Ark vs Duplex, a comparison review

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Solo camp packer since ‘08 says ARK da’ shiz, won’t disappoint. Lol, now there’s a review.

I wasn’t questioning your cred, just wanted to know what you like about the ARK over the others.

Already there’s folks who have tried the DL and ARK and returned the ARK. I imagine they actually were disappointed. Others have said they prefer some things about the ARK. There’s no singular opinion.

Various reasons for that have been presented. It’s the kind of thing folks coming to a thread titled ARK vs Duplex, a comparison review are wanting to read about. You took the time to post in this thread that you prefer the ARK. Seemed reasonable to think you’d say why.

Looking forward to OPs review. Maybe you’ll share more after the heavy lifting is complete. It’d still be worth hearing.
I’ve put a lot of miles on the ark so far. I don’t necessarily want to give away the review before I write it, but the ark has definitely grown on me.

I’ve packed ~30 animals in 3 years with the duplex and it fits me like an old pair of tennis shoes. After the first couple trips with the ark I liked my duplex better. Now after getting used to the ark, I realize that the duplex was my “comfort zone”. I’ll put a few more packs on the ark before writing the review.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people that sent back the ark and kept their duplex didn’t give the ark enough time.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve put a lot of miles on the ark so far. I don’t necessarily want to give away the review before I write it, but the ark has definitely grown on me.

I’ve packed ~30 animals in 3 years with the duplex and it fits me like an old pair of tennis shoes. After the first couple trips with the ark I liked my duplex better. Now after getting used to the ark, I realize that the duplex was my “comfort zone”. I’ll put a few more packs on the ark before writing the review.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people that sent back the ark and kept their duplex didn’t give the ark enough time.

Possibly, possibly not. Depends on the reasons.

Or because their wives saw that they spent $500 on just a backpack frame.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Or because their wives saw that they spent $500 on just a backpack frame.
I was talking to a buddy about buying a turkey decoy. Somehow the price got brought up. I hung up the phone and my wife says “you’re spending HOW MUCH on a stupid decoy?!”

I tried to explain that Dave smith decoys last a lifetime, to which she replied “you always say that”. 😂

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Possibly, possibly not. Depends on the reasons.
Yep… in the return window that most guys have to try the ark, I was pretty sure I liked my duplex better. It’s not enough time, in my opinion, to really learn a new frame.

Yep… in the return window that most guys have to try the ark, I was pretty sure I liked my duplex better. It’s not enough time, in my opinion, to really learn a new frame.
Do you learn a new frame or just get used to it and accept its differences, even though it isn't necessarily better?

plebe

Lil-Rokslider

There’s a lot to unpack from any opinion. I like hearing the reasons. Sometimes, it’s very simple. Sometimes not so simple. Sometimes, I do need to just try it out, personally.

ARK launched on 2/15. I’m aware of what that means, for reviews.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I was talking to a buddy about buying a turkey decoy. Somehow the price got brought up. I hung up the phone and my wife says “you’re spending HOW MUCH on a stupid decoy?!”

I tried to explain that Dave smith decoys last a lifetime, to which she replied “you always say that”. 😂

Tell her what the deer decoys cost. Should be good for two bird decoys then.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you learn a new frame or just get used to it and accept its differences, even though it isn't necessarily better?
I think what you get used to becomes what you like in some sense. I use the analogy of a pair of boots. A pair of boots I’ve worn for a season are always “better” than a new pair of boots. Once you get used to the boot and once the boot gets used to you, then you really know what you have. I think this is applies to packs as well.

sndmn11

WKR
There’s a lot to unpack from any opinion. I like hearing the reasons. Sometimes, it’s very simple. Sometimes not so simple. Sometimes, I do need to just try it out, personally.

@trophyhill I think there's value in these words. I'd sure like to read how you landed in your opinion and I think it adds to the purpose of what this thread and review are about.

I'd be appreciative because at some point Ucsdryder is dropping this ark off for me to experiment with. I think understanding multiple perspectives would be good food for thought as I am walking. Especially since I am a Seek fan and already bought and returned a K4 this year, my preferences might be narrow.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@trophyhill I think there's value in these words. I'd sure like to read how you landed in your opinion and I think it adds to the purpose of what this thread and review are about.

