Dropped rifle from the deerstand

They post a lot on FB, they have a pretty high profile, I'm sure they don't want to let anyone down. Put them in the position to say no!

Thats kinda messed up.

12' freefall is going to break a fair amount of things. No way would I go posting up that way, just to get a free replacement. Own your mistake, buy the parts to fix it, and move on

49ereric

WKR
153B4B90-9F9C-475F-ADAF-A6C9B7B3C2C7.jpeg
Barrel should shoot just fine cuz it worked for the Germans. 😉
my rifle slipped away on me and hit the tree and headed down but was able to grab it by the buttstock in the knick of time. Scope kept its zero.

OP
Ward1987

Ward1987

FNG
Yeah that isn't the plan. Would be cool if WBY could help put humpty dumpty together again, might be cheaper than smith. But if they don't no biggie. I'm just surprised at how easily/cleanly it snapped and wondered if other people had issues with that particular stock. They have NOS of the same one on ebay, but I don't think we're going that route as IMO I think what you sacrifice in strength to get it light isn't worth the tradeoff.

Funny story on the whole bent barrel topic. We were elk hunting in Idaho, and as we were taking the ATV trail up to the parking point, my uncle met another ATV coming down. It was a narrow trail and he pulled over, but the guys rack bumped my uncles as he went by. Didn't think anything of it and went on hunting. My cousin had already shot a bull, so my uncle was out front and they jumped a spike. This is the selway so we would typically shoot any legal bull as it might be the only thing you see. The spike stopped at 40 yards broadside, BOOM, miss. It runs 5 yards and stops, BOOM, miss. Then runs another 5-10 yards and stops broadside again, BOOM, miss. Then it ran away. He was pretty pissed and figured his gun was off, so picked a spot on a big tree 50 yards away and shot, nothing. Moved in to 30 and shot, nothing. Finally moved in to 15 yards and shot, nothing. Took the bolt out and looked down the tube check for anything wrong, and that when he saw the barrel was in fact bent. It wasn't actually the racks of the ATV's hitting, it was the other dudes rack snagging the end of my uncles barrel through the case. To add insult to injury as they were walking out, my cousin with the functioning gun was walking in front. They stopped to grab a sandwich on the hike out and my uncle started out in front as he normally does. 100 yards later they jumped a 5x5, it ran to 60-70 yards and stopped to look back, but by the time my cousin got up it had taken off. He had it straightened at the smith, still shoots fine today.

Wrench

WKR
In the event the barrel is bent, there's a good chance it can be straightened back to original.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Alright fess up now, this didn't really happen.

You couldn't shoot it for shit and after your 4th shot 18 feet off target you grabbed it by the barrel, swung it around like Happy Gilmore going after an alligator, smacking a tree with the stock.

Either way, send it to Vortex. They warranty everything I've heard! :D

12 feet up, soft ground, did not hit anything #1 --- 12 ft. is not that far of a distance #2 --- soft ground #3 --- major damage to a rifle #4 --- sound to me like someone ran over it with some type of vehicle.

OP
Ward1987

Ward1987

FNG
12 feet up, soft ground, did not hit anything #1 --- 12 ft. is not that far of a distance #2 --- soft ground #3 --- major damage to a rifle #4 --- sound to me like someone ran over it with some type of vehicle.

Ha, this is literally my exact thought process. Just a drop, but can't prove it I guess... Although, there are absolutely zero tread marks on the stock

There’s a YouTube vid of a guy whacking a round log with a barrel to straighten it. Real eye opener. It doesn’t take that much force to bend a barrel or unbend it. Takeaway: Treat your rifle gently.

Something to think about for the OP. The outside of the barrel may have a curve milled into the taper? Is it curved on one side and opposite on the other side? I’d have a smith check it to see if it indeed bent. Of course you have it in hand and it may be quite obvious, so what do I know.

OP
Ward1987

Ward1987

FNG
Yeah, we'll have it checked for runout, but to my eye at least it's fairly noticeable. And I know the video you're talking about, was going to post it but didn't want to start a debate whether you can/should or how to straighten barrels. It is eye opening, though I think some v-blocks and a press may be a better option ha

With this thing, it's just a bending moment on the whole gun and it landed just so to really put some force to it. With the moment of inertia of a circle, diameter is taken to the fourth power, so a thicker/thinner barrel is going to be exponentially more/less resistant to bending. Under normal use a gun doesn't see these loads, but I guess if you want to potentially use a gun to club zombies when the zombie apocalypse hits, or design it for clumsy deer hunters, a little bit thicker barrel and stock that has some tensile strength are 💰

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 472972
Barrel should shoot just fine cuz it worked for the Germans. 😉
my rifle slipped away on me and hit the tree and headed down but was able to grab it by the buttstock in the knick of time. Scope kept its zero.
My neighbor was in the American Army in WWII as fought towards Germany. They were eventually stumbling onto a lot of rifles and gear. Standard procedure, if time allowed, was to bend barrels of the Axis guns so were taken out of action. I wonder if the above weapon was intentionally manufactured with that curved barrel or was an Allied soldier's attempt to render the gun useless.

49ereric

WKR
My neighbor was in the American Army in WWII as fought towards Germany. They were eventually stumbling onto a lot of rifles and gear. Standard procedure, if time allowed, was to bend barrels of the Axis guns so were taken out of action. I wonder if the above weapon was intentionally manufactured with that curved barrel or was an Allied soldier's attempt to render the gun useless.
Made that way is correct

OP
Ward1987

Ward1987

FNG
Got the word back from weatherby, honestly really disappointed, basically buy a new gun was the response. We’ll get a new barrel and a decent stock and get it put back together at the smith.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Put it between two blocks and straighten it out. Lots of barrels have been straightened....you just dont hear about them.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord