Duplex frame vs. Hunting Platform

c5mrr270

WKR
With the current sale going on I was considering picking up a duplex frame, I was just wondering if there was any difference in carrying comfort between the two frames?

Also I noticed that the new frame is about 9-10 oz lighter but I know you can trim some stuff off of the duplex to shed some weight. How much weight can be cut off? Thanks in advance.

I think it's mainly thicker and squishier foam just about everywhere. The load lifter system was also redone to give you multiple attachment points. The lumbar pad material changed as well as the size. Most of the other changes were for quicker and easier adjustment.

This is the video where he explains the changes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kF1pmF9pA

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Thanks. I've seen the video I was just wondering if there was a big difference in load hauling comfort or if they are pretty even.

I was also trying to figure out how much weight you can trim off of a duplex.

oldgoat

WKR
There were some threads on here recently about guys putting arrows in place of the normal stays on the Duplex!

aion2come

WKR
The new hunting platform, for me, was way better than the older style duplex. Here's why. 1) it flexes side to side as you walk while staying vertically rigid. It carries like a dream. The old duplex was like carry a board on your back for me. 2) They got rid of the ladder locks behind the torso pads. I have a long torso and those things dug into my back on the old duplex. The new one feels unbelievable in comparison. 3) softer foam. Very nice! 4) Adjustable load lifters. 5) Easier adjustments all the way around.

For me, there was no comparison. In fact, I was about to give up on the duplex and bikini frames even though Kifaru bent over backwards to work with me. We just couldn't get them to fit right. The new frame solved it all for me.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
There were some threads on here recently about guys putting arrows in place of the normal stays on the Duplex!

Anybody say how much weight that saved and how well it worked. Sorry been away from the forum a bit.

The actual frame sheet on the hunter is now 1/16" where the tactical is 1/8". The upgrades to the lumbar pad , back pads, and the shoulder harness are all the reason to choose new vs old. Super upgrades.

Arrows work great and are a fraction of the normal stays. Obviously it is perfectly flat as there is no curve to a 26" piece of carbon arrow. I find them very comfortable as I guess I do not have a big curve to my back. IF THE ARROWS WERE NOT COMFORTABLE, I would definitely use aluminum stays. When it comes to weight vs absolute comfort there is no comparison. Comfort wins every time. The aluminum stays can be shaped for that perfect fit.

oldgoat

WKR
Anybody say how much weight that saved and how well it worked. Sorry been away from the forum a bit.

I don't know but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just look at the Kifaru page for the difference between the UL frame and the hunting platform frame and you will have your answer

If your worried about cutting weight why not look at Kifaru's new ultra light frame? I have a Stone Glacier, the new Kifaru UL frame appears to be very similar to the SG frame. This past season, I had a successful hunt and had 100 or more pounds counting pack, in my pack, I say or more because the scale I used tops out at 100 pounds. At altitude, the weight on my back made it difficult to breath, otherwise the load was as comfortable as could possibly be, no sore spots or any issues at all, other than my old body didn't want to carry it, but considering the weight, the load was a dream. If I can get it to load, here's a pic of me carrying the load: I'm not pushing SG, I think you'd be tickled pink with either.
View attachment 31230

The OP is not worried about cutting weight except for in the context of trying to save money going with the old duplex, which is heavier and therefore asking about trying to cut some weight.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
The OP is not worried about cutting weight except for in the context of trying to save money going with the old duplex, which is heavier and therefore asking about trying to cut some weight.

Yep, with kifaru running their cyber Monday sale they have a good discount going on the old duplex frame, but the old frame is 9-10 oz heavier than the new hunting platform. I know in the past people have done some trimming to the duplex to save some ounces. I was.just trying to figure out what kind of weight savings was possible.

Another reason I'm not looking at the ulta light is because I already own a bikini frame and was looking for a little more comfort when hauling really heavy loads.

dotman

WKR
My buddy put the arrow in his older duplex, same great comfort he says and I think he dropped almost a pound off of it.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I had arrows in my older duplex all last spring and most of the summer but ended up putting composite stays back in. It just felt better on MY back. The new duplex (mine has composite stays) is even more comfortable, much more than I expected. It may come down to how much you want to save by picking up an old Duplex. There is no wrong answer.

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled the aluminum stays out of my older duplex and put arrows in and saved right at a pound. It does flex more and doesn't feel as stiff. Haven't carried any substantial weight yet though.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
I had arrows in my older duplex all last spring and most of the summer but ended up putting composite stays back in. It just felt better on MY back. The new duplex (mine has composite stays) is even more comfortable, much more than I expected. It may come down to how much you want to save by picking up an old Duplex. There is no wrong answer.

I can be pretty cheap but with the new frame being 9-10 oz. lighter and only $90 more that's only $10 an oz. Which is pretty cheap in backpacking terms.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I pulled the aluminum stays out of my older duplex and put arrows in and saved right at a pound. It does flex more and doesn't feel as stiff. Haven't carried any substantial weight yet though.

With the arrows in my duplex I have carried over 100# no problem. At least no problem with the pack and frame....

hflier

WKR
I will chime in. For me the new frame is far more comfortable than the old duplex........far more.