Ark vs Duplex, a comparison review

svivian

WKR
I’ve put a lot of miles on the ark so far. I don’t necessarily want to give away the review before I write it, but the ark has definitely grown on me.

I’ve packed ~30 animals in 3 years with the duplex and it fits me like an old pair of tennis shoes. After the first couple trips with the ark I liked my duplex better. Now after getting used to the ark, I realize that the duplex was my “comfort zone”. I’ll put a few more packs on the ark before writing the review.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people that sent back the ark and kept their duplex didn’t give the ark enough time.

The lumbar pad on the ark has a different feel and shape. It’s stiffer and more square than the duplex. When I first put on the pack it felt like it was “jabbing” me in the back.

This is part of my previous post where I talked about the duplex being more comfortable because I was used to it. The lumbar pad on the ark, while not as “comfortable” as the duplex pad that’s more of a crescent shape, holds in the small of my back much better than the duplex with 60 plus pounds.

I believe the rounded edges of the duplex allow it to slide down toward my butt, while the right angles of the duplex do a better job locking it into place.

While talking to Aron about this, he agreed and said that if the stiffness of the ark pad is bothersome, you can put a 45 pound plate on the pad overnight and it will break it in. I was able to do the break in through wearing it, but if someone has an issue with the ark pad, give it a shot!
How is the pad breaking in? personally I think manufactures seem to be going towards stiffer sturdier foam for longevity. I know that was one of my biggest complaints for Exo and Stone glacier was having to replace the lumbar pad frequently.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
How is the pad breaking in? personally I think manufactures seem to be going towards stiffer sturdier foam for longevity. I know that was one of my biggest complaints for Exo and Stone glacier was having to replace the lumbar pad frequently.
I think that’s the big question. Longevity of the new foam. Both Aron and Anders talked about the new foam and finding a solution to long term use. It’s definitely on their mind, but time will tell if the new foam is more durable. I don’t think we’ll know for a couple of years, even the old foam lasted most heavy users multiple years and light users a lot longer!

I will say one of the testers I had play with the new frame is DEFINITELY a candidate for a new belt, lumbar pad, and shoulder straps. He wanted so badly for his duplex to be as good and as comfortable as the new ark, but with worn out padding it was shocking how much of a difference it made. I think a lot of guys might fall into the same category. Over time, he didn’t realize just how bad the foam got, until he compared it to a new frame!