Draw weight

Slim Jim

WKR
How does everyone shoot 70+ lbs? I shoot 60 lbs. and I workout 5 days a week and have for twenty+ years now. I shoot almost everyday at least 50 arrows and my draw shoulder starts to get tired and next day just a little sore. I have the new Bowtech insanity which keeps my speed at 296 fps with a 400g arrow and a 28.5" draw so I think I'm good with most big game. I have only been shooting bows for about 2 years now. Should I be shooting with more draw weight?

6t4nova

WKR
Shoot with what you are comfortable with. More draw weight isn't always a good thing. Put it in the boiler room and you're good to go.

velvetfvr

WKR
Shoot with what you are comfortable with. More draw weight isn't always a good thing. Put it in the boiler room and you're good to go.

X2! I just shoot almost everyday and do a lot if shoots and I always was able to go up in poundsge every month until I hit 70. Will probably go down to 60 in a couple years so I don't injure my self.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Bowtech Destroyer 340 at 61 lbs and a 430 grain arrow. The elk in my avatar was shot with the same bow and a 388 grain arrow. Nearly a complete pass thru. After I broke my wrist three years ago I had to turn my Matthews down to 54 lbs to be able to hunt. I was shooting a 400 grain arrow. Killed two whitetails with that set up. Complete pass thru on a doe; shot high and broke the back of a 4x4 buck. You have more than enough going for you with your set up.

2rocky

WKR
Elk and moose have fallen to 50# bows with similar arrow weights.

If you are accurate and can hold that 60# bow back while your prey is obscured by brush trumps shaking like you are shi**ing a peach pit trying to hold 70#.

kcm2

WKR
60 or so...complete pass throughs on broadside shots.

All modern compounds are fast enough. I seldom shoot past 30 yds anyway although I can....

RUTTIN

WKR
I think your better off to shoot what you are comfortable with. I also think it comes down to how hard of a draw cycle some bows have, a more forgiving bow would be easier to draw a heavier poundage. With today's bows, arrows, and broadheads I don't think you need to shoot an uncomfortable poundage to get a complete pass through on most big game.

ckleeves

WKR
I shower in vodka and shoot arrows out of my 100lb recurve just to feel like a man a few times a year. Then I rinse off and go back to my 72lb compound.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I shower in vodka and shoot arrows out of my 100lb recurve just to feel like a man a few times a year. Then I rinse off and go back to my 72lb compound.

Will the real "Most Interesting Bowhunter in the World" please stand up!:p

Last edited:
Same thing as working out... if you never go up in weight you will be limited in how much you can pull back. Start shooting 70# bow and in a few weeks you'll feel like you're shooting a 60# bow.

Mike

Maxhunter

WKR
I draw 65lbs and have for years and my draw length is 26.5! The animals I've taken have noticed the difference. Like stated shoot what feels comfortable to you and your accurate with!