Drop test of the Scmidt & Bender fixed 6

RWT

WKR
My review of the original Schmidt & Bender fixed 6.

This scope was purchased by me used from the forum. The reticle is a #8 heavy duplex with very thick lines. I am shooting on my land off a bench to a target 107 yards away.

The scope was mounted following recommended RS procedure. Everything was degreased with acetone and blue Loctite. No paint pen today.

The rifle is a bone stock Bergara Ridge SP 6.5 Creed, Warne rail and rings. Rail is 380 epoxied to the action. Triggered adjusted to avg 2.2 lbs based on my scale. TBAC 7 for the suppressor. Suppressor stayed on for the entirety of the test. I am shooting off bags on a homemade bench. Weather is hot and humid no wind. 80 degrees and cooler than normal morning due to last night rain for this time of the year in Texas.
IMG_8756.jpg
The media is costal and prairie grass on a ½” gym mat that is at least 12 years old and been in my garage in front of the bench. Cows didn’t eat enough and the grass did not grow enough since last week’s testing to matter. Drops were conducted from knee and waist high. I am 6’0.
IMG_8757.jpg
Starting group with this rifle was 2.25”. This is the first time shooting this scope so I have no base line to judge against. Winchester 125 OT Range ammo. The crosshairs are so thick it made it very difficult to see the 2” orange sticker. This reticle is fine for hunting, but not optimal for shooting tiny groups. I’ve used a 1.5x6 Nikon previously and found it very adequate to 400 yards for big game. Shot my elk with that scope on 6X after running 400 yards then dropping prone, landing in tiny cactus and hit the bull in the heart at 326 yards. I believe this model will fill that same niche. I am curious if the reticle or the lower power caused my group to be over 2”? I have previously used this rifle with higher magnification scopes and can consistently shoot a 1.5” 10 shot group. I shoot 10-12x with higher mag scopes when I execute the 10 shot groups. However, I do drop the mag down to 8x once I have an animal and am ready to pull the trigger. This sounds like something to discuss over adult beverages, but I suspect the consensus will be, “you can’t hit what you can’t see”. I have 3, 4, & 5” targets I may work with before removing this scope to see if my group shrinks.

IMG_8759 - Copy.jpg

The dead center shot is to confirm the 2 mils left adjustment after the 10-shot cone group (C). First three 18” drops shots (#1,2,3) showed a 1” drop down and to the right, but still in the cone. I notice after the 3rd drop; I did not attach the turret caps after sighting in. Attached caps. The first 36” drop (left side #4) was back to center. Then the 36” (top #5) drop was fine, then the 36” drop (right side# 6) showed a 1.5” movement to the right. I then shot again without a drop and the #7 shot dropped back into the cone. There was a 20-minute break between shots 7&8. I then moved to the 3 36” drops (left side #8) and noticed a large movement to the right. I may have pulled this one as it was the first shot back after a fiasco with my cows. Then 3 36” (top #9) was in the cone. Three more 36” drops on (right side #10) was fine and finally 3 consecutive 36” drops (one per side) for #11. The 11th shot was way out of the cone and caused the group size to increase. Total 18 drops and 12 shots.
IMG_8763.jpg
IMG_8760 - Copy.jpg
The group size increased from 2.25” to 2.85” after the drops. The group size experienced the greatest increase AFTER the 9 consecutive drops. Again, some of the issue could be my inability to clearly see the target and when combined with my limited shooting ability the .60 or ½” increase in size is negligible IMO.
IMG_8764.jpg
Although the effort does not match the accepted RS testing criteria, I believe it will serve most hunters seeking a fixed power scope well as a set and forget system to a maximum of 400 yards on deer or larger game. I would have no issues recommending the S&B fixed 6.

Last edited:
Informative, my one question about group sizes would be, would having something with a contrasting black center dot be an improvement for your point of aim? I know I'm guilty of having more wobble when I don't have a high contrast point of aim.

OP
R

RWT

WKR
I do not believe so as this 2” dot is completely covered by the cross hair. I plan on trying it with a 3” target to see if the group tightens up

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome to see someone test this scope, I’ve been looking at fixed 6x options and unfortunately they are becoming harder and harder to find.

I have an old leupoold m8 6x36 that my dad gave me when I purchased my first rifle, It has been very reliable. It has held zero on 2 rifles and a muzzleloader over a span of 24 years, with multiple drops, falls, banging around on four wheelers, horses etc. I’ve considered just finding a similar used leupold, but it’s not very good in low light, and is reticle options are limited.

I have a newer fxii that I’ll be trying out, and I’m curious to see if it is reliable or not, I seem to remember Form saying that about the time leupold switched from the m8 line to the fx line was when they started having issues.

I’m also happy to hear I’m not the only one who has “fiasco’s with cows” haha

OP
R

RWT

WKR
I have plans on testing the Nikon 1.5x6 . I purchased the scope from the bargain cave at Cabela's in 2004. Also makes me curious about some of the newer LPVO options. Unfortunately many of those options have "tactacool" reticles. .

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I use several scopes with heavier reticles. I've found it helpful to use a large/thicker X on the target rather than a crosshair or dot that is thinner than the reticle. Depending on the reticle, the X seems to help me hold more consistently.

OP
R

RWT

WKR
A quick update. I had time to reshoot the S&B 6 on a different size target. I used the original drop test target and added 4" stickers. I either had a better day shooting or my 10 shot group improved by 2/3 MOA.

IMG_8788.jpgIMG_8789.jpg

I then proceeded to drop test again to determine if my groups improved. I know I pulled the # 3 shot and called it. If you compare the first test results to the second IMO the scope held zero as much as can be expected considering me behind the trigger. The second drop test showed the same total group size as the first. (assuming I pulled #3). The size of the target just made it easier to see.
IMG_8790.jpgIMG_8791.jpg

What does this tell me, based on the intended purpose of this scope, set, forget and stay within my limitations on distance and animal size?

I need to see it to shoot tiny groups and my old eyes with bad reticles make a difference only with shooting for group size at this magnification.
If I can see "it" I can hit "it", even with "pulling" a shot. Both groups will kill a deer sized animal at 200 and elk at 400. (I lined up on my cows to see how they look at 2-350 yards in this scope. They would be burger if I am prone on a pack.)
Reticles matter and are more important than glass.

This model scope held zero to my requirements, maybe not RS's, but it passed the RFT.

This test also showed me, I should not be using hold over reticles at this magnification for distances past 400 yards (300 in reality for deer). We've all done it. " Just put his back at the top of where the reticle gets thick".

OP have you tried a 6 o'clock hold?

the easiest target to shoot on would be an inverted triangle.

aim small and miss small.