I'd be appreciative because at some point Ucsdryder is dropping this ark off for me to experiment with. I think understanding multiple perspectives would be good food for thought as I am walking. Especially since I am a Seek fan and already bought and returned a K4 this year, my preferences might be narrow.
I’ll be done with it after I kill 2 turkeys this week. I’ll hit you up next week hopefully.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I thought we were going to get a real review for a second, not an outdoor writer ‘wait for it’ show piece.
My review is June 1. I could go out, wear it around for a day or 2, then put it on a table with it stuffed with sleeping bags and fillers, show you where the pockets are, and say this is the greatest pack ever, they hit it out of the park. Or I could actually use it for 2 months, have a thread going where people who are interested and in a similar position as I am, ask questions about the pack and I can add try to answer those in the review. Which would you rather have? 😜

Lawnboi

WKR
My review is June 1. I could go out, wear it around for a day or 2 and say this is the greatest pack ever, they hit it out of the park. Or I could actually use it for 2 months, have a thread going where people who are interested and in a similar position as I am, ask questions about the pack and I can add try to answer those in the review. Which would you rather have?
I wanna hear how it compares as you learn the frame, as I’m considering one and am genuinely curious how it compares. Real use and thoughts as you are begin to compare it are what I’m curious about at this point.

I understand we can’t all wear a frame out and post a review 2-3 years later.

My review is June 1. I could go out, wear it around for a day or 2, then put it on a table with it stuffed with sleeping bags and fillers, show you where the pockets are, and say this is the greatest pack ever, they hit it out of the park. Or I could actually use it for 2 months, have a thread going where people who are interested and in a similar position as I am, ask questions about the pack and I can add try to answer those in the review. Which would you rather have? 😜
You aren't posting the review until June? Above you said you will be done with it after you kill 2 turkeys this week.

I agree with Lawnboi though. Real time updates as you use it would give us all way more info than just a summary review after a while of using it. I would like to hear a write up after each use of the 2 frames side by side while its fresh and detailing how that days test went and what you learned.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wanna hear how it compares as you learn the frame, as I’m considering one and am genuinely curious how it compares. Real use and thoughts as you are begin to compare it are what I’m curious about at this point.

I understand we can’t all wear a frame out and post a review 2-3 years later.
I hear you and understand where you’re coming from.

You aren't posting the review until June? Above you said you will be done with it after you kill 2 turkeys this week.

I agree with Lawnboi though. Real time updates as you use it would give us all way more info than just a summary review after a while of using it. I would like to hear a write up after each use of the 2 frames side by side while its fresh and detailing how that days test went and what you learned.
my review is going to be published June 1. I am letting a couple of other knowledgeable pack users use the pack to also include their thoughts on the pack, the more opinions the better.

I think what sets rokslide reviews apart from most reviews is that reviewers are able to spend some time with the product and use the product for its intended use.

I understand where both of you are coming from.

Here’s on thing that stuck out to me so far about the frame…

The lumbar pad on the ark has a different feel and shape. It’s stiffer and more square than the duplex. When I first put on the pack it felt like it was “jabbing” me in the back.

This is part of my previous post where I talked about the duplex being more comfortable because I was used to it. The lumbar pad on the ark, while not as “comfortable” as the duplex pad that’s more of a crescent shape, holds in the small of my back much better than the duplex with 60 plus pounds.

I believe the rounded edges of the duplex allow it to slide down toward my butt, while the right angles of the duplex do a better job locking it into place.

While talking to Aron about this, he agreed and said that if the stiffness of the ark pad is bothersome, you can put a 45 pound plate on the pad overnight and it will break it in. I was able to do the break in through wearing it, but if someone has an issue with the ark pad, give it a shot!

The lumbar pad on the ark, while not as “comfortable” as the duplex pad that’s more of a crescent shape, holds in the small of my back much better than the duplex with 60 plus pounds.

I believe the rounded edges of the duplex allow it to slide down toward my butt, while the right angles of the duplex do a better job locking it into place.

This is kind of what I thought. I like the DL, and dont want to mess with it other than the lumbar. Hell I might not even like the ark lumbar better. It just seems different enough to where it makes me think the squared off edges and stiffer foam might make the difference, exactly as you are describing. But ultimately, I dont think Im going to get the Ark (maybe) just for the lumbar unless it fits on the DL and as a stand alone buy.

Maybe.