Duplex or Bikini Poll

Duplex or Bikini Frame (if you could only pick one)

• DUPLEX

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • BIKINI

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
If you could only afford one, which frame would you rather own? Feel free to post your reasons too.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
I have had and loved both. For me the duplex would be my choice due to the load hauling comfort. However the bikini is ridiculously comfortable and light.

kodiakfly

WKR
I said Duplex. I know guys say that the Bikini is just as comfortable and hauls as much as the Duplex...and that may be. But if that's the case, then why do they even make the Duplex? If I was just deer hunting or antelope hunting, I might do Bikini. But hunting AK, and my other main pack being a Barney's, I like the load hauling ability of the Duplex. And as far as saving weight, I'm not an ounce counter and there's other places to save weight....I just bought a new tent this year and cut two lbs.

Duplex. Personally, I believe that the weight of a pack and more specifically the frame should be the last thing you worry about. IMO are two types of discomfort/fatigue you need to be concerned with when carrying heavy loads: leg fatigue/exhaustion which is a simple linear force, and load distribution discomfort, upper body fatigue and balance fatigue, which is an angular force. The first is pretty simple and is the least of my concerns usually: lighter is better but 1lb isn't going to make a huge difference here. The second is a much more complicated issue dealing with moments of inertia and since it is the square of the distance from the center of mass, the difference of 1lb in the weight of the frame could be the same as the difference in half an ounce of something in the outside pocket of a DT1 for instance. Whatever helps you manage the load best is the best option here to limit fatigue and discomfort under heavy loads and look to both what's in your pack and how you pack it.

I've had both and like the duplex better. The bikini is lighter and allows a little more airflow thru the frame but comfort passed 50# was much better for me with the duplex than the bikini.

dotman

WKR
I prefer the bikini, to me it was more comfortable 90% of the time since I don't have more then 60lbs on my back unless I'm hauling meat out which isn't a 2 week straight meat pack out. The bikini handles 100lbs fine just not as well but is much more comfortable to hunt with, scout with and packing in with. If I carried 80lbs or more everyday I would pick the duplex, it would be interesting to know how many have tried both vs guessing.

The new duplex has me interested though after talking to Aron, may give the UL a try.

Last edited:

Vandal 44

WKR
I have owned both and prefer the Duplex over the Bikini. The Duplex hauls heavy loads better and is just as comfortable as the Bikini when used like a day pack.

When shooting my bow with both packs on I feel that I am more accurate with the Bikini.

I sold my Duplex to get the Bikini Frame a few years ago, I sold my Bikini Frame last year to get the EXO 3500, I just purchased the new Duplex yesterday. I am keeping the EXO 3500 I use it for traveling, its a very good pack for day trips and If a buddy need a good quality pack to use they can always barrow.

Packs are like boots you can never have to many

bbrown

WKR
I have both - Bikini for summer backpacking and scouting trips and duplex if packing in with the possibility of coming out heavy.

it would be interesting to know how many have tried both vs guessing.

The VAST majority of people that I have talked to that i KNOW to have tried both stuck with the duplex if only going with one frame. I currenly own both but Personally dont like the feel of the bikini... the smaller straps and suck made it just feel like it was less robust and i really couldnt tell a difference other than it was cooler on my back.

Joe

I have owned both. Duplex all the way for me. Buts that's mainly just a body type thing for me I think. Seems like there's a good amount of guys that it works well for.

dotman

WKR
I don't think you can say it is hands down the better choice, comes down to fit. I think the duplex is easier to fit multiple body types. I must be lucky as the bikini fits me like a glove and moves with my body. The duplex felt too stiff to me, not saying it was horrible at all just that I like the fit, feel and weight carrying (not meaning the bikini can carry 150lbs better then the duplex but that with less then 100lbs it is very comfortable for carry that much weight) of the bikini better but I don't haul out moose quarter or an entire elk in one load either.

I also think the omni suspension is the most comfortable but the bikini is a good balance between that and the duplex. Now I wonder what the new UL is like.

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
No, I just wanted to confirm my belief that the Duplex was hands down the better choice overall.

Dont worry Bruce, yours is "the best"! ;)

But really its going to vary user to user because its all about fit and feel and we're all built different. The duplex works for you(me too for that matter), but their is no hands down "better choice". Have you ever used a Bikini frame?

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I am a smaller frame guy and really like the Bikini frame. I have no problems packing heavy loads with it.

I think you have to use both to really find out. You also need to be realistic with yourself as well. How many times are you planning on putting 150# on your back, how about 100#.

I talked my buddy into buying a used duplex(really so I could try it) and the difference for me is about 80-90 pound range. Below that they are the same. Above that the duplex starts to gain traction.

I'm buying the new frame for 2 reasons.

1: I can, if I don't like it I can send it back, If I do like it I can offload the bikini for a hit or just keep it.

2: Aron touched on this and it's my only complaint I have is when the bag is loaded heavy and it sags a bit I get the ladder locks pushing into my back. It's a pain in the ass. I have a 20ish inch torso and am 6'3" with a barrel chest so that may be a factor.

bbrown

WKR
As far as overall comfort I think the internal frame timberlines take the cake - easily. But that just my opinion....

I hear most of the arguments... and i guess from a technical standpoint the bikini is supposed to be more flexible and better breathing and lighter... Thus the bikini has to be better at lighter loads. But I have used BOTH for countless miles... light to very heavy... at heavy weight the duplex is hands down better, but even at light weights I cannot tell a difference at all between the two.

I think that if you put JUST the frame on and move around the bikini feels like it moves more or would be more comfortable. By the time you put a bag on and load it up, they just feel the same to me. THat is JUST ME though. May be different for different people. I am a big guy and have a specific body type so that likely contributes to my opinion.

If I were buying a new bag, or advising a friend... the new hunter duplex would be the OBVIOUS choice over the bikini for a completely all around pack.

Joe

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
I also think the omni suspension is the most comfortable but the bikini is a good balance between that and the duplex. Now I wonder what the new UL is like.

I'm with you on that, I dig my Xing.... most comfortable pack I've had up to around 55 or so lbs.