Drew Arizona Elk Unit 8 Late

Rmdykeman

FNG
Congrats! That late hunt can be extremely difficult. Hunting pressure will be the biggest battle, lots of tags and lots of people helping making the woods very crowded.

Sent ya a PM

YUP, quite a few Hunters and friend's, show up, a lot of them are Road Hunters tho, so get in shape and plan on walking at least a 1/2 mile or, more from a road, to get away from them!. Those Elk, have been hunted for 2 Months so, it won't be easy. You will need; good Bino's, shooting sticks, a strong Pack, Bipod, Layered clothing, etc. Practice shooting, your Rifle to 500-600 yards, sitting and prone, but close shots can happen (so practice some, offhand shooting, too). If you want to see a close representation of the Hunt you are going on, watch Travis Volk's, DIY Ariz. late Elk hunt on YouTube, 2014 and 2017 as, it's real World, late Rifle, IMO. There are a Lot of Elk in unit 8 and some nice Trophy's, over 300", the trick is finding them and not shooting one with, broken horns! Another word of advice is stay optimistic everyday (Bulls can show up, when least expected) and hunt the entire 7 day season,.. Good luck to you ! See you in Flag, maybe !

Last edited:
PS; Congrat's, on drawing the Tag !
Bring a friend or two, to help, "spot" the Elk, your shots, if missed, where the Elk fell and,.. to carry out the Meat !
Big Bull's, can stay high, in the Timber with Snow up to their belly or low, in the nastiest brush choked, Canyons so be flexible as, to Elevation.
Unless migrating with a herd, the Bulls usually don't move around too much, they want, feed, water and rest!

Last edited:

CaseyD

FNG
Like said before, spot and stalk is the way to go for the late rifle hunt in 8, also lots depend on weather, so I’d figure out a high and low spot. I hunt that unit a ton, PM me with some areas your looking at and I’ll see if I can help out. Great area overall, congrats on the draw!

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I drew that tag too, will be a good year in AZ. You will find elk low and high, just try to get away from all the people!

I’ll be across sycamore canyon in 6B helping my wife. In my experience 95% of AZ hunters drive hunt (even though it’s not legal). I suggest reading up on the general areas from the AZGFD, scouting to pinpoint good spots, and getting away from roads.

Trying to decide between 6B and 8, both late rifle, when hunting down deep in Sycamore Canyon with my pack goats. Having a hard time choosing. Any insights?

Trying to decide between 6B and 8, both late rifle, when hunting down deep in Sycamore Canyon with my pack goats. Having a hard time choosing. Any insights?
I haven’t hunted elk in 8 and I didn’t put in for AZ elk this year at all (other obligations this year) but I think more of 8 would be practical to hike into. We got stopped by bluffs on the 6B side trying to go into the canyon a lot. I didn’t see any elk while glassing into the areas that would be a little easier to hike in 6B, although due the snow I didn’t check out the entire canyon N to S. Tbh, it sounds like Kachina would be more of the experience you’re looking for

Last edited:

Kopmana

FNG
Hi, just found out my brother, a buddy and myself drew this same Late Rifle Bull elk tag for 2024 season. Would anyone be willing to share their experiences on this hunt?

Last edited: