Duck Hunting Jacket

Cutwater

FNG
Hey folks, got a Duck Hunt in Tennessee, mid-December, I think temps will be in the 20s-40s. With that being said, I’m in the market for a new waterfowl jacket... I was looking at the Sitka Hudson jacket, but not sure if that’s too much (too hot?)… then there’s the Dakota hoody that looked decent. I recently pulled the trigger on a Jetstream, but I’m not sure that’ll be warm enough, thoughts? Thanks!

willtim

WKR
I am an avid duck hunter and the Sitka Duck Oven jacket is the warmest I've ever worn. Last year we hunted in NE and KS in single digits. Never got cold.

OP
C

Cutwater

FNG
For those of you with the Delta Wading Jacket, I'm 6'1" and 170lbs should I go with the Medium or Large? For reference, I'm going through a exchange with Sitka on their new Jetstream Jacket, the Large was way too big for me, hoping the Medium is better but haven't gotten it yet. Ideas?

I have the large and I am 5'10" 165. Sleeves are almost to the middle of my palm when I am only wearing a t-shirt and it is meant to be cut short for torso length. Plenty of room for a mid layer and puffy if need be. I'd guess large for you as well.

The duck oven is the greatest jacket ever made for waterfowl hunting. I layer up or down for anything 40* down to below 0*. Light rain shell in bag if chance of moisture in forecast. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I'm 5'11 175 and I use the Large Delta Wading Jacket here. I can layer my LPP underneath if I need to. I do prefer the large Jetstream too though so I have room to layer underneath - I'm reasonably broad shoulders / narrow waist for height / weight.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am about to order the wading jacket, duck oven or dakota hoody. Had my mind made up on the wading jacket but not so sure now?

OP
C

Cutwater

FNG
dtrkyman, you and I are sort of in the same boat! I ended up picking up a Delta Wading Jacket to start... should be delivered today. I'll post my inital impressions and some pictures in this thread later in the week. Thanks to everyone for the input and helping me make a decision!

mwh624

FNG
If the temps are truly going to be 20-40, the Boreal would be my choice as that's it's ideal temperature rating in my opinion.

The Delta wading jacket is a great piece and is my primary jacket in early and mid season but needs serious layering to be comfortable below 40f.

I run a Hudson when it’s cold and wet and it’s been solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's smarter to use whatever warm puffy jacket you have and throw a waterproof camo jacket over it. If it's really freezing add thick warm base layers and large thermos of something hot.