Down booties for stand hunting?

Hey all,

I have VERY poor circulation to my hands and feet. Recently I saw an ad for the kuiu super down burner booties and it got me wondering if anyone has utilized similar booties to keep feet warm In the stand. I’m wondering if hiking in with uninsulated boots and changing into the booties would be a viable option?
I have been using the artic shield boot covers the past couple of years which do help but still don’t solve my problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Following. I've been thinking of the same thing and I'm really thinking about trying it and also fastening something like one of those foam gardening knee pads or something similar to my platform. That combo just sounds like another level of comfort sitting in the tree.

OP
J
I may buy a pair and just try it out. Get up in stand shed the boots and then slip on the booties not sure where I would store my boots maybe in my pack

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I started using booties in the deer stand last year. It’s been a game changer. My feet always get cold and the over the boot covers make all the difference. You can throw a hand warmer in there for extra warmth.

I use some of the cheaper ones off amazon and they work just fine.

KyleR1985

WKR
I use the north face down slippers with hard rubber sole. For a different reason though.

I wear stocking foot waders a lot for hunting in or near water. Slip wading boots off at height, slip on the booties.

Anything dry and above 15-20* I just wear normal boots laced loose with merino socks.

Warm core warm feet.

EdP

WKR
The ice breakers look great but you have to keep your legs warm too if you want your feet to be warm. Are you using puffy pants?

I have played with this option. While effective for warmth to switch to down booties there are some issues.

If you are talking whitetail, I am very conscious of ground scent. I only wear rubber knee high style boots. One issue with booties is you must remove the boots you walked in with. That expels tons of scent and then what do you do with those boots while on stand?

I also prefer to eliminate as much rigmarole as possible. Get in clean and quietly and keep movement to a minimal. I did not like all the messing around switching boots.

My current system for extreme cold is to buy oversized Burly type insulated boots. Mine are 2400 gram Cabelas model. Put in a warm insole. (heated ones are available now) Wear a liner sock that wicks away moisture then heavy merino or alpaca over that. I drive to my spot with Crocs on in car and then put stick on toe warmers on before putting on boots. They last for 4 hours or more.

I bought heated socks recently and will be trying them this season. I have the heated Pnuma vest. Works great. I wait a few hours until the cold starts to creep in before turning it on.

OP
J
The ice breakers look great but you have to keep your legs warm too if you want your feet to be warm. Are you using puffy pants?

I have not been using puffy pants, I have first lite furnace baselayers that I like but I probably need to upgrading bibs. Have an older pair of UA ones that are not wind proof

OP
J
I have played with this option. While effective for warmth to switch to down booties there are some issues.

If you are talking whitetail, I am very conscious of ground scent. I only wear rubber knee high style boots. One issue with booties is you must remove the boots you walked in with. That expels tons of scent and then what do you do with those boots while on stand?

I also prefer to eliminate as much rigmarole as possible. Get in clean and quietly and keep movement to a minimal. I did not like all the messing around switching boots.

My current system for extreme cold is to buy oversized Burly type insulated boots. Mine are 2400 gram Cabelas model. Put in a warm insole. (heated ones are available now) Wear a liner sock that wicks away moisture then heavy merino or alpaca over that. I drive to my spot with Crocs on in car and then put stick on toe warmers on before putting on boots. They last for 4 hours or more.

I bought heated socks recently and will be trying them this season. I have the heated Pnuma vest. Works great. I wait a few hours until the cold starts to creep in before turning it on.

These are all great points, I don’t like having a lot of stuff to take on or off at the stand either. Right now im thinking the boot blankets might be the best option to try for now

Rich M

WKR
When I hunt very cold climates - will carry thermacare type warmers. Lower back one works great for keeping me warm.

I do carry a dry change of socks most hunts.

They have to make something you could drop in your boots if necessary. I know they make electric socks.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I use the ones (don't recall the brand) that slip over your boots and zip up. These have been a game changer for me.

Rjk300

FNG
I bought my daughter heated socks for whitetail hunting. We tried artic shield even though I think they work fine she didn’t. The socks Bluetooth to her phone and she uses them as needed so no more cold feet so more time hunting.

I do a combination of most things listed, depending on the situation. My feet are the first thing to get cold since they sweat a good bit. As for scent, I don't worry about it. If I am not out hunting I'm not going to have a chance at one. If super worried about it put the boots you walk in with in a rubber bag that you haul hunting clothes around in at the base of the tree. I change into over sized foot wear, with an insole that is thick felt then a battery heated one. Fresh wool socks that are looser-fitting or heated ones. I have not had good luck with the chemical heaters being consistent so I went with battery heaters. The new ones are nice since you can control it all with your phone and not do yoga in a tree to adjust the settings. The socks that heat your leg are nice to keep circulation moving, along with compression socks. Hydration is key also. I want everything dry to wick moisture away and to try not to get clammy quickly. For boot, I have pretty much just gone with surplus bunny boots.

gumbl3

WKR
Do it! I do it just for comfort. Get the boots off, they limit circulation and pull on a pair of hard soled down booties (only cause they don't get torn up). Feet have never been cold since, I don't change socks either

pilgrim7

FNG
I've been using Arctic shield boot blankets over my boots for years. They work great and make less noise against metal saddle platforms/ hang on stands.

SloppyJ

WKR
Artic Shield boot blankets for me for the scent reason. I'm not trying to take my shoes off. My wife got me a heated pair of socks off amazon last year. They work great too.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I started last year. I would have done it earlier but they are kinda pricey. I got the Western Mountaineering ones. They were awesome. I like them because I can wear just a normal pair of boots and socks and then put my feet in those booties. Heck you can slip a handwarmer in them too.