what makes one rank but it's a strong smell that is hard to wash off. 197 good, 3 bad. I like pork.

Beendare

WKR
When I get a big boar with that rutty hormone smell- I pass.

I now shoot a fat 160# sow over a big ole boar with a shield- every time.
I think a lot of meat gets a bad rap due to handling. If a guy touches the hide with all of the crud, bacteria and who knows what else…then handles the meat…its like smearing the meat with a bacteria marinade.

No wonder it tastes bad.

take the hide off then reglove and that doesnt happen

Grind and make sausage.
I usually save a shoulder or a ham for the wife to make pulled pork, everything else is ground. I like to use natural casings, some of the best sausage I’ve ever had were from pigs I’ve shot and processed.

One particularly nasty smelling boar I contemplated throwing away, but ended up making chorizo. I think he yielded over 140# of chorizo in links and bags. Some of my friends said it was the best they ever had. That boar stunk of hormones bad too.

They're more variable than most deer, adjust your recipes as needed. Some work harder for a living than others. The ham making kits are always great for hind quarters, pulled pork for the fronts and trim, pounded schnitzel for the straps.
The hog book is a great buy, the suadero recipe is 🤌.

Grind and make sausage.
I usually save a shoulder or a ham for the wife to make pulled pork, everything else is ground. I like to use natural casings, some of the best sausage I’ve ever had were from pigs I’ve shot and processed.

One particularly nasty smelling boar I contemplated throwing away, but ended up making chorizo. I think he yielded over 140# of chorizo in links and bags. Some of my friends said it was the best they ever had. That boar stunk of hormones bad too.
We love chorizo and eat a lot of it, always have venison chorizo ready to go (had some this morning). I mix venison with commercial pork 50/50 because I like it really greasy. Last year I ended up making chorizo from a nice boar my son shot and didn't mix anything just 100% hog and it was noticeably better than the venison. I'll be killing a few more in February specially for chorizo.

Yarak

WKR
Ive killed and eaten many of them
Usually take backstraps for chops and make sausage from the rest
Boars and sows eat the same except when the boars have matured to the point they have a permanent stench to them and I leave them where they lay at that time

I stopped eating them when I started thermal hunting them at night . Seeing hogs eat dead cows , other dead hogs , road kill and a pile a pile of cull poultry farm chickens changed how I look at them . They are 4 legged buzzards .
^^^^This!!!^^^^

My turning g point was a college "Microbiology 101" class and an article from the Noble Foundation.

Swine don't have a "lymph" system. Therefore, every toxin they ingest is stored in their muscles.
Feral swine also carry a plethora of diseases.
Pseudo rabies, brucellosis and a myriad of other maladies.

I've killed hogs and left them lay. The buzzards wouldn't even touch them! They lay out in a pasture all summer until they rotted away.

If, that's "IF", I was desperate, I would select a very small one. Preferably in the 15 to 20 pound on the hoof size.

I have eaten several. Yes, it was good. Best was one that dressed out at 10 pounds.
On the grill whole! AWESOME!
There's way too many little ones to mess with the big ones....other than just kill 'em!

^^^^This!!!^^^^

My turning g point was a college "Microbiology 101" class and an article from the Noble Foundation.

Swine don't have a "lymph" system. Therefore, every toxin they ingest is stored in their muscles.
Feral swine also carry a plethora of diseases.
Pseudo rabies, brucellosis and a myriad of other maladies.

I've killed hogs and left them lay. The buzzards wouldn't even touch them! They lay out in a pasture all summer until they rotted away.

If, that's "IF", I was desperate, I would select a very small one. Preferably in the 15 to 20 pound on the hoof size.

I have eaten several. Yes, it was good. Best was one that dressed out at 10 pounds.
On the grill whole! AWESOME!
There's way too many little ones to mess with the big ones....other than just kill 'em!
Toxins are cleared by the liver and kidneys, just like humans. Viruses and parasites are a different story.

tcb247

FNG
it's way leaner than pork from the store . A little gamey, but good eating either way

Toxins are cleared by the liver and kidneys, just like humans. Viruses and parasites are a different story.
The 1969 Huckleby Mercury Poisoning was an incident in which Ernest Huckleby accidentally fed his hog grain containing mercury, which poisoned his family when they ate the hog. His daughter Ernestine Huckleby was worst affected, suffered from blindness and severe physical disabilities.

The man bought corn to feed his hogs. They also gave him some loose grain (seed corn) that had been swept up in the mill. It was treated with mercury (pink). Apparently, Huckleby wasn't aware of the meaning of the pink!

The 1969 Huckleby Mercury Poisoning was an incident in which Ernest Huckleby accidentally fed his hog grain containing mercury, which poisoned his family when they ate the hog. His daughter Ernestine Huckleby was worst affected, suffered from blindness and severe physical disabilities.

The man bought corn to feed his hogs. They also gave him some loose grain (seed corn) that had been swept up in the mill. It was treated with mercury (pink). Apparently, Huckleby wasn't aware of the meaning of the pink!
Pig actually have MALT a limph system different than humans other than the lungs and heart.

You bring up mercury, yet you have no actual point; it's not like the guy and his family were saved by their lymph system. Perhaps chelation would have helped.

Not gonna argue with you. You wanna eat them, go for it! Just be aware, you have no idea what those pigs ate for their last meal.

"... you have no actual point; ..."
POINT: 1) pig was inadvertently fed mercury treated seed corn
2) Huckleby family ate hog
3) entire family suffered mercury poisoning
4)....including one death!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not gonna argue with you. You wanna eat them, go for it! Just be aware, you have no idea what those pigs ate for their last meal.

You don't truly know what any of your food ate for its last meal.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This is a discussion, not an argument.

True, but the likelihood of deer consuming toxins is much lower than an omnivore hog that will eat anything! 😉

Again, eat all of them you want. I doubt you'll have any serious problem. It's just not a chance I'm willing to take.
I kill 'em when I can.

Local deer processor refuses to take the nasty devils. He doesn't want them in his facility!

I don’t have anywhere as near as many in the dirt as some of these killers, but I’ve put a sounder or three down for the long nap and never had a bad pig to eat. I would double down on what others have said with the 60-120lbs body size tasting the best 👍

True, but the likelihood of deer consuming toxins is much lower than an omnivore hog that will eat anything! 😉

Again, eat all of them you want. I doubt you'll have any serious problem. It's just not a chance I'm willing to take.
I kill 'em when I can.

Local deer processor refuses to take the nasty devils. He doesn't want them in his facility!
I bet a deer would eat mercury laced corn.